Question about NHL-less Olympics

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
Omark didn't even play in the KHL last season, weird how someone from an amateur league is performing so well.

Jokerit have hardly any players that were in the K last season, yet they're tied at 2nd place in the league.

When did i say that they had all KHLers? He said their team was the same as last year, when its pretty obvious that most of their impact talent is new.
And where exactly are you even going with argument?

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
2 of their top 3 scorers, Omark and Koukal are new. As are 3 of the top 4

Don't forget to point out that there are only 6 players out of 40 that aren't Finnish in the roster or doesn't that fit in your narrative. Wonder how those Finnish scrubs can handle themselves in the mighty KHL that they are not worthy of? :sarcasm:

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
Don't forget to point out that there are only 6 players out of 40 that aren't Finnish in the roster or doesn't that fit in your narrative. Wonder how those Finnish scrubs can handle themselves in the mighty KHL that they are not worthy of? :sarcasm:

Yeah especially when their top 4 scorers are from USA, Sweden, Czech, and USA again.

My head is about to fall off from all the shaking it I've been doing

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Yeah especially when their top 4 scorers are from USA, Sweden, Czech, and USA again.

Maybe their best Finnish player moved to North America :sarcasm:
But anyways the point was that the difference between leagues isn't that big. I'm not suggesting every team from the other major European leagues would be top3 in KHL but they would be able to compete just fine for the most part.

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
Maybe their best Finnish player moved to North America :sarcasm:
But anyways the point was that the difference between leagues isn't that big. I'm not suggesting every team from the other major European leagues would be top3 in KHL but they would be able to compete just fine for the most part.

Wow so now he can't compete in the olympics either? how selfish of teuvo:sarcasm:
Any team from any league could move into the KHL and compete. You know why? they would get an influx of new talent because the KHL is widely regarded, and rightfully so, as the 2nd best league in the world

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Wow so now he can't compete in the olympics either? how selfish of teuvo:sarcasm:
Any team from any league could move into the KHL and compete. You know why? they would get an influx of new talent because the KHL is widely regarded, and rightfully so, as the 2nd best league in the world

If you can't read i can't help you. No one really argued KHL isn't the second best league in the world. It was just said that quite a few teams from the other Euro leagues could handle themselves just fine in KHL.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
When did i say that they had all KHLers? He said their team was the same as last year, when its pretty obvious that most of their impact talent is new.
And where exactly are you even going with argument?

You have argued that the other European leagues are amateurish in comparison to the KHL, yet the squad of Jokerit primarily consists of players from Liiga and SHL.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Seriously, guys, this such an overrated tournament. I always can't wait for the 2 weeks to go by so that I can resume watching the NHL. I ain't waking up at 2 am, or whatever, in 2018 and watch this overrated spectacle. I'd rather have the NHL 10 out of 10 times. I hope the NHL indeed does not go.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
If the NHL doesn't allow their players to play in the Olympics, they should just take the sport out of the Olympics. No one gave a **** before the NHL allowed guys and no one will give a **** this time. The Olympics are about the best people in their sport, if we can't send them why bother? Who wants to watch some washed up guys who can't crack an NHL line up representing your country?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The Olympics are a corrupt organization that only cares about money under the guise of being a caring and great sports organization like the NCAA. And like the NCAA both could go take a walk with how smug yet money grubbing they are.

That might be true, but then the NHL is really up there with them too. So...

If we want a discussion about true and fair sports we might realize the world is a mess.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
If the NHL doesn't allow their players to play in the Olympics, they should just take the sport out of the Olympics. No one gave a **** before the NHL allowed guys and no one will give a **** this time. The Olympics are about the best people in their sport, if we can't send them why bother? Who wants to watch some washed up guys who can't crack an NHL line up representing your country?

Who will watch the Olympics without the NHL players?
Most likely people who aren't ignorant and know that there are quality leagues and players in other places of the world also. And people who enjoy hockey generally.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
It takes two to tango. If the IOC would actually give the NHL anything in return for the Olympics there wouldn't even be a discussion about them going. But when the stars go there and then the NHL can't even use any footage of the stars of their league playing it kind of sits wrong.

why do the nhl even need stuff from the ioc? if "not using footage" is the only thing it's rather childish. they want a big fat pay check. imagine if every other sport had this kind of mentality :shakehead there wouldn't be any olympics

Seriously, guys, this such an overrated tournament. I always can't wait for the 2 weeks to go by so that I can resume watching the NHL. I ain't waking up at 2 am, or whatever, in 2018 and watch this overrated spectacle. I'd rather have the NHL 10 out of 10 times. I hope the NHL indeed does not go.

HA! try beeing an nhl fan living in europe. you'd have to wake up at 2 am for 2 weeks we have to do it from oct ---> june :laugh:

TrustyPatches*

People care too much. I'd rather see Taveres/Filppula type players playing nhl hockey and not getting hurt.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
Who will watch the Olympics without the NHL players?
Most likely people who aren't ignorant and know that there are quality leagues and players in other places of the world also. And people who enjoy hockey generally.

Tell yourself what you want. The ratings will be in the garbage, along with the hockey.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Never once said that. Some of the best players in the world are from Europe/Russia. That being said 95% of them play in the NHL.

lol yes you sort of are. just cuz north amaricans don't wanna watch the olympic hockey games cuz they can and they'd rather watch nhl games doesn't mean the whole world, who don't really has an option to go and watch nhl, will stop watching the olympic hockey.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

Yeah, no American cared about the Olympics when the US beat the Soviets in 1980 :speechles

The Olympic hockey tournament has always been big in Europe as well, even before the NHL participation.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
lol yes you sort of are. just cuz north amaricans don't wanna watch the olympic hockey games cuz they can and they'd rather watch nhl games doesn't mean the whole world, who don't really has an option to go and watch nhl, will stop watching the olympic hockey.

Most North American hockey fans DO want the NHL to participate in the OG, there's just this marginal group of NHL fanboys.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Olympics are still Olympics even without NHL participation I suspect viewership in Europe and other parts of the world will be about the same, it may only dip somewhat here in North America

quality NHL hockey makes us a spoiled bunch, plus since most of us don't follow closely European leagues including the KHL we don't even know who the heck those players are (for most part)

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010

My point is the NHL has the best players in the world. No one can dispute that unless they just wanna argue for the sake of arguing. The Olympics are about countries showcasing THEIR BEST ATHLETES. If most countries can't have their best athletes compete, it's pointless. Not sure why this is turning into some kind of Europe vs North America pissing contest.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
Most North American hockey fans DO want the NHL to participate in the OG, there's just this marginal group of NHL fanboys.

Of course MOST NA hockey fans want NHL participation in the Olympics. Why wouldn't they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->