Quick Drury Curve Question

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I've used the Bauer Gagne and am now using the TPS Perry. I know all 3 are similar, but what are the slight differences?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Jarick - as you probably from MSH, I am a Drury user. Actually the P91A on my XXXX. I just find my shot is very hard (wrister) and I find the accuracy great on it. I can stickhandle with ease, pass no problem, etc. I also find too, that with the blade itself being virtually straight, just with a wedge and a kink kind of, that deflections are pretty easy too with the Drury, especially tipping a low shot up high.

I am considering going to a P106, or even a P92 pattern. I have a 2 pc easton that needs a new blade, and want to get a high end blade for it in a Drury type patter or close to it. Don't like the Easton blades though as the heels are very brittle I find. So, if anyone has a new or like-new RH comp blade in a Drury or similar that they are looking to get rid of, msg me!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I have to bump this again.

I went down to the shooting range tonight to see how it worked. OH MY GOD.

Despite my horrible videos, I've got a decent shot. When I'm not trying too hard, I'm good at leaning into my stick and snapping my wrists. It's the accuracy that throws me off, and then I spend an hour shooting until I'm sore and angry.

First time using the Drury tonight, aside from the two wrist shots I took on Friday...and BY FAR the best accuracy I've ever had. It was comical.

I bought some more pucks tonight and was aiming high left and hit about 17 of 20 in that corner. Before, I'd probably be maybe 10 in the net but most just wide or high. This time, it was seriously over and over right into the corner.

I had a nice string of four shots that went bar down within a couple inches of each other. Nuts.

But the previous time I tried to use a Drury, I couldn't shoot low...this time not a problem at all. I literally had to keep my stick damn near on the ground on the follow through, but the shots were right where I aimed, left, right, or five hole. Typically on low corners I could get maybe only 8 of 20 shots where I'm aiming (most of the time it would go wide or up in the corner), this time it was probably closer to 15. The other thing that worked really well was not leaning so much into them, just trying to quickly snap that puck low rather than bearing into it.

And especially fun, the velocity was better than normal too. I only took snappers because it's a wood blade and torqued off target for slappers, and frankly I don't want to take pure wrists shots anymore.

What I found was that, no matter the shot, I have to roll the blade over the puck before shooting. Don't try to wind up, don't try to do anything fancy, just cup the blade over the puck a bit with the puck right in the back corner, lean in and snap the wrists in one motion, and the puck goes where I want.

I think the reason it's working so well is that the blade is so flat that it's forgiving of where you release the puck. With a mid curve, if the puck is 1/4" off when you snap your wrists at the release point, it could change course quite a bit. And because it's got that kink at the heel, it puts a ton of spin and zip on the puck compared to the Modano, which just kind of lobs it.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited about the Drury.

TinofGrizz

Feb 5, 2010
i dont find the lidstrom/drury to be all that close, not counting the square toe. it seems to sit further out, which to me says its bent a bit more at the heel, and seems to have more curve throughout. i get how its essentially a heel curve, but i think there are differences, and ive never been convinced the lie is the same.

P5 Getzlaf (Lidstrom):
Lie: 5.5
Depth: 12mm 1/2''
Curve: Heel
Face: Open

P6 Parise (Drury):

Information taken directly from the 2010 Easton Fall Catalog. The only difference is the round/square toe. When I find a deal on a closeout Lindstrom stick I buy that, when the deal is on the closeout Drury stick I buy that. I switch back and forth between the two like it is the same exact curve.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I figured why start another thread?

I have been shooting in my backyard trying to get used to this curve. My others are mid curves (P88 and Sackic). I really feel like I have more control of elevation with the Drury clone (Kovy from Warrior) as well as feel the puck on my blade longer.

The few times I've played pickup, I noticed better stick handling and backhand command. I find most of my shooting marks are on the heel, so it's really getting used to the wedge factor.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
I'm so glad that I finally decided to try out the Drury curve! It is so easy to elevate the puck with snap shot, wrist shots and slap shots. Long live the Drury curve!!!

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
Im big on the Drury as well. But once I started to get stronger on my stick I was actually putting pucks OVER the net from practicly in the blue paint. The wedge is geting to be a bit to extreme. I can still handle decently with it though. Using the Warrior Kovalev atm.

