Question - Why didn’t we Claim J Tinordi?

bcjr13

Oct 29, 2018
He’s a Brut, and I think this Team needs an identity. It’s obviously not Offensive Hockey, so why not get back to our roots and have some Toughness?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He’s a Brut, and I think this Team needs an identity. It’s obviously not Offensive Hockey, so why not get back to our roots and have some Toughness?

Because we have Dylan McIlrath in Grand Rapids and they're comparable in most things while Dylan is better at the hockey side of things.

It bums me out because Mark Tinordi was one of my favorite old school North Stars/Dallas Stars defensemen.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
We don’t need anymore bottom 6 (or in this case bottom 3) level players on this team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Typical defenceman, who could look good in a great team like Bruins, small 3rd pair + PK + physical role.

But would look bad in a lottery team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If the team makes a waiver claim they have to keep him on the roster, and the team already has 7 one way contracts.

It would not fit into the cap space and penny pinching scheme to have Tinordi and his $700k/$300k contract.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Because we have Dylan McIlrath in Grand Rapids and they're comparable in most things while Dylan is better at the hockey side of things.

It bums me out because Mark Tinordi was one of my favorite old school North Stars/Dallas Stars defensemen.

In my opinion McIlrath is probably the best fighter going in hockey. He has flaws in his game, he just never seems to skate well enough and the league getting faster and faster is kind of disaster for him. However, if we ever wanted toughness a guy like McIlrath could be up in a second. He plays passable more often than not when in the lineup as the #6 D and you can tell guys are afraid of him in terms of just watching when he is on the ice. Man in a different era he would have been a valuable guy, the mid-90s he has a big place in this league.

Completely agree that Tinordi is a worse version of him. Have a buddy in Milwaukee that makes jokes about what a bad skater he is and that is having to watch him at the AHL level. I know we have a bad team, but not every player actually is an upgrade even over some of the crap we are currently enduring. The grass isn't always greener, we have guys that can fight and play better, hell put Smith back in the lineup, he already deserves to be in if we want toughness.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In my opinion McIlrath is probably the best fighter going in hockey. He has flaws in his game, he just never seems to skate well enough and the league getting faster and faster is kind of disaster for him. However, if we ever wanted toughness a guy like McIlrath could be up in a second. He plays passable more often than not when in the lineup as the #6 D and you can tell guys are afraid of him in terms of just watching when he is on the ice. Man in a different era he would have been a valuable guy, the mid-90s he has a big place in this league.

Completely agree that Tinordi is a worse version of him. Have a buddy in Milwaukee that makes jokes about what a bad skater he is and that is having to watch him at the AHL level. I know we have a bad team, but not every player actually is an upgrade even over some of the crap we are currently enduring. The grass isn't always greener, we have guys that can fight and play better, hell put Smith back in the lineup, he already deserves to be in if we want toughness.
Biega is a bigger disaster, I'd rather have McIlrath as 7D.

Reactions: 14ari13

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Biega is a bigger disaster, I'd rather have McIlrath as 7D.

Biega is not a good hockey player. He never steps up into the slot, he always back-peddles into his own goalie. It is infuriating to see someone mess up that read over and over. You cannot give a guy that kind of room in this league, they are too good. Guy is a minor league player.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Biega is not a good hockey player. He never steps up into the slot, he always back-peddles into his own goalie. It is infuriating to see someone mess up that read over and over. You cannot give a guy that kind of room in this league, they are too good. Guy is a minor league player.

Ya, he's kind of in the perfect spot. Not taking up a top 6 D spot in GR, not playing in Detroit. He sits in the press box unless we have a last minute injury and needs to steps in, or he's been on the taxi squad which I guess is the same thing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ya, he's kind of in the perfect spot. Not taking up a top 6 D spot in GR, not playing in Detroit. He sits in the press box unless we have a last minute injury and needs to steps in, or he's been on the taxi squad which I guess is the same thing.

And he is also good mentoring pro for the kids off-ice.

And we did lost the future superstar David Pope for him. Think Pope was the most useless GR winger before the trade.

Nothing but perfect player for us.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I don't know enough about Tinordi... but I loved McIlrath on the team.
He was like Witkowski, but competent.
Made a good pass. Hit like a truck.

In 23 games in Detroit
0-0-0 -2, 27 PIM 67 hits 19 blocks

I'd love to finish the season with McIlrath and Smith in the lineup

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And he is also good mentoring pro for the kids off-ice.

And we did lost the future superstar David Pope for him. Think Pope was the most useless GR winger before the trade.

Nothing but perfect player for us.
Once again, I'd rather have McIlrath.

Also, I didn't say it was a bad trade. Biega actually cleared waivers before the trade, so it was one AHLer for another.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I'd really like someone who punches someone else in the face. Like that clown on Carolina that kicked Fabbri's leg out from under him, or someone to knock out a few of Gudas' teeth when he boards our players bloody. I'd take a Witkowski over a Filppula any day.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'd really like someone who punches someone else in the face. Like that clown on Carolina that kicked Fabbri's leg out from under him, or someone to knock out a few of Gudas' teeth when he boards our players bloody. I'd take a Witkowski over a Filppula any day.
I agree w/Witter (caliber) over Flip. That Seider beating up SHL video had me laughing hysterically. He's gonna be a force. Intimidation factor w/o the fisticuffs is the best kind. Aside from not wanting to get hurt, players won't wanna get embarrassed by Seider. That alone will win some extra board battles/matchups. Is Quinn Hughes really gonna wanna dump the puck in our Dzone on Seider's side & skate after it? Not likely, as he knows that's a losing proposition the majority % of the time.

EDIT:
Let the crease-boards-NZ-trench warfare begin. Kommandant Seider, Special Forces, PsyOps Division reporting for duty.
Wings DJ can start playing: "No one comes into our house & pushes us around" again. This time it'll mean something again.

("& I mean no one")
upload_2021-3-6_19-28-41.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MabusIncarnate

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
welcome to the 21st century

best of luck recovering from your long term coma

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Because he's not a good hockey player. Just because he's got a last name that is familiar to you doesn't make him worthy of a roster spot.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I agree w/Witter (caliber) over Flip. That Seider beating up SHL video had me laughing hysterically. He's gonna be a force. Intimidation factor w/o the fisticuffs is the best kind. Aside from not wanting to get hurt, players won't wanna get embarrassed by Seider. That alone will win some extra board battles/matchups. Is Quinn Hughes really gonna wanna dump the puck in our Dzone on Seider's side & skate after it? Not likely, as he knows that's a losing proposition the majority % of the time.

EDIT:
Let the crease-boards-NZ-trench warfare begin. Kommandant Seider, Special Forces, PsyOps Division reporting for duty.
Wings DJ can start playing: "No one comes into our house & pushes us around" again. This time it'll mean something again.

("& I mean no one")
View attachment 404153

Seider gonna kick Hughes's leg out of his leg.

But still, it wouldn't be Witter over Flip. Witter is a defenseman, not a forward. I mean, I guess I get wanting strong punchy man on the roster. That's always been something we've had in Detroit (Grimson, McCarty, Downey, Kocur, Uncle Todd etc.)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Theres a few guys who on any given night could get the better of McIlrath but only a few. I also thought he was fairly solid when he was in Detroit, it had me wondering why Witkowski whose a worse fighter and player was in the line up over him to be honest.

I would take him over Biega in Detroit without a doubt and wouldnt consider claiming Tinnordi and plauing him over McIlrath

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Honestly I think McIlrath plays a more important role for the organization as a leader in GR than a 7D in Detroit. He’s a big part of the continued culture that’s been built down in GR over the past decade plus.

I’m not sure if others would agree but the AHL might be a more physical league than the NHL. It’s kind of like the NHL of the past, tho obviously not as skilled. The lack of structure and skill leads to a lot of hits and scrums. Plus there’s actually goons down there too like Liambis who the Griffins have seen a lot of.

I’d rather have McIlrath down there protecting our young guys than up in Detroit protecting a bunch of vets who won’t be here in a year. Tho I do wish Smith was up in Detroit because I thought he served that role well for the Wings.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
NA structure is to play a fast through the middle of the ice game. It is to be in tight quarters battle hockey with the highest pace possible. I keep reading posts about lack of structure, there is plenty of structure. Berggren for instance isn't going to skate for laps around the offensive zone, it isn't an option here very often. That Veleno looks so much more dynamic north south this year is because he is playing a NA game in Sweden.

I know it is a fun arm-chair thing to say, but the Griffins and Wings have a structure. Whether or not the are consistently warping/bending the game to their style is an entirely different thing. Yes the AHL is probably actually the toughest league physically at this point. It is also probably the second fastest league outside of the NHL. It is one of the reasons they love it as a developmental league, most of the league principals are already in place including the play style.

The reason we want a bunch of these guys to come over is precisely an admission that we play a slightly different version of hockey here. Yes some of it includes that dreaded dump and chase. That is done though to increase the pace of the game and actually simplify the ability to control the middle of the ice and pace of the game. This idea that any of these teams are taking the ice without a plan or system is pure fantasy at times, honestly I don't know how it could possibly check out as a notion even in blind hatred coaching posts. Yes the highest level of hockey is just punting on a structure plan... :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad