Questions about Wayne Gretzky

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I've created a list of questions about the "Great One"

1. Would he be a good commissioner for the NHL?

2. If the Oilers joined the NHL before 1979, then the Whalers, Nordiques, & Jets would've had the chance to take him in the expansion draft?

3. If he had success being the head coach in Arizona, then he would've stayed?

4. If Gretzky chose another sport besides hockey, then who would replace him as the "GOAT"?

5. Will there be another player like Gretzky someday, in the NHL?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
1) Probably not
2) I guess so
3) For sure, though every head coach eventually falls out of favour
4) Considering that many people believe that Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, or Gordie Howe are superior to Gretzky, you have your answer.
5) Every eventuality is an inevitability.

Reactions: Fixxer

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
1. I don't think so.
2. Not sure, I don't remember how it worked back then
3. For some time I guess.
4. Lemieux
5. Similar in both talent and style? I'd be surprised. The game has changed too.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
1. Yes
2. Gretzky would probably be protected
3. Who knows?
4. Obviously Lemieux
5. No, goaltending has gotten better

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
He doesn't have the legal background, so no.

If the Oilers were an NHL team prior to 1979, Wayne's not playing for them. He probably would have been made entry draft eligible. Doubt he lasts to the end of the first round. Remember though, it was Mio and Driscoll that teams wanted. Winnipeg did, but didn't want Gretzky. Edmonton took him because he was part of the package Indianapolis was selling, er, trading.

He was owed money by Arizona.

Rather subjective question. We don't all regard him as the GOAT. The GOAT is my avatar, IMHO.

Define "like Greztky." Point wise? Playing style? Great mullet? Iconic?

Reactions: Dave Karp

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Most likely no.

Difficult to answer.

Most likely.

Howe or Orr. Though I guess without Gretzky, Lemieux gets a boost as being the best offensive player ever.

In terms of domination over peers? 99.9% never. The kind of dominance Gretzky displayed hasn't come close to being replicated in any sport ever.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Assuming the NHL continues to exist until the Sun turns into a supernova in a billion years, there will most certainly be many players greater than Gretzky in the future. Would be silly to think otherwise. 100 years of history is but a speck. He might not crack top 100 all-time NHLers in the year 999,999,999 ad.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Reactions: McBeastMode

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011

2. If the Oilers joined the NHL before 1979, then the Whalers, Nordiques, & Jets would've had the chance to take him in the expansion draft?
From what I remember the expansion draft was 'backwards' back then, as in the 17 NHL teams picked/raped the 4 expansion teams of their best players except for Gretzky who somehow was exempt from being plucked from Edmonton. So I think the answer to your question is no.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If the Oilers were an NHL team prior to 1979, Wayne's not playing for them. He probably would have been made entry draft eligible. Doubt he lasts to the end of the first round. Remember though, it was Mio and Driscoll that teams wanted. Winnipeg did, but didn't want Gretzky. Edmonton took him because he was part of the package Indianapolis was selling, er, trading.

In all reality the NHL should not have allowed this and let the Colorado Rockies pick him first overall in the 1979 draft

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
No offence but these questions are some strange hypotheticals.

1. I think he'd make a great ambassador, not a great commissioner. Leave that job to experienced business people. It would be bad for the NHL if fans despised the greatest player ever/commissioner.
2. Don't know how it worked and don't care. What we do know is how history played out.
3. Don't know, and doesn't matter anyway.
4. Again, doesn't matter, he chose hockey and he is the Great One. Basically you're asking who the second best player of all time is. There is no definitive answer because everyone has their own opinion, even for #1.
5. My crystal ball says that only time will tell.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
In all reality the NHL should not have allowed this and let the Colorado Rockies pick him first overall in the 1979 draft

Montreal would've drafted him first. They had a deal in place from years prior to swap 1st round picks with Colorado in either 1979 or 1980. With Gretzky circumventing the entry draft, they elected to take the 1980 swap and selected Doug Wickenheiser 1st overall.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Montreal would've drafted him first. They had a deal in place from years prior to swap 1st round picks with Colorado in either 1979 or 1980. With Gretzky circumventing the entry draft, they elected to take the 1980 swap and selected Doug Wickenheiser 1st overall.

I am not sure how legit this is but this site is really good for modern day trades noting when options to trade are. I have to believe if Montreal had the option to do this in 1979, they would have taken that option since Colorado was #1

1980 NHL Entry Draft Pick Transactions

Canadiens
Traded • Ron Andruff • Sean Shanahan • Canadiens option to swap 1980 first round picks (#19-Paul Gagne) to Rockies for • Canadiens option to swap 1980 first round picks (#1-Doug Wickenheiser) on 1976-09-13

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

4. If Gretzky chose another sport besides hockey, then who would replace him as the "GOAT"?

1. No. Great ambassador, but doesn't have the experience in the business world or legal system to be an effective commissioner.
2. Probably
3. Probably not, he was doing that partially to raise awareness of the NHL in Arizona. I don't think he particularly wanted to coach.
4. Orr is usually considered the 2nd best ever, so probably Bobby Orr.
5. Simply put, no.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I am not sure how legit this is but this site is really good for modern day trades noting when options to trade are. I have to believe if Montreal had the option to do this in 1979, they would have taken that option since Colorado was #1

1980 NHL Entry Draft Pick Transactions

Canadiens
Traded • Ron Andruff • Sean Shanahan • Canadiens option to swap 1980 first round picks (#19-Paul Gagne) to Rockies for • Canadiens option to swap 1980 first round picks (#1-Doug Wickenheiser) on 1976-09-13

I could be mistaken.

They could've passed with the intention of drafting Denis Savard. Selecting Wickenheiser over Savard was controversial at the time. At least among the fans and media.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I could be mistaken.

They could've passed with the intention of drafting Denis Savard. Selecting Wickenheiser over Savard was controversial at the time. At least among the fans and media.

On the subject of Montreal trading table scraps for high draft picks, I am surprised the league didn't step in and tell Montreal(and some other teams) to stop this. Basically praying on poor expansion teams hurt many of those expansion teams in the long run

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
On the subject of Montreal trading table scraps for high draft picks, I am surprised the league didn't step in and tell Montreal(and some other teams) to stop this. Basically praying on poor expansion teams hurt many of those expansion teams in the long run

Colorado made some comical trades. I don't think everyone truly understood the value of high draft picks at the time, due to the league existing decades without it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
In terms of domination over peers? 99.9% never. The kind of dominance Gretzky displayed hasn't come close to being replicated in any sport ever.

You sure about that.....?

78a42184c8d30a9b094cf7181110d388.jpg

Let’s not forget about Babe Ruth either... He hit more home runs than any other team twice in his career.

Despite being a Gretzky fanatic, your statement is very wrong.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
My answers are in bold:

No

Probably

No

Orr

No

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I know most feel he would be terrible, but he is both a partial owner, AND a former player. Like Mario, he would have a lot more objectivity in a lot of matters, and be impartial to both sides.

Both him and Mario remained very silent during the 05 labour dispute (Mario was even still playing), but they might have both been instrumental in getting these labor shortages sorted out sooner. Mario was PLAYING at the same time as being an owner. But he didn't want to ostracize his team-mates, or piss off the other owners.

Many felt like those 2 being more heavily involved would have stopped the labor shortage sooner.

I think Gretzky should be hired by the league in some kind of impartial capacity, but not necessarily in the commissioners role.

Gretzky never should have been exempt from the expansion draft. That was some weird underhanded shady crap that happened.

He would have stayed coaching if he was any good at it, but He's a terrible coach for too many reasons.

As with most people who perform at an incredibly high level, he suffers from something called the "Dunning Krugar Effect".

Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia

Gretzky legitimately has an inferiority complex, and honestly believes that everyone is as good (or better) than he is. This is likely one of the key motivations that pushed him to be BETTER than everyone else at hockey. On the flipside, this also makes him completely unrelatable, and a horrible communicator of ideas.

In North American corporate structures, they often promote people to their 'level of incompetence'. This is why Michael Scott's character in 'The Office' was a brilliant salesman, but a horrible regional manager. Gretzky IS the 'Michael Scott' of coaches.

Gordie would have remained the GOAT

I don't like saying 'Never', but Gretzky 'broke' they game of hockey, and made it unfair.

Need someone to come in and play the game in a way that kind of exploits something.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

1) I don't know, he's not a lawyer or whatever.

2) I don't know, I'm not a lawyer or whatever.

3) That was a long time ago already. He'd be gone by now either way.

4) Has to be Mario.

5) Probably not, but it's possible.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

1) I dont think so, he's just too nice of a guy TBH. He wouldnt rule with an iron fist and thats what you need to be successful. However Adam Silver isnt that strict and the players love him so who knows.

2) He had a 20 year personal services contract w/ Pocklington, now that wasnt binding when they moved to the NHL but I believed they were allowed to keep him as a result. I.e they wouldnt honor the whole 20 year contract but would allow them to keep him and negotiate a new deal or something like that.

3) I dont think so, he would've been worn out and as an ambassador for the game of hockey theres a lot of other things for him to do like grow the game and show face at events.

4) Orr or Howe, the 2nd and 3rd best ever.

5) Can never say never but I just dont see a player dominating like that ever again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->