Question about helmet and mask rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

When exactly did the NHL put in the rule forcing players to wear helmets? Just looking at old videos, I figure it had to be in the mid/late 70s

Have they put any other rules about what kinds of helmets they have to wear(because the kind Gretzky and the rest of that generation don't look anything like the modern ones)

Also, when did goalies stop wearing the old Jason style masks and go to the modern big shell ones? Is there any set rule about having to wear masks like the current kind or Hasek style cages? I know they're not technically as safe, since they don't cover the ears or anything, but they looked so much cooler

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
acr said:
When exactly did the NHL put in the rule forcing players to wear helmets? Just looking at old videos, I figure it had to be in the mid/late 70s

Have they put any other rules about what kinds of helmets they have to wear(because the kind Gretzky and the rest of that generation don't look anything like the modern ones)

Also, when did goalies stop wearing the old Jason style masks and go to the modern big shell ones? Is there any set rule about having to wear masks like the current kind or Hasek style cages? I know they're not technically as safe, since they don't cover the ears or anything, but they looked so much cooler

I think it might have been 79/80. They grandfathered guys in the league at the time, which is how you saw Craig MacTavish play until the mid 90's with his fro flying free in the air.. A few years ago, the league was going to let players opt out of the helmets if they so chose, thinking it would help fans identify with them. Luckily, no one was dumb enough to take off his lid.

acr*

I understand the safety reasons behind the rules and all, but you have to admit that everyone looked so much cooler before

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
acr said:
I understand the safety reasons behind the rules and all, but you have to admit that everyone looked so much cooler before

Yeah, it is kind of easy to understand how the fans related better to the players when they could see em. Now I couldn't pick out many NHLers on the street...

Oh well, I guess their ability to talk & tie their own shoes comes ahead of what we think looks good. ;)

acr*

I'm really wondering if a goalie would still be allowed to wear one fo the old masks
They look lighter and easier to see out of, and if they're padded enough, they could be better

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
acr said:
I'm really wondering if a goalie would still be allowed to wear one fo the old masks
They look lighter and easier to see out of, and if they're padded enough, they could be better

I was watching the Leafs-Islanders classic game a few weeks back and was wondering the same thing, when I saw Palmateer's mask. I don't think it's easier to see out of though, because you only have two holes that contour around the eye. I remember playing street hockey with one of those masks, and I didn't have good peripheral vision. It would be cool having Martin Brodeur or someone come out with one of those masks. :lol

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
acr said:

They are horrible... the old masks are absolutely brutal.

Not only that, they heat up like crazy... the new ones have much better airflow. In terms of weight... maybe... but vision, protection and airflow are much better in teh new masks.

mikeliut1

Jan 27, 2004
acr said:

The last goalie I remember to wear the old school masks was Sam St. Laurent for Detroit. I think that was in '89

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad