Questions about skates for kids.

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
My sons year ended a couple of weeks ago and he just started a spring league. As I was getting my son ready to go out on the ice today the head guy came up to me and made a comment on my sons skates. My son has a pair of mission 120's and he said that I bought him to much skate for his age (7 years old). He told me that the boot is to stiff and his ankle's won't develope as much because the boot is so stiff. Is this correct?

The skates were $80 on sale so I wouldn't be out a lot of money, but I want to get some feed back before buying a different pair.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BumpiestBread

Mar 25, 2011
S Lake Tahoe
He told me that the boot is to stiff and his ankle's won't develope as much because the boot is so stiff. Is this correct?

I don't understand what he means by "his ankles won't develop". Boots will eventually break in and lose stiffness where there is lots of movement, and I don't think he is old enough for this to be an issue. If they are so stiff that they are really fighting against his movement and he has pain after playing, then I would worry. Otherwise, stick with the same boots until he grows out of them.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Could it be that he was just trying to help you not feel obligated to buy expensive skates in the future? He's going to grow out of the ones he's got in a year, so I wouldn't worry about changing them until then. :)

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
Beth,

Could be. However I found his old pair of skates and compared the flex in the ankles. His old pair low end ccm's I could take one hand and press the sides together. His missions I had to use 2 hands. Maybe he ment that he wouldn't have the mobility?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->