Question re pre-draft era

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone know who the last player was to play in the league from the sponsorship era ? Just personal curiosity, the last that I could find were Brad Park and Jerry Korab, active in 84-85.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think you are getting draft and territorial rights confused.

I think in some cases(montreal) that territorial rights lasted until the early 70's

Park was drafted in 66

I believe Montreal had territorial rights till 71?

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
I think you are getting draft and territorial rights confused.

I think in some cases(montreal) that territorial rights lasted until the early 70's

Park was drafted in 66

I believe Montreal had territorial rights till 71?

I wish that were true, Gilbert Perrault would have been an excellent Hab as would have been Bernie Parent.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I wish that were true, Gilbert Perrault would have been an excellent Hab as would have been Bernie Parent.

I saw Perreault play junior when I was 14, I knew nothing of a universal draft, I hadn't given much thought to how the new teams would dget their players, I assumed the Junior Habs would go on to the NHL edition.

I mentionned Brad Park because I believed he was a product of the Marlies system therefore a Leaf in waiting. He was dealt to the Rangers in the Batgate trade but he was Leafs property in the old system, whichever term is used.

GNick42

Does anyone know who the last player was to play in the league from the sponsorship era ? Just personal curiosity, the last that I could find were Brad Park and Jerry Korab, active in 84-85.

I had this on trivia question one time...I think the last Hab was Tony Espo, he stopped playing 1984.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Brad Park Was Drafted

I saw Perreault play junior when I was 14, I knew nothing of a universal draft, I hadn't given much thought to how the new teams would dget their players, I assumed the Junior Habs would go on to the NHL edition.

I mentionned Brad Park because I believed he was a product of the Marlies system therefore a Leaf in waiting. He was dealt to the Rangers in the Batgate trade but he was Leafs property in the old system, whichever term is used.

The Rangers drafted Brad Park in 1966:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/draft/NHL_1966_amateur.html

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I think it might have been Randy Manery. He didn't arrive in the NHL as a regular until the 1972 expansion.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site

I'm sorry, I thought Park was in the Bathgate trade, it was Rod Seiling. He was a highly touted junior,I believe.

The draft before 68,69,70 as it evolved to what it is today, confuses me. The players drafted, the Park,s the Phil Myre's, are they kids that weren't signed into a team's development system, either late bloomers or guys who just chose not to ?

As I've said, frowing up in the 60's , you just assumed that your team was stocked by the junior team they had affiliations with, why would you know more than that at 13 ?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Misconceptions

I'm sorry, I thought Park was in the Bathgate trade, it was Rod Seiling. He was a highly touted junior,I believe.

The draft before 68,69,70 as it evolved to what it is today, confuses me. The players drafted, the Park,s the Phil Myre's, are they kids that weren't signed into a team's development system, either late bloomers or guys who just chose not to ?

As I've said, frowing up in the 60's , you just assumed that your team was stocked by the junior team they had affiliations with, why would you know more than that at 13 ?

There are misconceptions about the era you refer to and the pre-draft era in general.

The NHL teams were limited in the number of players they could sign as were the sponsored junior teams. Also there was no territorial protection.Plus junior teams could get exemptions to play certain players who were not affiliated, signed or drafted at the various draft levels.

Brad Park and Phil Myre were drafted because they had not signed the various forms linking them to an NHL or sponsored junior teams.

Bernie Parent, Rod Gilbert and others from Montreal did not sign with Montreal because they had been coached and/or scouted as youngsters by former NHL players with links to other teams. The Bruins (Shawinigan,Victoriaville), Rangers (Drummondville, Trois Rivieres) at various times had links with specific junior team in the pre QMJHL days, while the Leafs had strong connections in the Abitibi(Dave Keon), the Wings had connections in the Sherbrooke area while the Hawks and Rangers had success with players from the Lac St. Jean area.

The Montreal Junior Canadiens were allowed to play Paulin Bordeleau for one season but then lost him to the Marlies. Other accomodations were made in certain situations.

Junior players had greater movement - Dave Schultz played part of a season with Sorel.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
There are misconceptions about the era you refer to and the pre-draft era in general.

The NHL teams were limited in the number of players they could sign as were the sponsored junior teams. Also there was no territorial protection.Plus junior teams could get exemptions to play certain players who were not affiliated, signed or drafted at the various draft levels.

Brad Park and Phil Myre were drafted because they had not signed the various forms linking them to an NHL or sponsored junior teams.

Bernie Parent, Rod Gilbert and others from Montreal did not sign with Montreal because they had been coached and/or scouted as youngsters by former NHL players with links to other teams. The Bruins (Shawinigan,Victoriaville), Rangers (Drummondville, Trois Rivieres) at various times had links with specific junior team in the pre QMJHL days, while the Leafs had strong connections in the Abitibi(Dave Keon), the Wings had connections in the Sherbrooke area while the Hawks and Rangers had success with players from the Lac St. Jean area.

The Montreal Junior Canadiens were allowed to play Paulin Bordeleau for one season but then lost him to the Marlies. Other accomodations were made in certain situations.

Junior players had greater movement - Dave Schultz played part of a season with Sorel.

That's where I was confused. Seems a bit odd in Park's case, 6 teams could've locked him up, but I don't know if he just wanted to keep his options open or he was a late bloomer.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Brad Park

That's where I was confused. Seems a bit odd in Park's case, 6 teams could've locked him up, but I don't know if he just wanted to keep his options open or he was a late bloomer.

Brad Park was a late bloomer especially physically. Look at his OHA stats - first season 0G and 14A, prior to being drafted Nothing indicated that he had great potential.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/parkbr01.html

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
How about Chico Resch who played until 1987? I believe he was part of Montreal's old farm system.

I know that the Canadiens didn't draft Chico.

If I recall correctly he went to University for four years which leads me to believe that he signed with the team as a free agent at the start of the seventies.

Sometime tonight I'll dig through my old Habs media guides to see how they acquired him but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't with a C-Form.

*Update*

After playing for three years at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, Chico was invited to the Habs 1971-72 training camp and then was sent down to the IHL with the Muskegon Mohawks.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Chico Resch

I know that the Canadiens didn't draft Chico.

If I recall correctly he went to University for four years which leads me to believe that he signed with the team as a free agent at the start of the seventies.

Sometime tonight I'll dig through my old Habs media guides to see how they acquired him but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't with a C-Form.

*Update*

After playing for three years at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, Chico was invited to the Habs 1971-72 training camp and then was sent down to the IHL with the Muskegon Mohawks.

Chico Resch played junior - 5 games for the Regina Pats in the SJHL, a team that was sponsored by the Montreal Canadiens. The Pats produced a variety of Montreal Canadiens players like Bill Hicke, Red Berenson, Terry Harper to name a few.

At that time the NCAA option was still open to junior hockey players. Depending on the type of form Chico Resch signed with Regina the Canadiens would have retained his rights through his university career which would explain why he would have been invited to camp as opposed to having to go thru the draft or being signed as a free agent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad