Question about the 3rd overall pick

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Does anyone think FLA will trade their pic? It's pretty much a sure bet that RNH goes first to Edm and assuming the Avs take Landeskog, what will FLA do with their pick? Larsson is the BPA but with the Panthers having Kulikov, Gudbranson, Ellerby, etc. they could trade down a couple of picks to land a much needed center imo. Couturier, Huberdeau or Strome could make more sense for the Panthers imo and I can see the Devils, Isles, Jackets, and even the Bruins trying to trade up. A deal with the Devils or Isles could make sense for the Cats. They would still get the player they need and add some picks and/or prospects as well. The Panthers could also just pick Larsson and continue to put together a strong group of young dmen.

What are your thoughts?

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
i dont think avs take landeskog at 2

and im still not sold on RNH going #1

with so many guys (3-5 players) that could go #1 i think you have to hold on to your pick

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't see how RNH going 1st is a slam dunk. The Oilers clearly could use the impact dman like Larsson more than RNH. Honestly, if I'm the Oilers I trade out of the 1st spot and get more picks.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
We aren't gonna trade as far down as Boston/Atlanta/Columbus, because there's a risk we don't get any of them at those spots. Unless we get an absolute massive overpayment (lopsided trade) there is not a chance we aren't gonna move down more than one or maybe two spots. Most likely we'll stay at #3 and take Couturier, or maybe Huberdeau.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I don't see how RNH going 1st is a slam dunk. The Oilers clearly could use the impact dman like Larsson more than RNH. Honestly, if I'm the Oilers I trade out of the 1st spot and get more picks.

Comments from the Oilers head scout, Stu MacGregor, indicate that Nugent-Hopkins will be selected 1st overall. While the Oilers definitely need top defensemen, their depth at center is much worse than their depth at defense.

Regarding the OP, I don't see why FLA wouldn't take Couturier or Huberdeau over Larsson.

SouthFLFan79

Feb 2, 2007
If Larsson is there at number 3 you take him, he is the best player in the draft and right now florida cant draft for need we need skill possible elite players. Even with the defensive depth in next years draft he could be the best defensive player then.

Besides imagine a defense with Larsson, Kulikov, Gudbranson, Ellerby, Robak, Petrovic, Garrison, etc etc

We could be set there for a long term future with a good set of youth that could be deadly and use our cap room for some good veteran forwards :)

That said if they got offered the right pieces I could see them move down one or two spots if NJ wants Larsson that bad.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Comments from the Oilers head scout, Stu MacGregor, indicate that Nugent-Hopkins will be selected 1st overall. While the Oilers definitely need top defensemen, their depth at center is much worse than their depth at defense.

Regarding the OP, I don't see why FLA wouldn't take Couturier or Huberdeau over Larsson.

FLA could very well select Huberdeau or Courturier with the 3rd pick but I was just bringing up a scenario where they could get their guy and add an asset or two. I think the Devils and Isles are two teams that would love to have Larsson in their system and they might be willing to trade up to secure Larsson.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If Larsson is there at number 3 you take him, he is the best player in the draft and right now florida cant draft for need we need skill possible elite players. Even with the defensive depth in next years draft he could be the best defensive player then.

Besides imagine a defense with Larsson, Kulikov, Gudbranson, Ellerby, Robak, Petrovic, Garrison, etc etc

We could be set there for a long term future with a good set of youth that could be deadly and use our cap room for some good veteran forwards :)

That said if they got offered the right pieces I could see them move down one or two spots if NJ wants Larsson that bad.

I brought up this point as well. They could just take Larsson and have one of the best defense cores in the NHL in a few years time. I don't think anyone would be against the pick but imho, the Panthers could use a center. Huberdeau would be my pick for the Cats. A highly skilled playmaker with first line potential should be the Cats #1 target. The Panthers could trade down a pick or two (Devils, Islanders) and possibly pick up a 2nd rounder and still draft Huberdeau. It's just some food for thought.

Zeroknowledge*

If Larsson is still available at 3 I'm sure NJ would be interested to move up a spot.

SouthFLFan79

Feb 2, 2007
I brought up this point as well. They could just take Larsson and have one of the best defense cores in the NHL in a few years time. I don't think anyone would be against the pick but imho, the Panthers could use a center. Huberdeau would be my pick for the Cats. A highly skilled playmaker with first line potential should be the Cats #1 target. The Panthers could trade down a pick or two (Devils, Islanders) and possibly pick up a 2nd rounder and still draft Huberdeau. It's just some food for thought.

yep a pick or two and swipe a 2nd next year or something would be fine. And i agree our biggest need is an elite potential game scoring forward, but we still arent in a position to take need we just need the best talent possible. I would be very happy with Huberdeau in this draft :)

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
IMO the only way they trade down is if the player they like ex(Strome or Huberdeau) will be there a couple spots down and there is a team willing to give up a decent amount to move up. Or they trade it for a proven 1st line player, who is under 30.

I say they stay put and go after Courturier. We need more physical players, especially forwards. And if he can be a top 6 center, with a small shot at 1 liner, he is worth it.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I agree that Huberdeau will be the choice for Florida at 3. And if they were worried about that being a REACH with Larsson still on the board...it's NOT that much of a reach. Take the guy you like best, whether it's Huberdeau or Couturier.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
if larsson is available at 3, then the jackets are definitely trying to move up. they will probably go hard for the #2 pick (or so we all hope).

goal1228

Jun 17, 2009
if larsson is available at 3, then the jackets are definitely trying to move up. they will probably go hard for the #2 pick (or so we all hope).

isles will swap their 5th pick + for floridas 3rd pick if Larsson is still available. What the plus is i dont know

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
FLA could very well select Huberdeau or Courturier with the 3rd pick but I was just bringing up a scenario where they could get their guy and add an asset or two. I think the Devils and Isles are two teams that would love to have Larsson in their system and they might be willing to trade up to secure Larsson.

As has been said, I only see the Panthers trading down to NJ or the Isles if they do. They won't trade down any further because it's likely none of Couturier, Huberdeau, or Landeskog will be left. I can't see Tallon walking away from the draft without one of those guys.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site

I don't see the point in trading out of the 1st spot if I'm the Oilers. They definitely need a No.1 Centre... sure they need Defensman too, and I actually like the idea of a Defenseman, but how hard is it to find No.1 Centre's? So they should take RNH

Robin Lehner*

hopefully ottawa because then they can get landeskog an then FLA can get huberdeau or couturier.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I don't see the Avs passing on Larsson. Niedermayer-Stevens. Niedermayer-Pronger. These duos brang Stanley Cups. A duo Johnson-Larsson would be a great thing to the organization IMO.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I think Florida ends up with Landeskog.. RNH to Edm. Larsson to the Avs. Just think Landy is the most complete player in this years draft. But whoever they like best out of Landy, Huberdeau, and Couturier will be a panther. Simply put. Would not be the least bit surprised if they took Strome either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad