Question About Signing Over the Salary Cap

EightyEightMPH

Jul 6, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm looking at the Sabres right now, and I would like to see them lock up Enroth and Gragnani, but they are dangerously close to the cap limit right now.

HOWEVER, if would be my best guess that Kotalik and Morissonn start the year in Rochester, essentially freeing up about 5 million dollars in cap space. There's no chance of Kotalik getting traded because he has a NTC and Morissonn won't get picked up because he is useless, so they are essentially stuck with them.

SO, are the Sabres allowed to sign Enroth and Gragnani to contracts over the cap limit as long as Kotalik and Morissonn start the year in the AHL?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
You are allowed to be over the cap by a certain percentage (5-10% I believe) throughout the offseason
But have to be under the cap just before the season starts

RandR

May 15, 2011
You are allowed to be over the cap by a certain percentage (5-10% I believe) throughout the offseason
But have to be under the cap just before the season starts
Can you exceed the cap by >10% for a minimal period, such as a couple of days? For example, could someone offer Stamkos an offer sheet and have it accepted, presumably putting them more than 10% over the cap, and then within a couple of hours or days after that acceptance make room (trade/buyout/demote/whatever) to get back under the cap.? Or do you have to make room for a Stamkos offer sheet before you put it out officially?

Related to this, can you put out an offer sheet and while waiting to see if it will be matched (I am assuming Tampa will have at least a few days to decide if they want to match it), make arrangements to make the necessary cap space?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Can you exceed the cap by >10% for a minimal period, such as a couple of days? For example, could someone offer Stamkos an offer sheet and have it accepted, presumably putting them more than 10% over the cap, and then within a couple of hours or days after that acceptance make room (trade/buyout/demote/whatever) to get back under the cap.? Or do you have to make room for a Stamkos offer sheet before you put it out officially?

Related to this, can you put out an offer sheet and while waiting to see if it will be matched (I am assuming Tampa will have at least a few days to decide if they want to match it), make arrangements to make the necessary cap space?

Teams must have the cap space available before tendering an offer sheet. Offer sheets are immediately counted against a team's Averaged Club Salary as soon as they are signed and registered with the NHL.

If a team/player agreed to an offer sheet for which the team did not have cap space then the NHL would reject it as invalid.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
From July 1 thru the last day of training camp, all players on one-way SPCs count against the cap, but teams may exceed the Upper Limit by 10%.

Starting the day after the end of training camp, players in the AHL no longer count against the cap, the LTIR exemption may start being used, and the 10% cushion goes away.

So, Yes, the Sabres are OK. For now Kotalik and Morissonn are covered by the 10% cushion, and the Sabres may waive them during camp and send them down to Rochester - they will drop off the cap then at the same time the 10% buffer goes away.

Last edited:

RandR

May 15, 2011
Teams must have the cap space available before tendering an offer sheet. Offer sheets are immediately counted against a team's Averaged Club Salary as soon as they are signed and registered with the NHL.

If a team/player agreed to an offer sheet for which the team did not have cap space then the NHL would reject it as invalid.
Thank you for the answer. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad