Question for anyone that knows anything about TV's

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A few days my TV starting acting strange, the screen will go completely white for a while, and then it will cut back and work fine a while but will eventually to screen will turn back to solid white again, but it will always cut back in, at least so far it's only been doing it a few days so this isn't a long term thing.

I originally assumed the TV was dying as it's an old TV but I don't think so anymore because the audio works perfect it's just the screen.

What's going on

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I once had a TV that did a similar thing. It was a bad (cracked) ceramic capacitor. When the TV was hot, the capacitor would open and arc and we would lose the video and the audio was disturbed. I would shut the TV off and after 15 or 20 minutes it would cool and the video came back for another hour or so. I found a TV repair shop that replaced those capacitors for about $100. You have to decide if you want to fix it or replace it. Problems that come and go are the hardest to find and repair. Good luck!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I once had a TV that did a similar thing. It was a bad (cracked) ceramic capacitor. When the TV was hot, the capacitor would open and arc and we would lose the video and the audio was disturbed. I would shut the TV off and after 15 or 20 minutes it would cool and the video came back for another hour or so. I found a TV repair shop that replaced those capacitors for about $100. You have to decide if you want to fix it or replace it. Problems that come and go are the hardest to find and repair. Good luck!

My TV is good most of the time but it will cut out, everyday usually early in the morning but sometimes in the afternoon. But it works probably 90% of the time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Like adsfan said, it's probably a capacitor. I have a similar issue with my TV, but only when I turn it on. The picture will have white lines and extreme ghosting for about 15 seconds, but then will be perfectly fine. It's been slowly taking longer since it first started last year and I figure that one or more capacitors are failing and taking longer and longer to warm up. I can live with it for now because it's predictable and easy to wait out, but your issue sounds a little more inconvenient. Basically, yeah, your TV is probably "dying" and, assuming that it's no longer under warranty, you'll have to decide if you can live with it, want to repair it or want to replace it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I will say, this, I don't know if it makes any difference but I don't have any white lines it's a solid white screen

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well I thought it fixed itself because it had stopped completely for a few days but it just did it again although it is extra hot today

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad