OT: Question about Pierre Turgeon

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
OK as we all know the Cardinals are in Los Angeles and playing Albert Pujols for the first time. I guess I am in the very minute minority in that I still root for Pujols to do well. I would prefer to see the Cards win a game while Pujols contributes for the Angels, etc.

When people get mad at me for that, I compare it to Pierre Turgeon leaving the Blues (Turgeon was my all time favorite player). I would root for the Blues to win against Dallas, but I was hoping Turgeon would still play well.

I wasn't surprised when Albert left, but my question is how big a surprise was it when Turgeon left here? I was only 9 years old and the business side of hockey was so far over my head back then and the only thing I knew was my heart was broken because my favorite player was gone.

Was it a forgone conclusion that #77 wasn't coming back? Or it was a big surprise?

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
OK as we all know the Cardinals are in Los Angeles and playing Albert Pujols for the first time. I guess I am in the very minute minority in that I still root for Pujols to do well. I would prefer to see the Cards win a game while Pujols contributes for the Angels, etc.

When people get mad at me for that, I compare it to Pierre Turgeon leaving the Blues (Turgeon was my all time favorite player). I would root for the Blues to win against Dallas, but I was hoping Turgeon would still play well.

I wasn't surprised when Albert left, but my question is how big a surprise was it when Turgeon left here? I was only 9 years old and the business side of hockey was so far over my head back then and the only thing I knew was my heart was broken because my favorite player was gone.

Was it a forgone conclusion that #77 wasn't coming back? Or it was a big surprise?

It's been a long time so I will just tell you what I remember.

We traded for Weight thus leading to them not resigning Turgeon.

I at the time of the trade was hoping we would be running Weight and Turgeon. If I remember correctly ownership didn't even offer Turgeon a contract. Turgeon wanted to stay in St Louis but management did not want him to return after getting Weight in the trade.

I personally was really disappointed we did not bring Turgeon back.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I'm old enough to remember and I realize this opinion won't be popular with all here, but it was believed for all his talent he didn't play with a lot of heart in big games. He did show flashes but he just wasn't very consistent.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I'm old enough to remember and I realize this opinion won't be popular with all here, but it was believed for all his talent he didn't play with a lot of heart in big games. He did show flashes but he just wasn't very consistent.

Turgeon played with a lot of heart in the playoffs for us. He was our most consistent forward on the team. He turned Scott Young into a 40 goal scorer.

The lack of heart bs was because he didn't leave the bench during the brawl for team Canada that false label followed him his career.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Sorry I don't agree, did have some good games and he also disappeared in some, I'll trust what you think are my lying eyes.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I think the Turgeon as "Tin Man" crap was way overblown because fans needed a scapegoat. It was repeated enough that it became true for a lot of people. But I don't think that was why he was allowed to leave. I recall the Blues just wanting to spend their money elsewhere and yea, it wasn't a surprise that they let him go. When he didn't continue being a point-per-game player for Dallas, almost everyone felt like Blues management made a smart move.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Pierre Turgeon was an excellent player. Outside of Pavel Demitra and Scott Young, he really had no one to pass to. He basically created something out of nothing, which meant Pronger and MacInnis were his best options to pass to. I liked Pierre and didn't want to see him go. If you look at Doug Weight, then you can see it isn't like he did much more than Pierre. He had a legitimate scorer in Tkachuk to pass to as well. Pierre is slighted in my opinion. Put him in his prime on this team, and he's a 100+ point guy. We would have our #1 center and playmaker. He was one slick passer.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Pierre Turgeon was an excellent player. Outside of Pavel Demitra and Scott Young, he really had no one to pass to. He basically created something out of nothing, which meant Pronger and MacInnis were his best options to pass to. I liked Pierre and didn't want to see him go. If you look at Doug Weight, then you can see it isn't like he did much more than Pierre. He had a legitimate scorer in Tkachuk to pass to as well. Pierre is slighted in my opinion. Put him in his prime on this team, and he's a 100+ point guy. We would have our #1 center and playmaker. He was one slick passer.

I really think he is one of the best centers we have had in franchise History. I have him behind Oates for centers I actually watched play for the Blues.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Oh definitely. No doubt that Bernie Federko was the best. Remember his first game. Garry Unger has to be up there as well. Best center tandem in Blues history. Federko, Dunlop, Zuke, and Patey

He is in my top 3 centers in Blues history definitely. If Oates wasn't such a butthead, then he probably would be in my top 3. Turgeon could create on his own though. Something both Federko and Unger could do.

Twister18

Oh definitely. No doubt that Bernie Federko was the best. Remember his first game. Garry Unger has to be up there as well. Best center tandem in Blues history. Federko, Dunlop, Zuke, and Patey

He is in my top 3 centers in Blues history definitely. If Oates wasn't such a butthead, then he probably would be in my top 3. Turgeon could create on his own though. Something both Federko and Unger could do.

Wasn't Brian Sutter a C?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Pierre didn't hold press conferences stating "It's not about the money." and leave for the money. Simple as that and he was one of my favorite Blues going up. If we had prime Turgeon right now, we would win a cup.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Federko made everyone a 20 goal scorer. Sutter the perpetual 3rd line scrappy player. a perennial 30-40 goal scorer. We was just a wizard with the puck. Bernie too would make this team a cup winner.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
They traded for Weight and chose not to sign Turgeon, which seemed idiotic until he immediately fell off the cliff after heading to Dallas. That said, I loved Turgeon. The dude scored an OT Game 7 series winning goal against Phoenix in a scoreless sudden death game. One of my favorite all time Blues memories. The guy was quality with us. He more than did his fair share of the lifting toward winning the Cup when he was here. It was other guys who didn't carry the Blues. Pierre was fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad