Question for Current Season Ticket Holders

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
I have an opportunity to purchase (2) Season Tickets. I have been on the waiting list for 2 years and am currently in 2095 spot, however a colleague of mine is asking if I want to buy into a group purchase which he has been involved in which initially started with me going 50/50 with another buyer but that buyer has since backed out which leaves me with sole posession of both tickets for all games.

My concern is that I could not possibly attend even half of the games, more realistically in the 10-12 game mark.

My question to the current STH's is how often do your games that you can not attend are you able to sell? I am not trying to MAKE money on the seats but I would like to break even based on the games I do attend...is this feasible? Where do you have the most success re-selling your seats?

Apparently there is going to be a season seat holder "seat selection" for the new arena in July where deposits need to be placed as well...can anybody confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
I want to base it off the track record for the past couple years which would obviously be worst case scenario. I would think that most games for the first half wouldn't be an issue, but after hearing the dread of games not selling for $15/ ticket it scares me. That's a big chunk of change haha

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I go to about 35 of the 45 games (41 plus 4 preseason). I Usually sell 10.

If you are willing to sell Toronto , Montreal and Pittsburgh (my tickes cost $110 each and I sell them for $300 each). Lesser prime games ie Cal, Van, Chi will sell for say $225 and weekend games against decent teams will sell for $150-$175. This was last year when the team sucked.

With McDavid I would assume it will go up.

So say 5k per seat and I get about 2k credit by the end of the year. Down side is I give up some good games but on the upside I pay about $85 a ticket instead.

I have never not sold a game I put up but understand I put up desirable

Last edited:

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Does anyone know offhand how many more season seats will be opening up in the new arena? I'm on the waiting list as well.

millax

Dec 24, 2005
I have been a season seat holder for the last ten years. I have tried selling tickets in a few different ways.

The most successful way to do it is to sell the games prior to the start of the year. People are optimistic and are willing to buy games for the sake of seeing the Oilers potential.

Once the season starts into it you are only going to be able to find fans of other teams and parents with young children to sell to. Often you will have to sell for less than face value.

Basically from February on it is impossible to even give the tickets away for free. Nobody cares. The arena would be fairly empty some nights.

However, if the Oilers start being competitive you will have no issue selling throughout the entire year.

Anyways.. I suggest that you pick the games you want to go to once the schedule comes out.. and Sell as many as possible (potentially in chunks to other people who want a sort of mini game pack) prior to the first puck being dropped. The McDavid hype will help you offload them no problem.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I have an opportunity to purchase (2) Season Tickets. I have been on the waiting list for 2 years and am currently in 2095 spot, however a colleague of mine is asking if I want to buy into a group purchase which he has been involved in which initially started with me going 50/50 with another buyer but that buyer has since backed out which leaves me with sole posession of both tickets for all games.

My concern is that I could not possibly attend even half of the games, more realistically in the 10-12 game mark.

My question to the current STH's is how often do your games that you can not attend are you able to sell? I am not trying to MAKE money on the seats but I would like to break even based on the games I do attend...is this feasible? Where do you have the most success re-selling your seats?

Apparently there is going to be a season seat holder "seat selection" for the new arena in July where deposits need to be placed as well...can anybody confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

are the tickets going to be in your name? would suck if they were under your friends name and he got the playoff tickets, and you didn't.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You should try and find somebody to split 1/2 the games before the season starts. Someone will be willing (hell someone here might be willing) and it would be a lot less of a hassle than trying to move games as they come up. Especially if the team sucks.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
I will echo what McLotto said - if you focus on selling the tickets to Toronto, Montreal and Pittsburgh (and in general to good or Original 6 Eastern teams) you can make well over face value. That should easily compensate for selling a few tickets late in the season for pennies.

Trader

Jan 13, 2007
Yes they will be in my name and I will take over 100% ownership

Just curious, how are you able to get someone else's tickets put into your name? I was under the impression (based on the season seat registry rules) that unless you are immediate family of the season seat owner any transfer of tickets was not possible.

Last edited:

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Just curious, how are you able to get someone else's tickets put into your name? I was under the impression (based on the season seat registry rules) that unless you are immediate family of the season seat owner any transfer of tickets was not possible.

I am not totally sure on the specifics. I am meeting with them on Saturday to discuss so I should know more then. My understanding is that there is a group that purchases approx $250K worth of Season Seats and once seats become available in that group they are up for purchase. Let's say I get these seats and I use them for 5 years and I decide to walk away, they would go back in the pool. At least that is my understanding.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
You should try and find somebody to split 1/2 the games before the season starts. Someone will be willing (hell someone here might be willing) and it would be a lot less of a hassle than trying to move games as they come up. Especially if the team sucks.

Yes, I am going to split with my dad 50/50. We will prob pick 6-8 games each and sell the rest

I am looking to buy approx. 15 sets of tickets (2) before season start if the seats are ok. PM me.

Will let you know after Saturday how it plays out

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

Thanks in advance!

So if you think you can't go to even half the games, why are you on the waiting list for seasons tickets ???

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
So if you think you can't go to even half the games, why are you on the waiting list for seasons tickets ???

My goal is and always has been to sell off the remainder of the games to potentially break even for the games that I do attend...

And to always have (gulp....) playoff tickets

Trader

Jan 13, 2007
I am not totally sure on the specifics. I am meeting with them on Saturday to discuss so I should know more then. My understanding is that there is a group that purchases approx $250K worth of Season Seats and once seats become available in that group they are up for purchase. Let's say I get these seats and I use them for 5 years and I decide to walk away, they would go back in the pool. At least that is my understanding.

Update?

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
My advice, find a source to sell to other that your friends and family, they always need a day or two to decide. And listing early is the way to go (up until everybody wants to forget the Oilers exist). I actually found the company classified ads works ok, but we have always basically sold are tickets for cost (just round up to a 5 or 10 so we don't have to deal with change).

sudz49

Sep 14, 2008
I'm still curious if the guy can actually get the tickets in his own name.

He's my understanding on it as a current member of a group that has tickets. If you have a "personal" account meaning an individual then no, you cannot transfer ownership of said account to anyone other than your immediate family members.

That being said we have a workaround... we signed up as a "business" account and named it for our rec hockey team. Six guys have their names on the account but only one of us is listed as the primary contact. By having your name listed on the account they can then get assistance at the door if for instance you forgot your tickets at home or something. Guys can come and go from the group as they please and the primary contact can be changed to anyone in the group with the simple submission of an email request. So for example I was the guy who originated the account and am currently the primary contact. If I say moved to Arizona I'm told I can transfer the primary contact over to one of my friends and the account is now his. Payment on the account is done through whoever is the current primary contact. Simple, and it works well for us.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
I was told by the Oilers a couple years ago that to switch the account to someone else they would have to be added as a second person on the account and be on the account for a year before the previous account holder(s) could be deleted from the account. Not sure if this is still the case though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad