Question for the board..

RedWinged

Mar 20, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Going into the season, nobody expected the Red Wings to do anything special.

Even so, the injuries have held the team back more often than not. Not to mention, the funk some players and coaches are in.

Any who, our playoff streak is on the line. If we make the playoffs, we will be just fodder for Chicago or the other top teams in the west. More than that, our draft position would get worse.

On the other hand, if we miss the playoffs, our draft position is likely to get much better, and who knows, we might even get a top 10 lottery pick, if we suck real bad, the second half of the schedule looks promising on that front.

So, would you rather keep the playoff streak alive, or jostle for better draft position.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'd rather the Wings make the playoffs and if relatively healthy I think they could pull off an upset or two. I know the schedule is about to get a lot harder but I still have a lot of blind faith in this team. No way they get a top 5 pick.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
If they miss the playoffs, it'll be narrowly, so wouldn't they still pick midway? At least if they make the playoffs, they have a chance to go deep. A chance.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Regardless of where the Wings finish we will only have 1 ball in the lottery because of our making the playoffs the past few years. We also aren't anywhere near bad enough for our pick to be in the top 5 where the elite talent will be. Only 1 team will move up based on the lottery anyways.

Not sure why anyone would want to miss the playoffs to pick 3 or 4 spots earlier than we likely will by making the playoffs.

RedWingsNow*

I picked lottery pick. Not because I want us to lose, really. But because I want management to change its course.

And if we finish 6th and make the playoffs, it's too easy for Babcock and Holland to do business as usual.
So I'd settle for 10th... a quick jumpstart, some housecleaning, some changes and a fresh start next year.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I'll take a lottery pick. This is a shortened season and we aren't good enough to make any noise this year. Might as well miss the playoffs. It might make Holland actually do something besides planning on re-signing Cleary, White, and Mursack.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
This team is not good enough to win a cup even if they are healthy. A lottery pick would be the best thing that could happen to this team. Imagine having Seth Jones next year...........

I want the Wings to win, but i dont see them winning the cup if they squeak in as a 6-8th seed. They were a better team last year and got slaughtered by Nashville.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I think anyone rooting for playoffs is rooting for long term losing.

Or they're rooting for short term winning? We're only going to have Datsyuk and Zetterberg in their primes for a couple more years. I'd prefer to take the middle approach. Make the playoffs as a lower seed, don't trade away picks or specs for vets.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
This team is not good enough to win a cup even if they are healthy. A lottery pick would be the best thing that could happen to this team. Imagine having Seth Jones next year...........

I want the Wings to win, but i dont see them winning the cup if they squeak in as a 6-8th seed. They were a better team last year and got slaughtered by Nashville.

The Wings don't have any chance of getting Seth Jones.

Even if they finished dead last their chances would be bad of getting the first overall pick due to their past few seasons.

I also don't think missing the playoffs is going to bring sweeping changes to the team, the most change you'd see is a new coach.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The Wings don't have any chance of getting Seth Jones.

Even if they finished dead last their chances would be bad of getting the first overall pick due to their past few seasons.

I also don't think missing the playoffs is going to bring sweeping changes to the team, the most change you'd see is a new coach.

A top ten draft pick still beats losing in the first round. Wings are one step away from Calgary flames territory. Perpetual mediocrity is a fate worse than death in pro sports.

Holland's last ace is the playoff streak. Once he loses that, he should come to his senses.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
If we get top 5 pick for missing the playoff, I would be okay with that.

If we are not going to make the playoff, I want us to fall early so we can trade some dead-weight for futures.

The problem is, I think we will be 7~12th in conference. We will miss the lottery pick and we won't trade any players.

If we can't get top 5 pick and some future for trading our players I will go for playoff

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
A top ten draft pick still beats losing in the first round. Wings are one step away from Calgary flames territory. Perpetual mediocrity is a fate worse than death in pro sports.

Holland's last ace is the playoff streak. Once he loses that, he should come to his senses.

Who says it will be a top 10 pick? If the season were to end today it would be the 14th pick. If they made the playoffs and got eliminated in the 1st round it would likely be around 16-19.

Why would one bad season change Holland's philosophy that has been successful for 15 years? Especially in a shortened season where the team lead the league in games lost to injuries.

There is no comparison between the Wings and Calgary. The Flames have missed the playoffs 3 years straight and have 3x the Wings chances of winning the lottery even if the Wings finished behind them. If the Wings had finished 9th, 9th and 11th in the conference for the past 3 years I'd be all for tanking for a better draft pick, but there is no point considering how the lottery works.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Playoffs obviously.

Did people think this would be a smooth transition without stuggles? They'll get on track, and if Helm is able to come back they can do some damage in the playoffs. This team is far from hopeless.

Seriously, how the **** could anyone want a lottery pick when this team might only have Datsyuk for one more year??!?! Silliness...

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Who says it will be a top 10 pick? If the season were to end today it would be the 14th pick. If they made the playoffs and got eliminated in the 1st round it would likely be around 16-19.

Why would one bad season change Holland's philosophy that has been successful for 15 years? Especially in a shortened season where the team lead the league in games lost to injuries.

There is no comparison between the Wings and Calgary. The Flames have missed the playoffs 3 years straight and have 3x the Wings chances of winning the lottery even if the Wings finished behind them. If the Wings had finished 9th, 9th and 11th in the conference for the past 3 years I'd be all for tanking for a better draft pick, but there is no point considering how the lottery works.

I didn't realize the lottery took past seasons into account. How did NJ miss the playoffs for one year and wind up with the 4th pick? Just awesome luck?

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
voted for playoffs. a team with dats and zetta is simply to strong to miss the playoffs.
regardless what rubbish the have to play with. i always have to laugh when penguin fans are complaining about the wingers of crosby. lol
i would trade them immediately for abdelkader and cleary.

RedWingsNow*

Playoffs

rooting for losing is pathetic

LOL
Making the playoffs and losing in 5 games in round one is no better than finishing 10th.

Unless you think this team is a legit cup contender, making the playoffs doesn't mean squat.

RedWingsNow*

Playoffs obviously.

Did people think this would be a smooth transition without stuggles? They'll get on track, and if Helm is able to come back they can do some damage in the playoffs. This team is far from hopeless.

Seriously, how the **** could anyone want a lottery pick when this team might only have Datsyuk for one more year??!?! Silliness...

If we had a real NHL defense and a scoring line winger for Pavel, I'd see your point.

But this team is a pretender. Plain and simple.

This isn't the LA Kings -- a young team with tons of talent -- hungry, and on the upswing, with a new coach to swing the momentum around.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I didn't realize the lottery took past seasons into account. How did NJ miss the playoffs for one year and wind up with the 4th pick? Just awesome luck?

The Devils won the lottery with a much lower chance than almost everyone else in it.
The rules only allowed you to move up 4 spots by winning it, so instead of picking 8th they moved up to 4th.

I'm not 100% certain that previous seasons will come into effect for this upcoming draft as they haven't specified exactly how the format will change. All they have said is that now every non-playoff team has some chance at getting the first pick.

The last I heard they were basing it off the format used in the Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes which is where you were assigned 1 ball for every time you missed the playoffs in the past 3 seasons only now that would be combined with a set number of balls based on your position in the standings.

Either way the chances of the Wings finishing bad enough to have a decent chance of winning the Lottery are pretty much non-existent, and only 1 team will be moving up at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad