Question about U18 SM-sarja

Vepe21

Jan 7, 2021
Finland
Those are indeed B-teams, the Ak stands for Akatemia, meaning Academy.

The thing here is that the teams aren't really in the same championship, even though they are, sort of.

I'll try to explain: So there is two levels in U18, the SM-sarja and Mestis. There are 18 teams in the SM-sarja at the beginning, and 33 in Mestis. The season is divided into phases, and after the first phase the top-10 of the SM-sarja continue in the "upper series" (this is where Kärpät and KalPa play), while the remaining 8 teams are joined by the top 8 from the 1st phase of U18 Mestis (this is where the Academy teams play). Officially both are a part of the U18 SM-sarja.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Those are indeed B-teams, the Ak stands for Akatemia, meaning Academy.

The thing here is that the teams aren't really in the same championship, even though they are, sort of.

I'll try to explain: So there is two levels in U18, the SM-sarja and Mestis. There are 18 teams in the SM-sarja at the beginning, and 33 in Mestis. The season is divided into phases, and after the first phase the top-10 of the SM-sarja continue in the "upper series" (this is where Kärpät and KalPa play), while the remaining 8 teams are joined by the top 8 from the 1st phase of U18 Mestis (this is where the Academy teams play). Officially both are a part of the U18 SM-sarja.

:amazed: :huh: Why to have something simple, if it could be difficult.

Vepe21

Jan 7, 2021
Finland
:amazed: :huh: Why to have something simple, if it could be difficult.

I think the idea is to have more opportunities for more higher level games for teams and thus help in the development of players. There is a similar structure in all age groups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->