Question Re: Early Retirements

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Jeffler, Feb 5, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Jeffler

Jeffler See You At Game 3

Home Page:
    Having a debate with my dad right now regarding DiPietro's contract. Say he retires now - how much of the remaining money would he actually get? I'm thinking the entire thing, he's saying it's closer to 30%. Its probably somewhere in the middle though...any insight on this?

2. danishh

danishh Registered User

depends on how he retires.

If he just retires, he gets none.
    If he retires due to an injury sustained while playing for the isles, i'm sure he gets something, not sure on the amount.
    If he doesnt retires and is just put on LTIR every year (think rathje), he gets all the money, but insurance should pay for it or a portion of it (depending on how dipietro's contract is insured. IIRC, only 7 years of it or something like that were insured).

3. mouser

mouser Business of Hockey

If DP retires due to injury sustained in the course of his employment* as a hockey player he receives 100% of his remaining contract as scheduled.

If he retires for any other reason he gets 0% of the remaining amount.

*This includes not only injury in an actual game, but also injuries sustained in his employment by the team. For example injuries during a team training session, or even a car accident driving to practice.