BadHammy*

The Drury clones are really popular at the NHL level for a reason. They rock. I like mine with slightly less loft though. For some reason, I do really well keeping my snappers down with it, wristers are ideal, the slappers are really hard for me to keep down though unless I really think about it, ditto for backhanders.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
For any mid-curve users reading this thread and getting excited, make sure to try before you buy! By that I mean try out a friend/teammates heel curve for as long as possible, or get a cheap woody with a heel curve before investing in a more expensive stick. I have a stick with a heel curve and lots of loft, tried to use it for quite a while, never liked it at all. Some people swear by them, but if you've never used a heel curve before it's VERY different, you may like it but you may not.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Ok, looking to switch from maybe a Lidstrom to a Drury as the Lidstrom is a bit too drastic of a curve I've found out the last couple games. I know they're the same lie, but how much rocker does the Drury have? Pics would be good, as I'm trying to compare.

It is funny, but NO ONE has answered the initial question or even attempted that. Instead the old thread that had little to do with Drury or Lidstrom rocker was rolled in. I mean, please... I like to see my old posts on Drury curve (esp. #18 here), but most of content of the entire conversation is irrelevant to what was asked.

The stick blade rocker similarly to skate blade rocker shows how much of the curve the BOTTOM of the blade gets. The more the rocker the less is the length where blade touches the ice. The advantage of low rocker is that it is more forgiving on slap and snap shots. The higher rocker, in essence, means that stick has somewhat variable lie and it is , therefore suitable for players who like to stick-handle close and away from the body. Those are mostly forwards.
I believe Lidstrom/ Getzlaf differs from Drury/Parise only with respect to rocker. It is greater on Lidstrom, although the blade toe is square.
Ds often prefer square toes as it allows to pick the puck from the boards better. Higher rocker allows puck moving Ds (like Lidstrom) to stick handle better. Players like Lidstrom do not care about blage forgiveness when shooting, they do not need it as their shots are highly consistent. Some forwards (Gettzlaf, Lecavalier) prefer square toe as they do not value the benefits for toe drag the round toe offers.

Having said all of that I consider Drury and Lidstrom practically the same. I like Drury better because, being anything but top skill, I like its forgiveness on the slapper, but it is truly minor. The next in line to Drury is Staal (P91A) by Bauer, Kovalev by Warrior, Lecavalier by RBK and Ovechkin by CCM ( the last two are like Lidstrom -Drury differ by toe shape only).

Last edited:

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
This thread might as well just become the Drury Curve thread.

Anyway, I was someone that made the mistake of only really using mid curves with the exception of the pm9 mid-heel. I found a dolomite on sale for 50% off with the kovalev blade and figured why not because I read so much about it. The stick frustrated me until I really started shooting with it and understand how to keep shots low.

I played pickup with it yesterday and it did what I wanted. a couple breakways with high glove picked with ease from real in close. couple wristers that went where I wanted from the circles. and I was even able to keep the slap ***** from the point low and hard. I think I've found a pattern I'll stick with.

Wear was perfect on the bottom of the blade and the shooting marks were all in the sweetspot.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
The Drury clones are really popular at the NHL level for a reason. They rock. I like mine with slightly less loft though. For some reason, I do really well keeping my snappers down with it, wristers are ideal, the slappers are really hard for me to keep down though unless I really think about it, ditto for backhanders.

I try to guess based on watching games and photos on NHL.com, but other than Ovie, who are other NHLers that use this curve?

BadHammy*

I try to guess based on watching games and photos on NHL.com, but other than Ovie, who are other NHLers that use this curve?

Ovechkin actually doesn't use a Drury curve, his is a wild hybrid-variant. Let me think a moment, Franzen, Toews, Langenbrunner, Lecavalier, Draper, Tkachuk, Boyle, Modano, actually, the better question is which NHLers don't use some type of Drury. Please note that I'm including Drury variants like a Lidstrom, which is more wedge like and also heel curves that are just barely open. It's extremely common at the NHL level.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Modano doesn't use a Drury, his curve is a very slight mid that's not open and has a square toe.

Heatley, Parise, Sedin, Carter, Briere, Roy, Zetterberg, Thornton, tons of defensemen, all use similar curves. Some are more or less open, some are more kinked or straighter at the heel, but it's very popular.

Really for me the only downside is that shots and passes can go high if you don't follow through properly, so you have to be mindful. I've been forcing myself to use it as much as possible to get in good habits. And I suppose toe drags aren't as good, but I'm more of a shoulder/head fake kind of guy.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Played my first league game with it. Loved it. Scored two goals and should have had a third. Passes were crisp and on the mark.

I have a Dolomite with the Kovalev curve that I'm really glad I picked up on sale. Absolute tank of a stick. I'd get another if I wasn't looking to switch to a Total One at some point.

BadHammy*

Modano doesn't use a Drury, his curve is a very slight mid that's not open and has a square toe.

Heatley, Parise, Sedin, Carter, Briere, Roy, Zetterberg, Thornton, tons of defensemen, all use similar curves. Some are more or less open, some are more kinked or straighter at the heel, but it's very popular.

Really for me the only downside is that shots and passes can go high if you don't follow through properly, so you have to be mindful. I've been forcing myself to use it as much as possible to get in good habits. And I suppose toe drags aren't as good, but I'm more of a shoulder/head fake kind of guy.

That's a good point and part of the reason I like it so much. It will force you to get into proper habits, most specifically a good, complete follow through. You have to pull/turn the bottom hand all the way over to keep the puck down and that generates more power and accuracy.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The lie and loft force you to cup the puck before shooting and roll over the wrists, which may be why I have the hardest shots (all kinds) with that curve.

I also found cutting the stick a bit shorter helped to keep the shots and passes lower. I did lose something on my shot, but as a defenseman I'm barely shooting anyways.

That said, last night I used my One95 P92 for the first time in forever and liked the flatter spot on the heel for passes and slappers. If money permits, I'd like to order one of the new Base sticks with the Hossa curve, which is flat and straight until it curves and opens up right at the toe.

In reality, I probably need more ice time and practice. But I've gone three games without a point and I'm doing everything short of switching handedness to spark it.

russellmania79

Nov 16, 2010
Does anyone know if the Drury curve or it's equivilant in other brands is offered for intermediate sticks? Based on my preliminary research, the Ovechkin curve comes in intermediate, but is it close at all to the Drury curve? Thanks?

BadHammy*

Does anyone know if the Drury curve or it's equivilant in other brands is offered for intermediate sticks? Based on my preliminary research, the Ovechkin curve comes in intermediate, but is it close at all to the Drury curve? Thanks?

Yeah, the two are similar but not quite identical.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

You can get it in a few lesser known brands like Base, Battleaxe, and Harrow. I've got a 65 flex Battleaxe BX10 in a Drury and it's easily as good as any other high end stick. I've also got a 65 flex Harrow 300 and it's a solid rig, a bit heavier but very durable and great puck feel.

Godwinaustin

May 7, 2010
Colorado
You can get it in a few lesser known brands like Base, Battleaxe, and Harrow. I've got a 65 flex Battleaxe BX10 in a Drury and it's easily as good as any other high end stick. I've also got a 65 flex Harrow 300 and it's a solid rig, a bit heavier but very durable and great puck feel.

Just went with a 10k that HG has on special for $100 - all they had left was the p36 spezza curve, which I believe is a drury clone.

Wanted the hamrlik as I have been using a zetterberg curve and I love the accuracy and have never liked big curves. Anyone switch from a zetterberg/forsberg blade to this curve and have any specific feedback???

Looks like there are some followers of this curve out there.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
What I would do is cup the puck and shoot from the heel. If you lean into the stick and quickly fire the puck at the target, you should get great power and accuracy, but if you're trying to roll the puck and fling it like a traditional wrister, you'll probably go way too high. I noticed after using the Drury for several months that I have very little power with a Forsberg and the shots all stay right on the ice.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
P5 Getzlaf (Lidstrom):

P6 Parise (Drury):

Information taken directly from the 2010 Easton Fall Catalog. The only difference is the round/square toe. .....

I have both. These specs are not complete.

Open, how open?
Heel, where in relation to the shaft...heel is pretty general
Anything else?

They are different in many ways. I wish they were the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad