Question About The 95 Cup

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
I can't see bettman doing that this year. I mean really perhaps you get a legend from each teams history be ready to present it.

apice3*

For the Rangers fans that were saying "half a cup" back in 1995, are they now hoping the Rangers will not make the playoffs this season?

I don't think so.

Plus how many games were played in the 20's/30's/40's? I doubt 82.

44 in their first two Cups.

48 in their third.

Pretty sure it was three 5-game series in the playoffs too. Not four 7-game series like today.

Half a Cup.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
No, you won't (if you won). The playoffs are the playoffs. They're still 16 games. When it comes to a championship, that is what matters, not the regular season.

If it were a truncated playoffs, I'd feel differently.

Yup. If you make it to the finals, by the time they start, you'll have forgotten there ever was a regular season.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Who cares what fans of other teams think? If you win 16 playoff games, you're Stanley Cup Champions and no one can ever take that away from you. As long as you're satisfied with winning the Cup (which we all were, and I guarantee this year's champion will be as well), I couldn't care less about how butthurt the fans of other teams are.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'll tell you this much, had the Devils not won another Cup after 95, it would have most certainly felt half assed all these years later. I'm not taking anything away from that 95 team, they were a force and my favorite of the 3 Cup winners, but 2000 and 2003 made sure that the 95 team wouldn't be viewed as some one hit wonder, in a shortened season no less. The last two Cups validated that 95 team for better or worse.

Personally I feel that the shortened 48 game season* is now a running joke, but if your team wins it, I suppose it "shouldn't" feel tainted. I mean this is just the way it is when your team competes in a league where playing shortened seasons is perfectly fine and normal. On the other hand, yeah, the regular season wasn't always 80+ games. But take a look at the standings for the last 30+ years and tell me what season doesn't belong?

With that said, assuming I'm fully invested in the fortunes of the team, I wouldn't want any part of the Devils winning a Cup this year. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know, but I think it would definitely take away from the prestige if 2 out of the 4 Cups were won during these ghetto seasons*. In the end, it would just be another jab to throw at the franchise.

Last edited:

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
With that said, assuming I'm fully invested in the fortunes of the team, I wouldn't want any part of the Devils winning a Cup this year. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know, but I think it would definitely take away from the prestige if 2 out of the 4 Cups were won during these ghetto seasons*. In the end, it would just be another jab to throw at the franchise.

By morons. I'd tune them out just like I tune out the people still touting the former "1/2 Cup"

In 95, they won it a season after bowing out in the conference finals.
If they were to win it this year, it'd be a season after going down 6 games in the Cup finals.

Neither victory is undeserved as they would both be teams building on prior success.
(Yeah, we lost Parise... but that's one player out of a team that's built entirely on being a team and not resting on the back of one player.)

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
By morons. I'd tune them out just like I tune out the people still touting the former "1/2 Cup"

In 95, they won it a season after bowing out in the conference finals.
If they were to win it this year, it'd be a season after going down 6 games in the Cup finals.

Neither victory is undeserved as they would both be teams building on prior success.
(Yeah, we lost Parise... but that's one player out of a team that's built entirely on being a team and not resting on the back of one player.)

Whether from morons or not, it would still be said. Not saying it's right, but it's just the way it is. I would much rather see my team win during a normal season so that their accomplishment doesn't get **** on by a bunch of idiots. It's not something you want a championship team to be remembered for, but it will be.

I haven't heard the 1/2 Cup taunt in a long time. Even from idiotic Ranger fans. I mean how could they bring that up when NJ has been to the Final 5 times since they were last back. But for those 5 years following 95, that had to be one of things that pissed me off most, that 1/2 Cup ********. That 95 team was one of the strongest playoff teams and they just rolled the competition that spring. But there was always that knock against them because it wasn't in a full season. It would still be said now like crazy had NJ not won in 00 and 03.

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
If you look at the red wings roster in 95 they were STACKED. 82, 48 , or 2 games, we swept an amazing team and that's not half an accomplishment.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
If you look at the red wings roster in 95 they were STACKED. 82, 48 , or 2 games, we swept an amazing team and that's not half an accomplishment.

I don't think beating that Wings team was some big accomplishment, as crazy as that sounds. Maybe sweeping them was pretty amazing, however, the Devils should have beat them because they were the better team. Most of the media gave NJ no chance against Detroit but anyone in the know about the Devils that spring and the prior one as well, knew full well that Detroit was going to have their hands full. Once they beat Philly, that Cup was a wrap.

