Question:Does a player have to go to draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Let's say I'm Alexander Ovechkin...

Can I go like ah screw the draft, I elect myself to be Unrestricted Free Agent and I am taking calls from all teams...Can any player do that? or do they all have to go threw the draft?

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
he has the additional problem of being a euro player... he's got to be drafted to be eligible to play in the NHL even if he holds himself out until he's 30.

I'm not sure about this rule though... say he had come over at age 16 with his family, would he still be under the euro import rules?

Other question... say he's drafted, then applies to play US college hockey and transfers to the CHL. He can then hit UFA status in 2 years correct?? Just like Comrie and VanRyn?

leafaholix*

habsfansam said:
Other question... say he's drafted, then applies to play US college hockey and transfers to the CHL. He can then hit UFA status in 2 years correct?? Just like Comrie and VanRyn?
No, you have to be drafted out of the CHL for that 2 year rule to apply.

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
Leafaholix said:
No, you have to be drafted out of the CHL for that 2 year rule to apply.
cool thanks.

do you know what the deal is for euro's who come to NA for juniors... when are they NA players and when are they euro's with regards to draft rules?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
habsfansam said:
cool thanks.

do you know what the deal is for euro's who come to NA for juniors... when are they NA players and when are they euro's with regards to draft rules?

If they are drafted from a CHL team they are considered CHL Players.

When they get drafted out of a euro league than come to the CHL they are treated like Euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->