Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
16 wins brother.

price-is-right-yodeler-cliffhanger.jpg

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
95 was the greatest of the Devils 5 Stanley Cup appearances.

There is nothing that could possibly tarnish it for me, I wouldn't give a ratz azz if it was a 4 or 8 game regular season let alone a 48 game season.

If you look at the red wings roster in 95 they were STACKED.

I played golf while wearing a Devils hat, with Dino Ciccarelli < 1 month after the Devils beat the Red Wings. It was a little awkward. True story.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
16 wins brother.

price-is-right-yodeler-cliffhanger.jpg

great, now all i can hear is incessant yodeling. there goes my morning

i guess this whole thing comes down to how important the regular season is to each person when looking at a Stanley Cup win- a symbol of the playoffs, not the regular season.

the regular season still means something to me, dammit!

5dkz7p.jpg

apice3*

I'm not sure how I'll feel at the regular season, but I'm more nervous about missing the playoffs this year than last year. With a shortened season, each game becomes so much more important. If you go 2-8 during any 10 game stretch, you could very easily be kissing your playoff hopes goodbye. It's a lot easier to overcome in 82 games.

By this logic, making the playoffs should be even MORE impressive, because literally any team can do it. You're competing against the 14 other team in your conference, as opposed to when you're effectively only competing against 10 or 11 real playoff contenders.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
to be honest, its hard to say. idk about anyone else here, but i was 11 in 95. and it was our first cup, i didnt care how we got it.

were we to win the cup this year, it would feel different i think. if you dont think getting to the playoffs on half a season would feel 'different' you're not being honest with yourself. now, will it 'mean less'? perhaps, but thats a personal opinion.

In reality, when you look back on any cup year, do you really judge the regular season as a big part of the "cup run?" I'm not saying do you remember any details of it, because of course we remember games, highlights, whatever it may be from that given season. But when you think of the road to any given cup (be it for the Devils or otherwise), isn't the part that sticks out the most the playoff journey? It may be all of the series' they played, select games, moments, whatever. But its generally the playoffs that stick out as part of the "run" for it. I was 7 when they won in 95, 12 in 2000 and 15 in 2003. Obviously they're all going to stand out differently to me because of my age, but the parts that stand out for all of them are the things that happened in the playoffs. That's still the same as always, so who cares how many games they play before they start?

apice3*

In reality, when you look back on any cup year, do you really judge the regular season as a big part of the "cup run?" I'm not saying do you remember any details of it, because of course we remember games, highlights, whatever it may be from that given season. But when you think of the road to any given cup (be it for the Devils or otherwise), isn't the part that sticks out the most the playoff journey? It may be all of the series' they played, select games, moments, whatever. But its generally the playoffs that stick out as part of the "run" for it. I was 7 when they won in 95, 12 in 2000 and 15 in 2003. Obviously they're all going to stand out differently to me because of my age, but the parts that stand out for all of them are the things that happened in the playoffs. That's still the same as always, so who cares how many games they play before they start?

Yeah if you asked me to name the top 5 moments from last year:

1. Henrique vs NYR
2. Henrique vs FLA
3. Zajac vs FLA
4. Poni vs PHI
5. Carter vs NYR

I think the best regular season moment was Zidlicky beating the Islanders after we went scoreless for 59 minutes. I really don't remember anything spectacular in the regular season after watching the team battle in the playoffs.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

1. Henrique vs NYR
2. Henrique vs FLA
3. Zajac vs FLA
4. Poni vs PHI
5. Carter vs NYR

I think the best regular season moment was Zidlicky beating the Islanders after we went scoreless for 59 minutes. I really don't remember anything spectacular in the regular season after watching the team battle in the playoffs.

Main one that jumps out at me is that one Kovy breakaway goal against the Rangers where he came flying out of the zone at super human speed and beat Lundqvist on that breakaway. I think that was the game's only goal too. But yeah, not much from the regular season aside from assorted highlights stand out in my head.

apice3*

Main one that jumps out at me is that one Kovy breakaway goal against the Rangers where he came flying out of the zone at super human speed and beat Lundqvist on that breakaway. I think that was the game's only goal too. But yeah, not much from the regular season aside from assorted highlights stand out in my head.

Wasn't that from 2010-11? I remember all of those Kovy celly's being part of the 23-2 stretch, like the sliding on one knee vs. Pittsburg and the fist pumping vs. Toronto.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
I was 29 y/o when the Devils won in '95. I legit cried after they won the chalice. Part of it was due to being a fan from the beginning, part of it seeing the likes of Johnny Mac lift the chalice after skating with the likes of Phil Russell.

Nat

Aug 14, 2011

Don't forget about Clarkie tyeing goal vs Rangers ;)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

I agree, but by that logic, will we (as adults) remember that it was a shortened season 5 years from now (if we were to win the cup- not likely)? I would say yes. it will stand out.

my main point is that it will be DIFFERENT. whether its better or worse is up to each individual…the world today-2013- is very different from 1995, and I think the cup winning team’s fans will come to realize that. whether or not they care is another story :laugh: but we will hear a lot about it, I guarantee.

I still wouldn’t mind winning the cup though:

1995: ½ cup
2000: 1 cup
2003: 1 cup
2013: ½ cup

=3 cups total! finally! :sarcasm:

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Wasn't that from 2010-11? I remember all of those Kovy celly's being part of the 23-2 stretch, like the sliding on one knee vs. Pittsburg and the fist pumping vs. Toronto.

Yup. You're right. I may be losing my mind. I guess I'll have to pick a different goal Kovy scored against him last year then :nod:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

1. Henrique vs NYR
2. Henrique vs FLA
3. Zajac vs FLA
4. Poni vs PHI
5. Carter vs NYR

There were some other good ones in the regular season: Patty scoring a SH goal during his own penalty, Patty trolling Sykora during a goal celebration, the 5 on 1 PP goal against the Senators, Larsson's first goal, the Zubrus backflip, Henrique's Gordie Howe hat trick vs the Flames, Kovy's hat trick vs the Sabres, Parise's hat trick vs the Capitals. I'm sure there are even more that I am missing.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
In some ways, it can be harder to make the playoffs in a shortened season since there isn't much room for error. But like people said, you still have to win your sixteen games so I wouldn't look at it any differently. If your team wins, you have every right to enjoy it and not look at it as tainted in any form.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

1. Henrique vs NYR
2. Henrique vs FLA
3. Zajac vs FLA
4. Poni vs PHI
5. Carter vs NYR

Might just be me, but NBC's terrible camera angle change kinda ruined the Carter goal for me. But that might have just been residual anger from the Devils blowing a 3-0 lead to begin with.

The "Petr Sykora goal celebration fail" might have been one of my favorite regular season moments ever. The goal itself was a beauty with Larsson setting up Elias. The aftermath was fantastic with Patty making fun of Petr on the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->