question about replacing stick blades...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hank_scorpio

Jun 24, 2005
Cypress Creek
i've always used wood sticks and recently picked up a stick that has replaceable blades. can anyone help me out with some info on how i can change the blades?

i need to know what to use to heat up the bottom of the shaft? blowtorch?
also, do i need glue to fasten the new blade in place?
after heating up the shaft to remove the old blade, and replcaing that with a new blade, how do i firm up the shaft around the new blade so it's a tight fit? plyers?

i know this is pretty rudimentary, but i've never done this, so any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
hank_scorpio said:
i've always used wood sticks and recently picked up a stick that has replaceable blades. can anyone help me out with some info on how i can change the blades?

i need to know what to use to heat up the bottom of the shaft? blowtorch?
also, do i need glue to fasten the new blade in place?
after heating up the shaft to remove the old blade, and replcaing that with a new blade, how do i firm up the shaft around the new blade so it's a tight fit? plyers?

i know this is pretty rudimentary, but i've never done this, so any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

to remove the old blade, you got to heat it with a kind of hair dryer but those you use in a garage (sorry for the poor english), a kind of heat pistol (i don't know in english) and then you take off the old blade and put the new one in wich it's supposed to have some glue on it to heat it a lil' bit and it'll be fine. wait a lil' bit before going on the ice with, wait to stick to be colder or your stick might broke with the drastic temperature change.

here's the kind of pistol to use, a picture is better than my descriptions :D

http://www.wurth.fr/albums/mpa_vehicule_fige/pictures/p1074248231.gif :D

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
medmed said:
to remove the old blade, you got to heat it with a kind of hair dryer but those you use in a garage (sorry for the poor english), a kind of heat pistol (i don't know in english) and then you take off the old blade and put the new one in wich it's supposed to have some glue on it to heat it a lil' bit and it'll be fine. wait a lil' bit before going on the ice with, wait to stick to be colder or your stick might broke with the drastic temperature change.

That'd be a heat gun. the rest is explain in the post above. Once you put the new blade in with some glue (you can buy separate glue sticks if you need them) wait a day before using the stick. Should be fine. Although be warned, dont do what some of my teammates do, which is to use the heat gun for about 5 minutes on the shaft and then grab the end they have just heated in order to pull the blade out. It seldom works without severe pain. :shakehead

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Qui Gon Dave said:
Although be warned, dont do what some of my teammates do, which is to use the heat gun for about 5 minutes on the shaft and then grab the end they have just heated in order to pull the blade out. It seldom works without severe pain. :shakehead
LMAO, I always wince when I see people doing that. Common sense people, common sense.

When using a heat source (heat gun, blow torch, etc) with a shaft, make sure to keep the heat source moving. Do not simply focus all the heat on one point for too long. Simply keep the heat moving up and down the shaft in a slow and steady rhythm (no pun intended).

The blade should simply slide out when the glue loosens. Don't use any pliers, hammers, etc to pull the blade out or put it in. Pull the blade straight out, the shape of the shaft should not change at all.

Lastly, if the blade is still loose or wiggles in a particular direction (up-down, left-right, etc) you might want to take the blade out and put a piece of tape (cloth stick blade tape) over the hosel to make a snug fit (ie: if the blade wiggles left-right, you would put the tape over the hosel left to right). If you do this you will need to purchase a glue stick and reapply glue over the tape.

I know it might sound complicated, but it is really a simple process. Once you do it, you'll get the hang of it.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
SLake said:
LMAO, I always wince when I see people doing that. Common sense people, common sense.

When using a heat source (heat gun, blow torch, etc) with a shaft, make sure to keep the heat source moving. Do not simply focus all the heat on one point for too long. Simply keep the heat moving up and down the shaft in a slow and steady rhythm (no pun intended).

The blade should simply slide out when the glue loosens. Don't use any pliers, hammers, etc to pull the blade out or put it in. Pull the blade straight out, the shape of the shaft should not change at all.

Lastly, if the blade is still loose or wiggles in a particular direction (up-down, left-right, etc) you might want to take the blade out and put a piece of tape (cloth stick blade tape) over the hosel to make a snug fit (ie: if the blade wiggles left-right, you would put the tape over the hosel left to right). If you do this you will need to purchase a glue stick and reapply glue over the tape.

I know it might sound complicated, but it is really a simple process. Once you do it, you'll get the hang of it.

That's right on the money...If a vice is near you could put the shaft in a vice. Be careful, put cardboard around the piece of the shaft that's directly in the vice...I've seen composites partially crushed in them. Just snug it. :)

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
It seems obvious but ive heard of people being this dumb, but when using a heat gun, use it outside, or in a garage - not indoors close to carpets or curtains or aerosol cans or anything that will react violently to heat.

Im sure you wouldn't be that dumb though, youve managed to get online and post on a forum so i'd imagine thats qualification enough. And the advice about using a vice above is good, if you dont have cardboard then you can use some old bits of wood if needs be.

KariyaIsGod*

I would avoid using a blowtorch unless it's an older model stick. A lot of the new ones will tell you with a sticker that a blowtorch can damage them.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
i also use a stove.

don't put stick in the flame. just put it about 3 to 6 inches above the tip of the flame would do.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
A regular hair dryer also works in an emergency, though it will take a lot longer than a heat gun to warm the shaft up. Put the dryer on the hottest setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->