Question for the board..

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
LOL
Making the playoffs and losing in 5 games in round one is no better than finishing 10th.

Unless you think this team is a legit cup contender, making the playoffs doesn't mean squat.

Which leads me to this point. Is Holland really missing out on Parise and Suter after rolling snake eyes?

While either one, if not both, makes this team better this year, is it enough to make them a legit cup contender? I don't think so..

Fact is, this team needs to continue getting younger and drafting well. It's one thing to make the playoffs for 20+ years. But it's even harder to do that and win multiple cups in the process and even that can't be sustained forever.

The best thing for Detroit this year is to honestly miss the playoffs. But I also don't see them bottoming out to the lottery either. The NHL playoffs are a crapshoot and I wouldn't put it past Detroit making a run to only come up short.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
This team isn't going deep, nor will it wind up with a top 5 pick. It is either just miss or just make the playoffs. If we manage to win a series, that will probably be as far as we go. With our blue line being what it is, and our forwards being as shallow as they are after the first couple guys, I doubt we get past a single team in the playoffs.

If Holland was wise he would look to move Cleary to a team looking for depth for a mid pick or prospect, move Miller to Buffalo for whatever he can get (to play with his brother), move Huskins to a team with blue line injuries for a late pick. And depending Flip's contract talks, maybe look to move him, too, if it means adding something significant for the future.

It makes way for Nyquist, Smith+Kindl+Lashoff and gives more opportunity for Tatar and Mursak this way.

Same next year if we aren't looking so hot with guys like Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Colaiacovo and Quincey. We aren't winning the cup anytime soon, might as well jump start the rough years so we can get through it faster instead of wallowing in mediocrity for ~3 years before we start to really suck. Just get it over with quickly.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I picked lottery pick. Not because I want us to lose, really. But because I want management to change its course.

And if we finish 6th and make the playoffs, it's too easy for Babcock and Holland to do business as usual.
So I'd settle for 10th... a quick jumpstart, some housecleaning, some changes and a fresh start next year.

There is no guarantee that missing the playoffs would bring any housecleaning, win the lottery, major roster changes or changes in management. They'll use injuries and the "transition period" as an excuse (not baseless, mind you), make some changes and go at it again next season.

You have to look at this scenario: they could make the same changes they would if they made the playoffs or missed it (ex: letting Cleary go, re-signing Filppula, Brunner, Smith, Howard and promoting a couple of prospects like Nyquist and Sheahan/Ferraro) and they would end up with a mid-round pick if they missed the playoffs or if they made it either way (except if they make it, they have a shot at the Cup).

And I want them to keep the playoff streak alive.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Playoffs obviously.

Did people think this would be a smooth transition without stuggles? They'll get on track, and if Helm is able to come back they can do some damage in the playoffs. This team is far from hopeless.

Seriously, how the **** could anyone want a lottery pick when this team might only have Datsyuk for one more year??!?! Silliness...

Do you really think adding helm is going to help do damage in the playoffs??? Helm is a third line player

Aug 6, 2012
The Devils won the lottery with a much lower chance than almost everyone else in it.
The rules only allowed you to move up 4 spots by winning it, so instead of picking 8th they moved up to 4th.

I'm not 100% certain that previous seasons will come into effect for this upcoming draft as they haven't specified exactly how the format will change. All they have said is that now every non-playoff team has some chance at getting the first pick.

The last I heard they were basing it off the format used in the Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes which is where you were assigned 1 ball for every time you missed the playoffs in the past 3 seasons only now that would be combined with a set number of balls based on your position in the standings.

Either way the chances of the Wings finishing bad enough to have a decent chance of winning the Lottery are pretty much non-existent, and only 1 team will be moving up at all.

I don't think they're using a teams' previous years for this years' draft. That was only the case if there were to be a lockout. I'm pretty sure they're going by where you place THIS year.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If we miss the playoffs then so be it, I think we should be on the selling side come trade deadline. But this team is not bad enough(especially not if healthy down the stretch) to have a legit shot at the lottery. So realistically, I'd rather watch some playoff hockey(hey, you never know) and take the 15-20th overall pick than not have that chance and get the 10-14th overall.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If it weren't for the playoff streak, lottery team would be the correct answer. I think I'd be more excited for draft day than a first round romp though...

CloneHakanPlease*

I always pull for the team to be successful. So I voted playoffs.

I always root for this team to contend for a cup, so I'm actually thinking it'd be better if we miss them and start the rebuild. I think that will help us more in 5 years than making the playoffs and losing to the Blackhawks in 5 will.

I have faith Holland can turn this team around if he wakes up from his dream and makes some changes. I feel like making the playoffs will delay that for very little gain overall.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I always root for this team to contend for a cup, so I'm actually thinking it'd be better if we miss them and start the rebuild. I think that will help us more in 5 years than making the playoffs and losing to the Blackhawks in 5 will.

I have faith Holland can turn this team around if he wakes up from his dream and makes some changes. I feel like making the playoffs will delay that for very little gain overall.

It doesn't make any sense for me to root for them to suck. What I've said all along is I think this season is a rebuild. And I stand by that. The best move IMO is to play our younger players to see what they bring to the table. I think Cory Emmerton has been a poster child for what happens when you don't give a guy a shot until he's out of options. He was bad last year but he's starting to look like a useful NHL player this season. We need to figure out what guys bring to the table to determine their future in Detroit.

With his impressive play Brian Lashoff will either lock down a roster spot in Detroit or he'll have some trade value. Hell, even if you just replace Quincey with Lashoff you're getting a better player who costs $520,000 as opposed to $3.775 million. That's a huge win. That gives us an extra $3+ million to spend on free agents.