Like Manilla pointed out, the success of the team the prior spring, well it did kind of lend some credibility to the 95 run. But the first and only Cup being won in a shortened season was not the most ideal situation, at least to me. It was probably made worse since NJ struggled so much in playoffs the next 4 years. Again, that team accomplished great things, but it was hard to ignore that they did it in a shortened season. That's just my honest opinion of the situation.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Nobody seems to ever bring up the fact that it was a shortened season. But does it Ha've any effect on how you feel about the cup victory?

I'm a negative person I guess and with the rangers being one of the favs this year I question my ability to enjoy it. For instance I'm a big met fan and was happy about Johan getting the no hitter. But deep down whenever my fellow Mets fans bring it up I can't help but think about that ball the in reality hit the chalk ans should have been a hit.

So do you guys get that feeling about the 95 cup or did you stop cAring cause you won 2 more.

In some ways I feel most satisfied and its worth more than one:

1) never played a team from the west until the finals-detroit was a strong team

2) the harrowing schedule

3) the vast turnaround that season after being "behind the 8 ball"

4) I was there that night in june

5) getting espn to shut down after screaming "melrose you moron" in conf finals.

6) Telling Rangers fans theyre full of it, 48 games in that condensed schedule is worth more than their crap.

7) seeing vets lead worth more especially with stamina required

Only downside was seeing slava fetisov on the other side of the handshake line.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
Nobody seems to ever bring up the fact that it was a shortened season. But does it Ha've any effect on how you feel about the cup victory?

I'm a negative person I guess and with the rangers being one of the favs this year I question my ability to enjoy it. For instance I'm a big met fan and was happy about Johan getting the no hitter. But deep down whenever my fellow Mets fans bring it up I can't help but think about that ball the in reality hit the chalk ans should have been a hit.

So do you guys get that feeling about the 95 cup or did you stop cAring cause you won 2 more.

if the Rangers win the cup this year, it is only 1/2 a cup
anyone else...consider it full

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
We would definitely hear more about it had we not won the two cups later on, either way it's stupid if people think it deserves an asterisk in some kind of diminishing way.

if the Rangers win the cup this year, it is only 1/2 a cup
anyone else...consider it full

I like where your head's at.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
I'll tell you this much, had the Devils not won another Cup after 95, it would have most certainly felt half assed all these years later. I'm not taking anything away from that 95 team, they were a force and my favorite of the 3 Cup winners, but 2000 and 2003 made sure that the 95 team wouldn't be viewed as some one hit wonder, in a shortened season no less. The last two Cups validated that 95 team for better or worse.

Personally I feel that the shortened 48 game season* is now a running joke, but if your team wins it, I suppose it "shouldn't" feel tainted. I mean this is just the way it is when your team competes in a league where playing shortened seasons is perfectly fine and normal. On the other hand, yeah, the regular season wasn't always 80+ games. But take a look at the standings for the last 30+ years and tell me what season doesn't belong?

if you have to worry about whether winning the cup is a good thing or not, man, I don't know what to tell ya

would it be better to lose in game 7 SCF? that's nutso

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
if you have to worry about whether winning the cup is a good thing or not, man, I don't know what to tell ya

would it be better to lose in game 7 SCF? that's nutso

What's so crazy about it? Should the Devils have 4 cups to their credit at some point, I'd much prefer that half of them not be won during a shortened campaign. Whether it's true or not, or right or wrong, the validity of a championship will always be called into question if it's won during a shortened season. I don't agree with it and don't appreciate the fact that a championship team will be remembered for that. But it happened in 95, and it will happen again this year. Now imagine having two of that nature? Let some other team / fan base deal with that garbage this time around.

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
What's so crazy about it? Should the Devils have 4 cups to their credit at some point, I'd much prefer that half of them not be won during a shortened campaign. Whether it's true or not, or right or wrong, the validity of a championship will always be called into question if it's won during a shortened season. I don't agree with it and don't appreciate the fact that a championship team will be remembered for that. But it happened in 95, and it will happen again this year. Now imagine having two of that nature? Let some other team / fan base deal with that garbage this time around.
don't listen to anybody who says it has an asterisk next to it. there's only 16 games in football, how come we don't see the dolphins winning every year? i know it's a different sport but that's basically what you're saying. you're gonna turn down the cup because you don't want to hear it from some ranger fans? you'll hear more if we don't win the cup, and there's plenty you can say back to them. if you don't want to win a cup you should be a maple leafs fan.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
don't listen to anybody who says it has an asterisk next to it. there's only 16 games in football, how come we don't see the dolphins winning every year? i know it's a different sport but that's basically what you're saying. you're gonna turn down the cup because you don't want to hear it from some ranger fans? you'll hear more if we don't win the cup, and there's plenty you can say back to them. if you don't want to win a cup you should be a maple leafs fan.

You don't get what I'm saying. When NJ won the Cup in 95, It didn't mean any less to me. I enjoyed it just as much as the other two and I know that they were very deserving of it. One extra bounce in their favor and they probably would have won the Cup in 94 anyways. But my beef is that no matter what, a Cup in this type of season will always be scrutinized. Maybe there is no reason to care what others think, but it's ******** that a championship team will carry that stigma. And to hell with Rangers fans, it's more about how history looks back on it. "Won in 95, but....... Won in 2013, but......"

Look at it this way. That 95 devils squad played some incredible hockey for 2 months and won the Cup w/o having home ice in any round. And as incredible a performance that team had, they're just as much known for wining in a 48 game season. That **** never sat well with me.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007

Chico says, "aint no quota on how many times you can win the cup. Golly, when I left the Island they kept winning them and winning and, oh wait Doc, you just hate to see that"

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
You don't get what I'm saying. When NJ won the Cup in 95, It didn't mean any less to me. I enjoyed it just as much as the other two and I know that they were very deserving of it. One extra bounce in their favor and they probably would have won the Cup in 94 anyways. But my beef is that no matter what, a Cup in this type of season will always be scrutinized. Maybe there is no reason to care what others think, but it's ******** that a championship team will carry that stigma. And to hell with Rangers fans, it's more about how history looks back on it. "Won in 95, but....... Won in 2013, but......"

Look at it this way. That 95 devils squad played some incredible hockey for 2 months and won the Cup w/o having home ice in any round. And as incredible a performance that team had, they're just as much known for wining in a 48 game season. That **** never sat well with me.

It's understandable. But it's the price to pay as a fan of a NJ team.
From what I've been able to gather, the only ones who ever really second guessed the value of that first Cup win... were from the surrounding major media markets.

This is a state that lives in the scope of the New York and, to a lesser extent, the Philadelphia media.
No matter what the Devils accomplish, there will always always always be a "Yeah, but..." to follow.

A Cup win in a shortened season only gave those people a louder drum to bang on.

It's just a reality of where our team happens to be located.
It's what we hear day in and day out - and I think that explains a lot about what we all know of each other as Devils fans.

No matter what, we will always be second fiddle.. whether it be to the Rangers or Flyers, even by our OWN papers and blogs. New York and Philadelphia will always take precedence because of their prominence as sports cities.

And the only way to change that is to purge the big cities out of the area. And that won't happen.
Just take it for what it is and roll on. The Devils have always been a likable team with a winning mentality, can't ask for much more as a fan.

The validation will never come from the surrounding cities, so I gave up asking for it.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
And the only way to change that is to purge the big cities out of the area. And that won't happen.
Just take it for what it is and roll on. The Devils have always been a likable team with a winning mentality, can't ask for much more as a fan.

The validation will never come from the surrounding cities, so I gave up asking for it.

That's just part of the beauty of being a Devils fan.

We don't need New York and Philadelphia's approval, we'll just let the on-ice product do the talking while those in blue or orange will continue to cry about how the "second-fiddle *****" team from Newark has been far more successful than both their teams over the last two decades, and that remains a valid point up to last year what with knocking out the both of them in succession during the playoffs.

I may live in the New York media market and be only 25 miles from Midtown in Bergen County (and right across the Hudson in Hoboken when I'm at school), but alas, I'm not from New York. I'm from New Jersey, and that's a badge of honor I wear in the form of the "NJ" monogram.

If we wanted the approval of the "big brother" teams, we'd ask for it, but again, those three Cup banners make for a team that don't need approval from anyone on the outside.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
to be honest, its hard to say. idk about anyone else here, but i was 11 in 95. and it was our first cup, i didnt care how we got it.

were we to win the cup this year, it would feel different i think. if you dont think getting to the playoffs on half a season would feel 'different' you're not being honest with yourself. now, will it 'mean less'? perhaps, but thats a personal opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad