question about world cup schedule history

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
how long has this tournament been around? does anyone know why the frequency of this tournament is so inconsistent? the previous one being back in '96! and then before then when it was known as the canada cup... '91, '87, '84, '81, '76...

Jazz

I can answer why it was not held in 2000.

The 2000 Sydney Olympics were held in the Southern Hemisphere, so what is normally summer in the North is winter there.

Because of this, those Summer games were held in September, instead of the usual July/early August date. The NHL, the NHLPA and the IIHF decided it would not be prudent to try and go up against it...

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Gurj said:
I can answer why it was not held in 2000.

The 2000 Sydney Olympics were held in the Southern Hemisphere, so what is normally summer in the North is winter there.

Because of this, those Summer games were held in September, instead of the usual July/early August date. The NHL, the NHLPA and the IIHF decided it would not be prudent to try and go up against it...
that's interesting, 'cause this year, the world cup is occurring just after the summer games... i guess they couldn't work around the 2000 olympic schedule back then by bumping the tourney back 2 weeks...

Jazz

ginblossoms said:
that's interesting, 'cause this year, the world cup is occurring just after the summer games... i guess they couldn't work around the 2000 olympic schedule back then by bumping the tourney back 2 weeks...

Hmmm...

Only problem there is that the CBA expires on Sept 15th (remember that comes into play) - plus if this were a normal year and there was going to be a season starting on time, the NHL teams would want their players back for training camp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->