Tomas Tatar is proving he can play at the NHL level so it's pretty much the same thing as Lashoff, he'll stick or if he doesn't he'll have much more trade value than he had toiling in Grand Rapids. I like what I've seen from Andersson and I think he can be a Paul Gaustad type player without the fisticuffs. I want to see Riley Sheahan get a shot. Let's find out how ready his game is for the NHL.

If we can make the playoffs with a team that includes our younger guys significant roles that makes it easier to say peace out to Cleary, Sammy, Bert, etc. You become a hungrier, more energetic team. It saves you money so you have more money to spend on free agents.

Our team has been good about building leads lately. Once we get better goaltending like we saw last night, once we get the defensive pairings clicking we'll give up fewer shots on net. I'm actually enjoying watching E take on a major role, I like seeing Lashoff play the most mins and shifts during a shutout. Tatar already has two siiiick goals. Our bottom 6 looks so much better than it did at the start of the season.

With as bad as we've been this season the thing I enjoy the most is seeing our younger guys get an opportunity and make the most of that chance.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
The best move IMO is to play our younger players to see what they bring to the table. I think Cory Emmerton has been a poster child for what happens when you don't give a guy a shot until he's out of options. He was bad last year but he's starting to look like a useful NHL player this season. We need to figure out what guys bring to the table to determine their future in Detroit.
The only thing about this is that it took injuries to get the younger players in the line-up. If Bertuzzi, Sammy, Franzen and Helm don't get injured I doubt even Tatar or Nyquist would have seen a single minute of ice time in the NHL this year. At the end of the day Holland still loves players that are 35+ because he was able to win with skilled ones in previous years. Only problem is players like Cleary, Sammy and Bertuzzi aren't skilled.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The only thing about this is that it took injuries to get the younger players in the line-up. If Bertuzzi, Sammy, Franzen and Helm don't get injured I doubt even Tatar or Nyquist would have seen a single minute of ice time in the NHL this year. At the end of the day Holland still loves players that are 35+ because he was able to win with skilled ones in previous years. Only problem is players like Cleary, Sammy and Bertuzzi aren't skilled.

Eh, Lashoff is taking a spot in Detroit. Tatar is taking a spot in Detroit. I don't know if Andersson has locked down a spot but I think he's got a decent shot to spend the year in Detroit. Filppula got a call up and never went back down. Same with Helm in '08-09. And Abdelkader in '09-10. Some guys make the most of their opportunity. Lots of guys are getting a chance this season, I hope Sheahan gets one.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Eh, Lashoff is taking a spot in Detroit. Tatar is taking a spot in Detroit. I don't know if Andersson has locked down a spot but I think he's got a decent shot to spend the year in Detroit. Filppula got a call up and never went back down. Same with Helm in '08-09. And Abdelkader in '09-10. Some guys make the most of their opportunity. Lots of guys are getting a chance this season, I hope Sheahan gets one.
I agree completely. All I was trying to say is that if it wasn't for the injuries these guys would have never had a shot to begin with.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I always pull for the team to be successful. So I voted playoffs.

Barely making the playoffs and losing in the first round is not success in a league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs.

That's like the definition of average, mediocrity.

I don't see what's so special about the playoff streak. I'd gladly miss the playoffs 5 years in a row if it meant every sixth year was a Stanley Cup. I'd rather miss 20 playoffs in a row and get a Cup than make it 20 years in a row and never win.

There's only one winner. This whole "making the playoffs" thing is no achievement. Most of the teams in the league make it. Is that something to be cheering about? After 20+ years of making the playoffs, just making it isn't good enough for me anymore. I like to see actual contention and possibility of winning it all.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Barely making the playoffs and losing in the first round is not success in a league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs.

That's like the definition of average, mediocrity.

I don't see what's so special about the playoff streak. I'd gladly miss the playoffs 5 years in a row if it meant every sixth year was a Stanley Cup. I'd rather miss 20 playoffs in a row and get a Cup than make it 20 years in a row and never win.

There's only one winner. This whole "making the playoffs" thing is no achievement. Most of the teams in the league make it. Is that something to be cheering about? After 20+ years of making the playoffs, just making it isn't good enough for me anymore. I like to see actual contention and possibility of winning it all.

It's more enjoyable watching games where we are competitive and could get more hockey games during the playoffs. More games with Pavs, but unfortunately that also means more games with Sammy, Cleary and Quincey. :shakehead

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I don't think they're using a teams' previous years for this years' draft. That was only the case if there were to be a lockout. I'm pretty sure they're going by where you place THIS year.

You could be right, what I saw was from Darren Dreger and he and others were speculating how the new lottery format would work.

Nobody knows how the format will change, but they seemed to think that the weighting system for the draft would take more than just this seasons finish into account when determining your chances of winning the lottery.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
4 of the 5 Point Leaders are Former 1st Overall Picks
------------------------------GP G A P
1 Steven Stamkos TBL C 17 12 14 26
2 Thomas Vanek BUF L 18 12 13 25
3 Sidney Crosby PIT C 18 7 18 25
4 John Tavares NYI C 18 12 11 23
5 Patrick Kane CHI R 17 9 14 23

First overalls from 2006, 2007, 2008,2009...

As you can probably tell I am in favour of the lottery.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I have a hard time understanding how anybody could wish for this team to miss the playoffs. To me missing the playoffs is the ultimate failure. Missing the playoffs and getting a lottery pick is not what I consider a successful season. I would much rather make it as the eighth seed and see what happens. Who knows maybe lightning strikes and Jimmy goes on a tear and you win. Missing you lose any chance.

Sometimes as a fan you have to take the good seasons with the bad. If it is bad I'm not going to whine and complain every chance I get. I'm going to suck it up and cheer for them to turn it around.

Last edited:

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
They will squeak into the playoffs. After that, who knows, anything can happen. I look forward to next year more than I do for this years playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad