Question to the American members here: Is the World Cup being marketed on ESPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

I took a look at espn.com and noticed that they have a box on their opening page linking to their World Cup of Hockey page. I thought this was cool (normally something like this would be buried on only their NHL page, not their opening page).

So this led me to wonder this: Is the World Cup of Hockey being at all promoted on ESPN and ESPN2 TV since they are carrying the games? (see ESPN schedule here) (or anywhere else for that matter?)

Just curious.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Gurj said:
I took a look at espn.com and noticed that they have a box on their opening page linking to their World Cup of Hockey page. I thought this was cool (normally something like this would be buried on only their NHL page, not their opening page).

So this led me to wonder this: Is the World Cup of Hockey being at all promoted on ESPN and ESPN2 TV since they are carrying the games? (see ESPN schedule here) (or anywhere else for that matter?)

Just curious.

Good question Gurj, I can not say that I have seen any advertising on ESPN or ESPN2 for the World Cup of Hockey. In all honesty I have not been watching those channels much because the Olympics are on NBC. :blush:

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
I haven't seen one commercial. I guess they're too busy promoting the Texas State Cheerleading Quarterfinals and the International Go Fish Tourney.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
bling said:
Good question Gurj, I can not say that I have seen any advertising on ESPN or ESPN2 for the World Cup of Hockey. In all honesty I have not been watching those channels much because the Olympics are on NBC. :blush:
Same here, but it's far enough away still that they wouldn't be advertising it anyway.

mcfara

Jul 26, 2004
i haven't seen anything at all, it's rediculus, you would think they would wanna hype it up a bit since they'll profit from it...here in the US no one even knows it is happening next week

adam

Last edited by a moderator:

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
I havent seen any advertising from ESPN...thank god I live close enough to canada that I get CBC, because obviously they are all over the world cup and if im not mistaken I heard them say they will be broadcasting all the games? Is this true?

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Have not seen one thing on ESPN/ESPN2 about the WC. They are just waiting for college and pro football to start(and personally, so am I). Even though they are covering the WC, they know what America really cares about in the sports world. And that is the NCAA and the NFL.

Jazz

SkateLikeTheWind said:
I havent seen any advertising from ESPN...thank god I live close enough to canada that I get CBC, because obviously they are all over the world cup and if im not mistaken I heard them say they will be broadcasting all the games? Is this true?

CBC will have all 19 games...ESPN and ESPN2 will combine for 16 of the 19 games....

You can see the schedule for both here

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The only thing they've done with the World Cup was announce Team USA's roster on SportsCenter and then Dan Patrick interviewed Chris Chelios for like 2 minutes. No ads or promos about the tournament itself yet. We know about it, so that's all that matters. This'll go under the radar like any other thing related to hockey. The only hockey news ESPN has shown in weeks was the Roenick/gambling story.

X0ssbar

ESPN sucks!.....oh wait, what was the question? I didn't get past the worst four letters in sports.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
Top Shelf said:
ESPN sucks!.....oh wait, what was the question? I didn't get past the worst four letters in sports.

LOL, agreed. They have not done any promotion for World Cup, and in fact, pre-empting it on the 4th and 5th in favor of NFL opening weekend.

TV Guide has a quick blurb on the US-Canada game for the 31st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->