Question about upcoming lottery draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I'm not sure if this is in the correct area or not. But, with Pittsburgh's terrible record is it even possible for them to get a high pick in the lottery? Do they still do what they did this past year with the ping pong balls, taking one out for every #1 draft pick they have had over the past couple years. If that is so, would MAF count against them?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
it goes back to the old format, only non-playoff teams involved. max you can move up is 4 spots, max you can drop is 1 spot...bottom 5 teams in the league have a shot at the #1 pick...

what they did last year with everyone having a shot was a one time thing due to the lockout and no season.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
NYR469 said:
it goes back to the old format, only non-playoff teams involved. max you can move up is 4 spots, max you can drop is 1 spot...bottom 5 teams in the league have a shot at the #1 pick...

what they did last year with everyone having a shot was a one time thing due to the lockout and no season.
Although u are probably right has there been any confirmation of how the draft will work exactly. Obviously it wont be like last season but i wouldnt be shocked to see every team with the possibility of moving either up or down 5 spots or something.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
vanwychen27 said:
Although u are probably right has there been any confirmation of how the draft will work exactly. Obviously it wont be like last season but i wouldnt be shocked to see every team with the possibility of moving either up or down 5 spots or something.

it will be exactly how its always been with the exception of last year just like i said. i'm 1000% sure of this.

Skroob*

does the "cant have a 1st overall if you've had x #1's in in x years" rule come into play? does it exist? ive heard rumors, but havent seen any hard proof, i dont think

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
NYR469 said:
it will be exactly how its always been with the exception of last year just like i said. i'm 1000% sure of this.

Agreed this is what I have heard as well.

I'm thinking St. Louis gets #1 pick and takes Johnson to be their eventual Pronger replacement. (I know Pronger is in Edmonton now)

And then the Penguins with the #2 pick take Kessel and play him on RW with Crosby for the next 10 years. With Malkin centering the second scoring line they will be a scary offensive team.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Skroob said:
does the "cant have a 1st overall if you've had x #1's in in x years" rule come into play? does it exist? ive heard rumors, but havent seen any hard proof, i dont think

No I think that was also a one time thing for the lockout lottery.

Skroob*

McDonald19 said:
No I think that was also a one time thing for the lockout lottery.

why would they have even made that rule then if the one year they had it, it didnt apply to anyone???

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Skroob said:
why would they have even made that rule then if the one year they had it, it didnt apply to anyone???

I thought it did apply to a team. Isn't that why Florida drafted towards the end of the first round?

Skroob said:

There was no rule like that. For last year's lottery though, teams were penalized for having had a #1 pick in the last 5 years. They had one of the balls given to them for the lottery taken away.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
vanwychen27 said:
Anyone know for sure how the draft will work?

it basically works like it has the past few years, besides te last draft.

Bottom ten teams go into a lottery. The lower your team the less amount of balls you get in the draw. You win you move up 5 spots.

so if you finish last, you can get the first pick by either winning the lottery or having team 7-10 winning.

If team 7 wins they move up to 2nd, team 8 would get 3rd, team 9 would get 4th and ten ten would get 5th.

Vic Rattlehead*

McDonald19 said:

I'm thinking St. Louis gets #1 pick and takes Johnson to be their eventual Pronger replacement. (I know Pronger is in Edmonton now)

And then the Penguins with the #2 pick take Kessel and play him on RW with Crosby for the next 10 years. With Malkin centering the second scoring line they will be a scary offensive team.

And then they'll get another top five pick because their defence will still be horrible.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
19bruins19 said:
And then they'll get another top five pick because their defence will still be horrible.

If this were the case, are you suggesting they waste a 2nd overall pick on a not-so-hot defensive prospect that will not help their defense for a few years anyway???

