Question About Traded Draft Pick

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I have a question about a traded 1st round pick that is now property of the Celtics via the Rajon Rondo trade to Dallas. Every site I visit says that the Celtics ( barring any future deals ) will have 3 picks in the 1st round of the 2016 NBA Draft - their own, one from Brooklyn ( thanks again Billy King ) and this pick from Dallas. But the site I use to keep track of traded picks has this information about that pick coming from Dallas:

Boston traded • Rajon Rondo • Dwight Powell to Mavericks for • Brandan Wright • Jae Crowder • Jameer Nelson • first round pick (protected top 3 and #15-30 in 2015, top 7 in 2016-20, unprotected in 2021) (?-?) • 2016 second round pick (more favorable of Grizzlies, Mavericks picks) (?-?) • $12.9M trade exception on 2014-12-18

It says that the pick is top 7 protected from 2016-2020 and then unprotected in 2021 but it doesn't say anything about which team chooses what Draft that pick has to used ???? Right now Dallas would be picking around the 20th spot in the 2016 NBA Draft so if it were up to Boston it would be better for the Celtics to hold onto that pick and hope that Dallas might slip a bit over the next few seasons. The best case scenarios for Boston would be for Dallas to end up with the # 8 pick in one of the next 4 NBA Drafts or to totally bottom out in 2021. I can't find the answer anywhere so does anybody here know whether it's Boston or Dallas that actually makes that decision ????

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The standings make the decision, not the Celtics/Mavs. So the pick will go to the Celtics as soon as the trade condition is met, which will be this year since the pick will very likely be outside the top 7.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The standings make the decision, not the Celtics/Mavs. So the pick will go to the Celtics as soon as the trade condition is met, which will be this year since the pick will very likely be outside the top 7.

Yeah - that does make sense. I was hoping the Celtics had more control on the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad