Question to Flyers Fans

PricePkPatch*

I do not follow your team very closey, yet the transformation you have been through in the past 2 years has been quite amazing. I was wondering if any of you feel the Flyers don't represent the style of play they used to stand for?

I mean, Giroux is an amazing player; one of my (if not my very) favourite hockey player. He gives personality to the team and is an amazing all around. Yet, do you think his presence as your capitain might mean you won't ever be the Broad Street Bullies?

Do you feel your team has changed, and if so, how do you feel about it?

PricePkPatch*

I'm satisfied.

I am not saying Giroux don't get physical at times (recent playoffs sure showed he doesn't shy away), but.. compared to your previous captains; Pronger and Richards, he sure is a step in a different direction.

Do you feel the Flyers have changed, team personality-wise?

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
We changed almost 2 decades ago..

The whole 'dirty team' thing hasn't been shaked away though even though it's a pretty clean team.

Winning the way the flyers did in the 70s isn't going to get a team very far in this day and age. You need fast skilled forward and grit. That's what this team has.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I am not saying Giroux don't get physical at times (recent playoffs sure showed he doesn't shy away), but.. compared to your previous captains; Pronger and Richards, he sure is a step in a different direction.

Do you feel the Flyers have changed, team personality-wise?

The game has evolved past the Bullies. Its more about skill. BUT the flyers still possess that edge and grit. Giroux has shown from day 1 he will do what it takes to win, and that alone is all we ask for. Maybe the older nostalgic fans hate it, but its 2013, not 1975. I want a cup, dont care how we get it, or who leads us to it. giroux is a flashy skill player, but unlike most of those players, he hits, fights, and leads.

PricePkPatch*

The game has evolved past the Bullies. Its more about skill. BUT the flyers still possess that edge and grit. Giroux has shown from day 1 he will do what it takes to win, and that alone is all we ask for. Maybe the older nostalgic fans hate it, but its 2013, not 1975. I want a cup, dont care how we get it, or who leads us to it. giroux is a flashy skill player, but unlike most of those players, he hits, fights, and leads.

I hear you brother. Giroux has everything a hockey player should aspire to be. I mean, I think Crosby might have better skill, but Giroux has a je-ne-sais-quoi that makes him the best player/leader.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
I hear you brother. Giroux has everything a hockey player should aspire to be. I mean, I think Crosby might have better skill, but Giroux has a je-ne-sais-quoi that makes him the best player/leader.

I think the word you are looking for is flow

CLaudeGiroux_display_image.jpeg

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Flow :
Long, curly or wavey hair. Mostly a hockey term. Hair that would flow out the back of someone's helmet and curl up around the back of the helmet. Someone can have a flow or be flowin

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Flow :
Long, curly or wavey hair. Mostly a hockey term. Hair that would flow out the back of someone's helmet and curl up around the back of the helmet. Someone can have a flow or be flowin

I see why you're the poster of the year!!!! such an awesome post :handclap:

PricePkPatch*

Flow :

I can see why flow would certainly make one a better hockey player (Guy Lafleur certainly proved it in the 70s), I was thinking of something else :laugh:

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
As long as Ed Snider owns the team and as long as the people that make decisions for the team are from the Flyers (Terry Murray, Holmgren, Berube, et al.) the Flyers will emphasize some element of physicality. The Flyers have always played this style, and the fans expect it. However, if the team wins, I think the fans will tolerate any style.

But most Flyer fans believe that a chump player who plays dirty hockey deserves to get beat. What happened last year in Buffalo when Ryan Miller was hit and there was no response from his team would NEVER happen to a Flyers team. And if it did, there would be a loud outcry from the fans.

Also, Flyer fans expect players to play 100% all the time. Sami Kapanen who is NOT a physical player will always be loved in Philly because he always worked hard - his struggling to get to the bench after that hit by Darcy Tucker shows Flyer fans his determination and resilience. That's what we expect from a player, and if they do that, they will be loved in Philly forever.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I do not follow your team very closey, yet the transformation you have been through in the past 2 years has been quite amazing. I was wondering if any of you feel the Flyers don't represent the style of play they used to stand for?

I mean, Giroux is an amazing player; one of my (if not my very) favourite hockey player. He gives personality to the team and is an amazing all around. Yet, do you think his presence as your capitain might mean you won't ever be the Broad Street Bullies?Do you feel your team has changed, and if so, how do you feel about it?

Their will never be a BSB team like the one from the 70's. However when the chairman had enough of us getting our ass kicked by the likes of St. Louis etc. They lucked out in 2nd round and picked up Bobby Clarke and the rest you say is history. However when you think of a "Flyer" I see a honest hard working player who comes to the aid of his teamates. A two way player who goes hard to the net. a player who leads by example and is fearless on the forecheck. Players like the Schenns, Harts, Simmer and most important Giroux keep than tradition intact. I see alot of 16 in 28 and that is all I have to say about that.

RJ8812*

the Flyers haven't been the "Broad Street Bullies" for at least 20 years. probably more

PricePkPatch*

the Flyers haven't been the "Broad Street Bullies" for at least 20 years. probably more

I know that. But you still had a certain.. personality, quite distinct from many other NHL teams.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

I mean, Giroux is an amazing player; one of my (if not my very) favourite hockey player. He gives personality to the team and is an amazing all around. Yet, do you think his presence as your capitain might mean you won't ever be the Broad Street Bullies?

The second best captain in the team's history is almost universally accepted as Dave Poulin. His talent and skills, though not spectacular, were surpassed by his leadership abilities and dedication, attributes that would be lauded as phenomenal for athletes on any level in any sport. Poulin and the teams under Mike Keenan of the 1980's were hardly emblematic of what transpired in the 1970's yet his grace and character were matched with appreciation by any of us who remember the 70s and experienced the 80s.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

There will never be a Broad Street Bullies ever again. Especially if the Flyers have intentions on winning a Stanley Cup

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
We changed almost 2 decades ago..

The whole 'dirty team' thing hasn't been shaked away though even though it's a pretty clean team.

Winning the way the flyers did in the 70s isn't going to get a team very far in this day and age. You need fast skilled forward and grit. That's what this team has.

Disappointed this response was just glazed over by the OP, because it answers the question perfectly.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Yeah, obviously the Bullies are long gone, but even on a more general scale the Flyers aren't a team that wins by being bigger and stronger. They haven't been like that since maybe 2005-06. I don't really miss that style and it's not how the game is anymore anyway.

There is a certain amount of grittiness we expect no matter what though, and I think that's still there. I don't think we'll ever end up (at least not in the foreseeable future) like the Sabres and go into every season needing to get tougher and bigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad