question on stopping.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
hey guys,

i've been playing ice hockey for about a year now ( i'm 20, played roller since i was 8) and i've made the transition to ice quite well, i can do crossovers, skate backwards/forwards quite fast etc., and i can stop.

but the thing is i only stop with my outer foot, i can't seem to stop with both feet, and when i try i just fall. it just feels incorrect.

is the outer edge of the inner foot supposed to be dug in or vice versa? thanks.

-james

brother52

Sep 15, 2006
Russia
This is a common problem for beginners that lack outside edge control. If you can, find a skating instructor to show you some excercies on braking with your outside edge. Trying to learn it by doing two-feet stops works to some degree, but is neither the most quick nor the most proper route. Learning stopping on your "inner" foot only first works best, but you need an instructor to show you how, and the excercises.

Nov 28, 2006
If you have the balance, try doing some stops with just the outside foot and raising your inside foot off the ice. Don't try this at full speed, at least not at first (but, if you go too slow, it's basically impossible). This may help your body to find a comfort zone and enable you to balance, despite leaning away from where your foot is. If you can get the hang of this, or at least sort of get the hang of it, try adding that inside foot near the outside foot to add some extra balance, and some extra stopping power.

Your outside foot will do most of the work, even when you have mastered stopping, so its a good thing that you can do it now anyway.

mooseOAK*

And get your rear end lower when you go into a stop also, that lowers your center of gravity and helps the balance.

ward30*

I used to not be ablr to stop with my left foot. Nut eventually I had to stop on a dime and just did it. Best advice is to practice
:yo:

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
Stopping on the outside edge of your inner foot is key to changing directions quickly.

The most efficient way to change directions (by stopping and not turning) is to stop with both skates (outside edge, inner foot and inside edge, outter foot), but finishing on just your inner foot, while your outside foot starts the cross-over to go the other way. It's awesome when you get it down.

Stopping on your inner foot (outside edge) also requires less effort, in my opinion, once you get it down, and you're less likely to "catch an edge" (if you do, you just end up putting your other foot down, whereas if you do that with your outside foot, you're going down regardless of your skill level. :) ).

Repetition is key, just do it. You WILL fall. Just accept it and work on it. You'll have it in no time.

Also, try holding the boards by the benches in an open skate and get the "sliding" feeling by simply sliding your skate, emulating a stop. Once you're comfortable with that feeling, the rest is a breeze. It's really 80% mental, 20% physical.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
teach your muscles by sliding on a slick floor(lino., tile, hardwood) in your socks.
literally run and stop.practise all difft. ways. ( front foot, back foot, both feet, both directions)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad