Question about Zibanejad

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaktorblue

Jul 16, 2007
I'm aware that some NYR fans and fans of other teams call NYR the "Rags" which is considered derogatory but I'm curious about "Zbad" for Zibanejad.

It falls under the same category to me where I hear it said by NYR fans and fans of other hockey teams alike but always thought it was probably derogatory. I was talking about this with a few friends and was told that it wasn't derogatory and that Zibanejad even referred to himself as Zbad.

I wasn't able to find any proof of that online and was curious, has anyone ever heard of either himself or anyone in the NYR organization calling him Zbad?

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Nothing wrong with Zbad.

Rags is a different story. To me, it's a reference to something I can't really talk about on here, but you may or may not know what I mean...

Reactions: bl02

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I'm aware that some NYR fans and fans of other teams call NYR the "Rags" which is considered derogatory but I'm curious about "Zbad" for Zibanejad.

It falls under the same category to me where I hear it said by NYR fans and fans of other hockey teams alike but always thought it was probably derogatory. I was talking about this with a few friends and was told that it wasn't derogatory and that Zibanejad even referred to himself as Zbad.

I wasn't able to find any proof of that online and was curious, has anyone ever heard of either himself or anyone in the NYR organization calling him Zbad?

The two aren't near each other in terms of disparaging..ness. Calling the Rangers "Rags" is in the same vein as calling the Flyers "Flygirls", the Isles "Piles", and the Devils "Debbies". A closer example to a derogatory player nickname would be Rick Nash->Dick Rash. They're clearly plays on the names in a way that puts the teams/player down. "Zbad" isn't referencing/calling him bad - calling him "Zibadnejad" would be more in the realm of derogatory. "Zbad", to me, is just shorthand for his last name. If you cut out the middle of his name, that's essentially the letters you're left with - Zibad. Cut out the "i" and you have Zbad.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
While I can hardly be considered a neutral fan, I used to use "Rags" as shorthand without ever meaning it to be offensive. Like, I'd never "say" Rags when discussing them, just typing shorthand for Net usage.

That said, understanding its offense to many, I typically just use NYR now.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
While I do get a slight bit of annoyance when the word is used, the spectacular offense that people take regarding that word when probably 95% of fans just think it's the Rangers' equivalent of Pens is really unbecoming of adults.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
While I do get a slight bit of annoyance when the word is used, the spectacular offense that people take regarding that word when probably 95% of fans just think it's the Rangers' equivalent of Pens is really unbecoming of adults.

Honestly, I really don't care about it. And while most people don't realize it these days, the newest Garden is in what was known as the "rag district" (ie clothing/textiles--the formal name of the neighborhood is the garment district)). When I was much younger I thought the two were connected--my grandfather always said he was in the rag business when someone asked.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I do (I like the blues). Or how many hockey fans know why Columbus named themselves the blue jackets?

One of my favorite franchises for that reason. I thought their first jerseys played on the name quite cleverly, but I just respect meaningful names — as opposed to generic names like “Predators”, “Flyers” or “Devils.”

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
One of my favorite franchises for that reason. I thought their first jerseys played on the name quite cleverly, but I just respect meaningful names — as opposed to generic names like “Predators”, “Flyers” or “Devils.”
I mean, at least Devils is lore as in Leeds' "Jersey Devil" :)

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

So you basically just want people to calm down and go with the flow?

Reactions: Killem Dafoe

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So you basically just want people to calm down and go with the flow?

Are you referencing me being pissed off about the league making a mockery of itself? Well sorry, these two things are different. One's a disgrace to the league and one's a word people use almost never with malice.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Are you referencing me being pissed off about the league making a mockery of itself? Well sorry, these two things are different. One's a disgrace to the league and one's a word people use almost never with malice.

I was mainly going for a lame, middle-school level joke, born out of insomnia, too much coffee, and existential dread at the pile of work that still awaits me tomorrow morning. There was no intention beyond late night immaturity. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad