Question on FA (Group VI) (ex. : Thinel, Vydareny)

JeffForsberg21

Jul 11, 2004
Quebec
Marc-Andre Thinel and Rene Vydareny both qualified for FA Group II last year. Technically, both had played 3 professional years under SPC and are 25 or older. So both have requirements for Group VI Free Agency.

Why, the NHL didn't include them in the Official Free Agent List and why the hockey news have them in the Montreal Roster page.

Just curious about that fact, and wanted to know if the Habs still have their NHL Rights.

Also, anyone know if it's possible to have an official list of all players that belong to an NHL Club (the reserve roster) because it seem that it doesn't exist a reliable information source exist. NHL.com seem to have errors (ex. Martensson in the Ducks list) should be FA VI too.

Thanks

JeffForsberg21

Jul 11, 2004
Quebec
I have also made a research for Tomas Divisek and Vaclav Pletka of the Philadelphia Flyers and I really don't understand why they were still Flyers property (I know that Pletka is now a hawks)

For example Divisek is 27 and had played three seasons in NA (so under an SPC).

Pletka came FA (Group II) in 2003 and had been three years under an SPC and is 27

So why, if both meets requirement of Group VI definition, they're still have NHL Rights

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Someone else will be able to explain this better than I can, but if a player was Group II and the team extended a QO and then the player does not sign and plays overseas, the team retains the players rights. A team is not required to extend another QO to retain the player's rights as long as they are on the protected list the team submits, etc. Both Thinel and Vydareny headed to Europe last season so I believe they stay as Group II players and cannot qualify for Group VI UFA. I believe Divisek was qualified back in the off-season before 02 and has been classified this way since that time; for Pletka since 03.

For example, the Caps have Stana and Boumedienne in this category at the moment (and it looks like Cutta will be joining them).

Some of these lists might help a little:

http://www.nhl.com/players/freelist04.html

http://www.nhl.com/players/freelist05.html

http://www.nhl.com/features/insider/freelist06.html

Thinel's name is on both the 04 and 05 lists because he signed a one year contract with Montreal for what became the 04-05 lockout season and then was extended another QO by the team in 05.

Group VI is complicated: One thing with Group VI is that the lockout season was treated differently and cannot count as one of the three pro seasons. Also, 03-04 NHL games are doubled for the NHL games played calculation. However, I don't think this applies to any of the players mentioned. I believe the reason in all of these cases is the one I described above about Group II status and playing in Europe.

Question if someone knows this: do these Group II players playng in Europe qualify for Group III UFA status when they turn the appropriate age IF they meet the accrued seasons criteria, etc.?

edit: also regarding the Group IIs playing in Europe, I assume the team could choose to release the rights to the player if they wanted to do so. Another question for those in the know, do these players count towards the 90 players teams are allowed to have on the reserve list? I always assumed they count towards the 90 player limit.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad