Question for people who have created stats websites

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
I've done a little bit of browsing around on this sub-forum and seen some pretty impressive statistic websites put together by users. I was hoping on starting off on a similar project. I don't have much of a plan or timeline right now just something I've been considering.

My Main questions
-What're your costs?
-How long does it take to build?
-Are you developing from scratch?
-Any other general tips?

Thanks!

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
For my site:
- $10/month private virtual server hosting
- About a year to launch plus about 12-15 hr/week afterwards at least to maintain and develop. I'm my own sysadmin, dba, webmaster, programmer, qa...
- Yes
- You need to have a new concept, something that is not being done elsewhere.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
For my site:
- About a year to launch plus about 12-15 hr/week afterwards at least to maintain and develop. I'm my own sysadmin, dba, webmaster, programmer, qa...
- Yes
You do 12-15 hours per week maintaining or developing? If it’s mostly maintaining, that seems very excessive.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I used to have a site that took maybe a month to build but to be fair, I barely slept and it was the only thing I was doing during class in college. Instead of taking notes I was just coding. I also spent no time maintaining it as everything was automated. Bugs normally appeared only in the beginning of the season.

Cost 12 per month with Linode but I wouldn’t recommend it to someone who is new.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I use Your-Site.Com Website Hosting for hockeygoalies.org hosting ($60/year) and domain registration ($11.99/year). I'd recommend.

I've been building continuously since 1994; currently I spend a fair amount of time building out new content, and it's one of the ways I relax so I don't really count the hours specifically. Maybe 10-15 hours/week?

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
You do 12-15 hours per week maintaining or developing? If it’s mostly maintaining, that seems very excessive.
It's both. My site has a lot of different functionality, so sometimes I discover bugs and have to fix them: in my code, in my concepts and sometimes in the NHL data. Refactoring is also something I consider maintenance.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
I used to have a site that took maybe a month to build but to be fair, I barely slept and it was the only thing I was doing during class in college. Instead of taking notes I was just coding. I also spent no time maintaining it as everything was automated. Bugs normally appeared only in the beginning of the season.

Cost 12 per month with Linode but I wouldn’t recommend it to someone who is new.

For my site:
- Yes

I use Your-Site.Com Website Hosting for hockeygoalies.org hosting ($60/year) and domain registration ($11.99/year). I'd recommend.

I've been building continuously since 1994; currently I spend a fair amount of time building out new content, and it's one of the ways I relax so I don't really count the hours specifically. Maybe 10-15 hours/week?

Thanks for the responses guys!

Costs are about what I expected.

Unfortunately my coding skills are pretty minimal (took a couple lower level CS courses in University, very low level but did involve some coding in Python and Scheme). I'm just a massive hockey stats nerd who wastes away hours of leisure time scrolling through hockey and other sports statistics so I figured I'd actually find a way to put that time to good use

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Thanks for the responses guys!

Costs are about what I expected.

Unfortunately my coding skills are pretty minimal (took a couple lower level CS courses in University, very low level but did involve some coding in Python and Scheme). I'm just a massive hockey stats nerd who wastes away hours of leisure time scrolling through hockey and other sports statistics so I figured I'd actually find a way to put that time to good use
You can make the site in Python if that’s the language you feel most comfortable with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad