Question regarding a Ref's call

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomWaits

Feb 27, 2002
I was playing net in my Friday night beer league, here is the situation:

My defensemen blocked a shot that knocked the stick out of his hand. The stick did not break but it went into the corner. The play continued and our forward handed him his stick. So at this point with have one forward without a stick and a stick laying on the ice.

As the play continued in our zone the forward was able to pick the orginal stick off the ice and started to play with it. The ref called us for illegal us of equipment. Was this the right call?

I know if a player plays with a broken stick it is a two minute minor or if our player had picked up the oppositions stick and used it that is a two minute minor. Does anyone know the rules?

thanks in advance

PS - we won the game 1-0!!

TomWaits

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
ya, one time i broke my stick so i droped it and then i grabed the stick off the guy next to me. it would of worked but he was a lefty and i shoot right and i was holding the stick wrong when he complained to the ref. plus he had his name on it too! so when i pleaded my case i lost. of corse all my teammates were rolling on the bench, shame the coach didn't think it was funny! next day it was wind sprint city.

BCCHL inactive

Here is an example from the Hockey Canada casebook...

"SITUATION 6
Rules 51(a)(b)
No. 6 of Team "A" has lost or dropped her stick. No. 10 of Team "A" hands her stick to No. 6. After a period of time, with play still in progress, No. 6 hands the stick back to No. 10 who has still not received another stick. This is perfectly legal. Following this second exchange of sticks, No. 6 picks up her stick which is lying on the ice.
RULING: No penalty to No. 6.
REASON: The only player who can pick up the stick on the ice and use it to participate in the play is the original player who dropped it, regardless if she has played with another stick in the meantime."

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Can anybody explain the rationale for that rule? I can't see why you'd want to prevent that, as long as it's not someone from the opposing team taking the stick.

BCCHL inactive

Lard_Lad said:
Can anybody explain the rationale for that rule? I can't see why you'd want to prevent that, as long as it's not someone from the opposing team taking the stick.

This is how I see it anyway...

You have given your stick away to teammate, putting yourself at a disadvantage. If you pick up a stick that is not yours, you are re-gaining the advantage that you willingly gave away.

A related rule...gonna have some fun here...

Can anybody tell me the penalties assessed when a player from the bench throws his stick to a teammate, and that teammate catches it?

Without looking at a rulebook. ;)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Van said:
Can anybody tell me the penalties assessed when a player from the bench throws his stick to a teammate, and that teammate catches it?

if he was over the blue line before he caught it....offsides :lol
bench minor misconduct?

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Van said:
A related rule...gonna have some fun here...

Bench minor.

You're talking the exact scenerio that happened to Team Canada in the World Juniors this year, no?

BCCHL inactive

Aaron Vickers said:
Bench minor.

You're talking the exact scenerio that happened to Team Canada in the World Juniors this year, no?

Yes, except that was called under the IIHF rulebook, of which I am less familiar with.

Under the Hockey Canada rulebook...

Player throwing the stick: Bench Minor + Game Misconduct (if he can be identified...if not, it's just a Bench Minor).
Player recieveing the stick: 2 minutes for "Illegally recieving a stick".

This situation puts you 2 men short for a full 2:00.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Van said:
Yes, except that was called under the IIHF rulebook, of which I am less familiar with.

Player throwing the stick: Bench Minor + Game Misconduct (if he can be identified...if not, it's just a Bench Minor).

What if it's a trainer throwing the stick?

BCCHL inactive

Aaron Vickers said:
What if it's a trainer throwing the stick?

Same thing....just have a player sit the trainer's bench minor, and the trainer must leave the bench. That is unless the casebook has something that says different. It's late, and I'm not digging my book out of my bag tonight. ;)

If a trainer is ejected from a game, he can stand by the gate and come onto the ice to tend to an injured player when the referee gives him permission to come onto the ice.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Van said:

USA Rulebook are very different on this.

Player on the bench throwing the stick to another player on the ice shall recieve a minor penalty, player recieving stick shall not be penalized. Only a minor to the guy who threw it..no misconduct or game misconduct.

Rule 605: Broken Stick (b)
The Team, a member of which throws a replacment stick in the playing area, must be penalized under Rule 601(c.2) or (h.3), Throwing Articles into the Playing Area. A player receiving a stick so thrown shall not be penalized.
(Note) The intent of this rule is to provide for the assessment of one penalty for any one illegal stick replacement.

hockey_in_hel*

Apr 5, 2004
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, now we know the penalizations for smeone on the bench throwing a stick to a player on the ice, according to the Canada rulebook, and the USA rulebook. But, what are the penalizations in the NHL rulebook????

-Tyler

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
hockey_in_hel* said:
Well, now we know the penalizations for smeone on the bench throwing a stick to a player on the ice, according to the Canada rulebook, and the USA rulebook. But, what are the penalizations in the NHL rulebook????

-Tyler

Im pretty sure its the same as the USA Rule.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah, it's the same.

NHL rule:

Rule 45 Broken Stick

NEW*
(c) A player who has lost or broken his stick may only receive a stick at his own players' bench or be handed one from a teammate on the ice. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this Rule.

(NOTE) A player tendered a stick thrown on the ice from the players' or penalty bench will not receive a penalty. However, the person responsible for throwing the stick will receive the penalty, as covered in Rule 41(k) - Abuse of Officials and Other Misconduct and Rule 67(g)(h)(i) - Interference.

From the mentioned rule 41:
41(k) A bench minor penalty shall be imposed against the offending Team if any player, Trainer, Coach, Manager or club executive in the vicinity of the players' bench or penalty bench throws anything on the ice during the progress of the game or during stoppage of play.

(NOTE) The penalty provided under this Rule is in addition to any penalty imposed under Rule 45(c) - Broken Stick.

BCCHL inactive

I think Hockey Canada should change their rule on that. Honestly, a player coming to the bench for a stick is only thinking about a stick. He won't be thinking, "oh s***, he threw the stick, better not catch it".

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Van said:
I think Hockey Canada should change their rule on that. Honestly, a player coming to the bench for a stick is only thinking about a stick. He won't be thinking, "oh s***, he threw the stick, better not catch it".
really though, whats the guy throwing it thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->