Questions about Dustin Jeffrey

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
In order to not be a guy who is constantly scratched except for injuries to any of the other four C's, Jeffrey absolutely has to make more tangible impact on games.

I really like him actually, and he has the hands to do more for us than he has lately, but when he isn't being a factor offensively, he cannot keep gliding around offering nothing but OK/solid positional hockey. Hits stats are far from the be all/end all and neither are faceoff numbers (where he hasn't excelled really), but for him to have thrown the body 4 times in 15 games.... that is just not acceptable for a bottom 6 player who ought to feel like he has a point to prove.

I really hope he adds those extra 10% that will make him a solid and versatile contributor up and down the lineup - both at C and W, but with how he is playing right now I would say that no one would notice if he was gone.
Again - except for the lack of injury cover at C, but I believe we have that in Wilkes Barre. If nothing else Sill can be Vitale, and Vitale can also play the third line C in a pinch.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Didn't he kill penalties at WBS? Witht the way our penalty kil is, why not try him there? It might help our PK. It might show his value to both and others if we have lost our use for him. Could he really be worse than Glass on the PK? Glass gets regular PK time and I swear is on the ice for a lot of those goals. He even takes PK face offs. Maybe not regularly but should he ever?

Yes, Jeffrey was the best penalty killer in the AHL (and led the league in short-hande goals) when he last played in WBS. While he isn't going to be quite that dominant of a player at the NHL level, he is more than capable of playing on the PK, as our severl other members of our current squad. This is one of the myriad of reasons why I want Jeffrey playing regularly on the 4th line over Glass, who brings nothing (except for the "potential" to fight, which never happens). Jeffrey is also VERY good on the PP, whether it's on the right half-wall or on the point.

I really hope he adds those extra 10% that will make him a solid and versatile contributor up and down the lineup - both at C and W, but with how he is playing right now I would say that no one would notice if he was gone.
Again - except for the lack of injury cover at C, but I believe we have that in Wilkes Barre. If nothing else Sill can be Vitale, and Vitale can also play the third line C in a pinch.

I love Joe, and am a member of the Cult of Vitale, but if Joe were to be our 3rd line centre (and god knows who our 4th) then I think we're in serious trouble offensively, unless we were to upgrade the wings. Also, I don't disagree that Jeffrey has to show some offensive production -- which I believe he will have to show this week, now that he is back into game-shape -- but he has been VERY good and responsible defensively. A lot of little plays that are hard to notice, but he's doing a good job in 2 of the 3 zones, and now he just has to add the offense.

I am surprised, and think it's a poor move, to not have him out there on the 2nd PP. Having Bennett--Sutter--Kennedy is not a good unit, because they're all righties and don't spread things out well. I'd like to see Jeffrey replace Kennedy on that 2nd unit up front, or at least be put on the point.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Kudos to Dustin Jeffrey on having a very strong game today. Two primary assists, including a particularly great play on the Dupuis goal to maintain possession of the puck, get around the Dmen and feather a pass to Dupers. Looked stronger and more confident out there, and looked good on the PK when Glass was in the box. (Jeffrey over Glass on the PK - nice!)

Anyway, this is a great sign, whether he stays with our club (as long as he stays in the line-up over Glass, that is), or gets traded; because this is the kind of game that will help boost his value in a trade. Good news either way, and Jeffrey off to a good start for this week which I said was a big one for him. I expect him to continue to play well and gain some confidence.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
It would be nice to give him a contsistent opportunity on the PK. He did a good job today. If he plays like that we do not need to trade, sit , or give up on hm.

Chilly

Feb 25, 2010
Vancouver
I hope the we hold on to him as long as we can, I don't really want to trade him (unless the return is amazing of course). He is great center depth, especially for a team like the pens, who have a knack for getting injuries in the center position.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It would be nice to give him a contsistent opportunity on the PK. He did a good job today. If he plays like that we do not need to trade, sit , or give up on hm.

Well, if TK got back to playing consistently (generating chances regularly, drawing penalties regularly, etc) and got back to 20 goal form, then between an improved TK, Bennett's play, and if Jeffrey could bump Glass out of the line-up, then we could improve from within. (Though I still think Shero is going to look for a more sure-thing by trade, because I don't see them qualifying TK at $2million unless he goes on a serious run for the rest of the season)

With that said, I still believe -- whether it is this season or next -- Jeffrey is going to want to "spread his wings" just like Staal did, unless he can transition to a really good LWer on the 3rd line and get 15 mins+/game. So while we don't HAVE to move him right now, I think that his future is limited here to some degree. That's why while I don't want to give him away, I would be happy to package him in a deal in a package for a really good player.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I hope the we hold on to him as long as we can, I don't really want to trade him (unless the return is amazing of course). He is great center depth, especially for a team like the pens, who have a knack for getting injuries in the center position.

Yah but the reality is most seasons he's going to get limited games, and have limited impact on this team. If he can be part of a deal that addresses one of our core weaknesses AND gives him a chance to play more, it would be dumb not to make the trade.

Hopefully his stock will rise a little after today. I suspect with Boston coming back tomorrow they're going to play him again and keep Geno out of the line of fire for one more game to make sure he's healed up etc.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
I have question too: Is he 6'1" or 6'3"?! There are two height info about him all over internet, but 6'1" seems to be the official height? I'm so confused when there is so big difference.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have question too: Is he 6'1" or 6'3"?! There are two height info about him all over internet, but 6'1" seems to be the official height? I'm so confused when there is so big difference.

Not certain, but going by the "eyeball test" he looks more like he's around 6'1 than he is 6'3. Guys who are 6'3 tend to start to stand out on the ice. Jeffrey doesn't really look any taller than guys like Niskanen, Martin, or Bennett.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Jeffrey is a solid 6'2. By that I mean, he's not "rounded up" to 6'2, the way I think that Bennett and Harrington are, as examples. I would say Bennett is a solid 6'1 (between 6'1 and 6'1.5), and Jeffrey is at least 6'2, and possibly 0.25 to 0.5" taller.

You can see in some of the scrums after a goal when they're celebrating or whatever, you can compare guys side by side. There is no way, for example, that Harrington and Maatta are both the same height. Harrington is more like 6'1 or just over (and possibly gets rounded up) and Maatta is over 6'2 but not quite 6'3. Maatta is clearly a solid inch taller than Harrington, if not a bit more. Morrow is closer to 6'0 than 6'1, whereas you can tell that guys like Despres/Dumoulin/Bortuzzo are clearly all a legit 6'4.

Dustin Jeffrey is clearly 6'2 or taller, which I think is important, especially when it comes to things like his reach, his ability to match up against other centres, etc. His size is a good asset, and something that I would appreciate if I was another team looking at acquiring him in a trade.

Meh he looked okay today, good to see improvement by these players hopefully it's not just a once in a while thing.

I'm glad you're not one of our pro scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad