Question Re: Draft 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

st_roland

We've still got over 6 months until draft day 2004, I know its looking pretty weak right now compared to 2003. Is there much chance that the crop will look better by the time draft day rolls around? Also, I think most of us agree 2003 was the best we've had in a long time, but how does 2004 compare to other drafts? Its better than '96, right?

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
st_roland said:
We've still got over 6 months until draft day 2004, I know its looking pretty weak right now compared to 2003. Is there much chance that the crop will look better by the time draft day rolls around? Also, I think most of us agree 2003 was the best we've had in a long time, but how does 2004 compare to other drafts? Its better than '96, right?

This draft looks weaker than last years but 96 will likely still hold the title of weakest draft in recent memory.

It reminds me of the 94 draft in terms of depth and quality.

Berard and Redden where considered far and away the best players. This year it's just Ovechkin with no one else really in the running for first pick.

Both Stafford and Pineault probably won't opt in so that they can keep their college eligibility so knock them off any list your making.

Three goalies will likely go in the first but I don't think any will crack the top ten like 94 (Dubnyk, Peters St.Mikes, Shantz Miss).

These guy's will likely go 2-10 but I don't think any of them are perenial All-Star calibre (no particular order).

Cam Barker
Kyle Chipchura
Evgeni Malkin
Evan McGrath
Rotislav Olez
Wes O'neil
Robbie Shremp
Lauri Tukonen
Wojtek Wolski

That's just my guess at the moment I'm not pretending to have any inside info.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
West said:
Both Stafford and Pineault probably won't opt in so that they can keep their college eligibility so knock them off any list your making.

If I had to pick one of the opt-ins to go it would be Pineault. He isn't off to a great start at BC and could pull a Kobasew and enter the draft and then play in the Q next year.

It should also be noted that almost all of the top ranked college kids have to opt in. Including O'Neill who you had on your list. Those 3 along with Thelen, Hensick and Sigalet I believe would all have to opt in. Correct me if I am wrong, but Thelen,O'Neill, and Sigalet are 86's, and Hensick is a later 85 than Stafford.

You have to figure one or two of them may jump ship, but the college crop is going to be real thin this year when 8 or so of the top players have to opt out to stay in school.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
TMHUNH said:
If I had to pick one of the opt-ins to go it would be Pineault. He isn't off to a great start at BC and could pull a Kobasew and enter the draft and then play in the Q next year.

It should also be noted that almost all of the top ranked college kids have to opt in. Including O'Neill who you had on your list. Those 3 along with Thelen, Hensick and Sigalet I believe would all have to opt in. Correct me if I am wrong, but Thelen,O'Neill, and Sigalet are 86's, and Hensick is a later 85 than Stafford.

You have to figure one or two of them may jump ship, but the college crop is going to be real thin this year when 8 or so of the top players have to opt out to stay in school.

I wasn't sure about O'neill. I'd bet that he won't opt in either. I'd replace him with Andrew Ladd to make the top ten right now.

You don't really see to many college kids giving up their eligibility so I wouldn't count on anyone opting in but my pick would probably be Stafford if someone did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->