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The Penguins have won ONE lottery (Crosby) since 1984 and Mario (that's 21 years).
ONE.
Could people please stop making some things up?
And don't say they had plenty of #2. Since 1989, they had ONE #1 (Crosby as said above) and they had ONE #2 (Malkin).
They also had ONE #3 (traded to move up and grab Fleury).
They had ZERO #4.
And two #5 (Jagr and Whitney).
Other than that, it's a team that picked 16th (1989), 16th (91), 19th (92), 26th (93), 24th (94), 24th (95), 23rd (96), 17th (97), 23rd (98), 18th (99), 18th (00), 21st (01).
So 5 top 15 picks in 16 years. 5 times in the bottom half out of 16 drafts.
So please stop the urban legend about the Penguins drafting high. The Panthers and several other teams have drafted much higher than the Penguins over the last 15 years.
Of course, the 14 year old kids only remember the last three years, but that's another problem.

Rather Gingerly 1*

McDonald19 said:

Who will draft 3 and 4th?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Evilo said:
The Penguins have won ONE lottery (Crosby) since 1984 and Mario (that's 21 years).
ONE.
Could people please stop making some things up?
And don't say they had plenty of #2. Since 1989, they had ONE #1 (Crosby as said above) and they had ONE #2 (Malkin).
They also had ONE #3 (traded to move up and grab Fleury).
They had ZERO #4.
And two #5 (Jagr and Whitney).
Other than that, it's a team that picked 16th (1989), 16th (91), 19th (92), 26th (93), 24th (94), 24th (95), 23rd (96), 17th (97), 23rd (98), 18th (99), 18th (00), 21st (01).
So 5 top 15 picks in 16 years. 5 times in the bottom half out of 16 drafts.
So please stop the urban legend about the Penguins drafting high. The Panthers and several other teams have drafted much higher than the Penguins over the last 15 years.
Of course, the 14 year old kids only remember the last three years, but that's another problem.

Panthers havent been around 15 years, but yeah. Expansion teams will draft high early on. Penguins have drafted high recently though, 5 years of 5 top picks.

Last years draft annoyed me, its a crime the panthers had the #29 pick.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
J17ster said:
Panthers havent been around 15 years, but yeah. Expansion teams will draft high early on. Penguins have drafted high recently though, 5 years of 5 top picks.

Last years draft annoyed me, its a crime the panthers had the #29 pick.
No the Panthers picked high RECENTLY. Not in their early years in fact.
As for your numbers you're wrong.
The pens have picked 21st (Armstrong), 5th (Whitney), 3rd (traded for Fleury)), 2nd (Malkin) and 1st (Crosby) in the last 5 drafts.
Which is if my science is up to the task, FOUR top 5 picks.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Evilo said:
No the Panthers picked high RECENTLY. Not in their early years in fact.
As for your numbers you're wrong.
The pens have picked 21st (Armstrong), 5th (Whitney), 3rd (traded for Fleury)), 2nd (Malkin) and 1st (Crosby) in the last 5 drafts.
Which is if my science is up to the task, FOUR top 5 picks.

I know, i should have been more clear, i included this year because the Penguins will pick top 5.
The Panthers have also had the less top 5 picks that the Pens have had recently, 2001 (4th), 2002 (3rd), 2003 (3rd).

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
McDonald19 said:

I thought pittsburgh was suppose to be scary this yr..... wow i must be missing something because that sure as heck didnt happen, they are pathetic.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
there's no way to tell in january who will pick in the top 5.
As for the Panthers, they got the first pick twice, and more times in 15 years than the Pens in their history.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Evilo said:
As for the Panthers, they got the first pick twice, and more times in 15 years than the Pens in their history.

and the panthers still suck... it seems all the teams that get good picks are always terrible

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Evilo said:
:teach: The lottery didn't start until 1995 or so. So it would be "one lottery since the lottery came into effect."

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Evilo said:

Traded down both times, you cant argue that in the last 5 years pens have had higher draft picks then virtually anyone else.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, the point is the trading down.
When you trade down, you're supposed to get assets.
No matter where you stand, you'd rather have the first pick than the 3rd.
So yes, Panthers have a history of picking high. The Pens haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad