Question about NHL-less Olympics

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
If NHLers are no longer permitted to compete in the Olympic games, are former NHLers playing in european league, like Kovalchuk and Radulov, still allowed to compete? And if they are, surely that is a huuuuuge advantage to Russia. If teams like Canada, USA, Sweden and Finland are going to be icing amateurs, Kovy and Radulov are going to tear them apart. Thoughts?

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Russians never had any qualms about sending their pro-league allstar team to play amateurs. See: 1960-1980.

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
The Russians never had any qualms about sending their pro-league allstar team to play amateurs. See: 1960-1980.

I'm not saying that they would be upset about doing it, easier golds for them, but surely other hockey power houses don't want to send their teams out like sacrificial lambs to a Russian slaughter?

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not saying that they would be upset about doing it, easier golds for them, but surely other hockey power houses don't want to send their teams out like sacrificial lambs to a Russian slaughter?

They did it for many years, and got their heads handed to them right up until 1980.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Does the NHL really want that to happen again? Seems kind of...anti climactic
As long as no money is to be made, the NHL doesn't care.

On the other hand, Hockey Canada will. It's going to be interesting to see who their choice is to go instead.

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
As long as no money is to be made, the NHL doesn't care.

On the other hand, Hockey Canada will. It's going to be interesting to see who their choice is to go instead.

Interesting sure, but there's really only so many options that they have. And I can't see any of them ending good for you unless your last name ends in ov

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Congrats Bettman, you've ruined two hockey tournaments :laugh::banghead:

It takes two to tango. If the IOC would actually give the NHL anything in return for the Olympics there wouldn't even be a discussion about them going. But when the stars go there and then the NHL can't even use any footage of the stars of their league playing it kind of sits wrong.

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
It takes two to tango. If the IOC would actually give the NHL anything in return for the Olympics there wouldn't even be a discussion about them going. But when the stars go there and then the NHL can't even use any footage of the stars of their league playing it kind of sits wrong.

So they have two options, either suck it up and enjoy a great hockey spectacle, or have one country dominate the biggest international hockey tournament in the world for years to come? Easy choice to me, but ehhhh.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
More interesting question is what happens if someone from NHL wants to go. Like Ovechkin for example. Doubt he misses it especially since Russia's chances would be pretty high.

Does the team just suspend him without pay for the duration of the games?

Morten

May 24, 2014
More interesting question is what happens if someone from NHL wants to go. Like Ovechkin for example. Doubt he misses it especially since Russia's chances would be pretty high.

pretty sure his NHL contract wouldn't allow him to go even if he wanted

BobCole

May 21, 2014

Even if the do that, what happens if he gets hurt? Presumably each player would have to buy his own insurance policy, but even in that case I see potential for problems.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Try they could void the contract. The player would be in breach of contract. Now if any team would do so is another question all together. And if they did how would the league react if they tried to sign with another team.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So they have two options, either suck it up and enjoy a great hockey spectacle, or have one country dominate the biggest international hockey tournament in the world for years to come? Easy choice to me, but ehhhh.

The NHL is a business. I would bet most of the top guys running the NHL aren't even fans of the sport. They don't care. They want to make as much as possible, and the Olympics are using their resources and not sharing the profit.

With that that, I will be ****ing pissed if the NHL chooses not to go. It's the greatest hockey in the world.

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
Try they could void the contract. The player would be in breach of contract. Now if any team would do so is another question all together. And if they did how would the league react if they tried to sign with another team.

Found an easy way to get off a team you don't want to play for I guess

Jaan

May 10, 2013
Why wouldn't they be allowed to participate? If NHL wants to drop oup because they feel they aren't getting anything worthwhile in return, then fine, they can sulk in their corner and hurt the development of the game in the progress. But that shouldn't (will not) affect players coming in from other leagues.

Ralphy*

Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but I really doubt the NHL doesn't go to the next Olympics.

That being said, I won't even bother watching if they decide not to go.

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
Why wouldn't they be allowed to participate? If NHL wants to drop oup because they feel they aren't getting anything worthwhile in return, then fine, you can sulk in your corner and hurt the development of the game. But that shouldn't (will not) affect players coming in from other leagues.

I'm not suggesting that KHLers shouldn't be allowed to compete, I'm just asking if anyone else is a little curious as to why the NHL, mostly run by Americans and Canadians, are so ready to roll over and let Russia dominate the Olympic stage like they did back when they were the Soviet Union

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Last year the owner of the Capitals supported Ovechkin saying he would personally fly him over.

When you have a player that puts ***** in seats and sells in the top 10 for jerseys you let that star do what he wants

Jaan

May 10, 2013
I'm not suggesting that KHLers shouldn't be allowed to compete, I'm just asking if anyone else is a little curious as to why the NHL, mostly run by Americans and Canadians, are so ready to roll over and let Russia dominate the Olympic stage like they did back when they were the Soviet Union

Oh, I must have misread your original argument. Buy as others have already said in this thread: it's all about the $$$. It's a business and the people who run the league and invest money in it, don't like the possibility of their employees getting hurt playing "meaningless" international games :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->