Question on Replacement players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I have a question on how players who are currently property of the repsective teams are viewed legally by the NLRB. Would players who were drafted and even under contract with the US based NHL team but playing in other leagues like the AHL or ECHL qualify as emplyees crossing the Picket line or replacement players and as such be ineligable unless they are US citizens.

This is where it gets hazy.

Do they have to have an existing contract or can tehy just be drafted under the previous CBA?

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Chayos1 said:
I have a question on how players who are currently property of the repsective teams are viewed legally by the NLRB. Would players who were drafted and even under contract with the US based NHL team but playing in other leagues like the AHL or ECHL qualify as emplyees crossing the Picket line or replacement players and as such be ineligable unless they are US citizens.

This is where it gets hazy.

Do they have to have an existing contract or can tehy just be drafted under the previous CBA?
It's a very interesting question since the NHLPA represents the players when they're in the NHL and the PHPA represents them when they're in the AHL or ECHL. I don't think a player in the A would be considered a replacement player because the strike would be against the NHL. But it is, as you say, "hazy."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad