Question about gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My gloves had been literally falling apart and I was looking at getting new ones, but didn't have the funds. Today I was buying stick tape and saw the gloves were on sale so I took a look. I still couldn't really afford any of them, when I saw a pair for $50 Canadian.

I have a problem finding gloves that feel comfortable on me and these fit me perfectly. They are Vic HG850 and I have no idea if they are any good or not. They were marked down from around $100 Canadian, and I was able to get them for $40 because I buy so much stuff from there and the people know me.

Good buy or waste of money?

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I bought a pair of Vic gloves for cheap ($48). I forget what model they were but they broke in easy and were very comfortable. The thumbs wore through in what seemed like two days and after only 80 games or so, the fingers were done (the palm has detached). Still nice gloves for the price though.

Last edited:

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
I've got missions (the double finger model). I've had them for 4 years now (the 4th being this year) played about 125 games with em not considering practices. They are still in great condition, not a single hole in the palm and the glove is damn nice. I wanted to get rid of them because I had a chance to buy Brand new Sher-wood Eclipse gloves for 20$ but my mission are in such a good shape still thatI couldn't just throw them away. I think i'm getting tired of the same old gloves more then the gloves being used.

IkeaMonkey*

jacklours said:
I've got missions (the double finger model). I've had them for 4 years now (the 4th being this year) played about 125 games with em not considering practices. They are still in great condition, not a single hole in the palm and the glove is damn nice. I wanted to get rid of them because I had a chance to buy Brand new Sher-wood Eclipse gloves for 20$ but my mission are in such a good shape still thatI couldn't just throw them away. I think i'm getting tired of the same old gloves more then the gloves being used.

Whoa, pick up those eclipse gloves for $20 man, you can never have too many pairs of gloves...especially for a $120 glove for $100 off...

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
waffledave said:
My gloves had been literally falling apart and I was looking at getting new ones, but didn't have the funds. Today I was buying stick tape and saw the gloves were on sale so I took a look. I still couldn't really afford any of them, when I saw a pair for $50 Canadian.

I have a problem finding gloves that feel comfortable on me and these fit me perfectly. They are Vic HG850 and I have no idea if they are any good or not. They were marked down from around $100 Canadian, and I was able to get them for $40 because I buy so much stuff from there and the people know me.

Good buy or waste of money?

If they fit you, are comfortable, and provide decent protection, then you should definitely go for them.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I bought a pair of CCMs about 4 months ago that I just can't break in. While they feel comfortable on my hand, they are grossly stiff and uncomfortable when stickhandling. The palm is fine but the padding on the back of the hand, wrist and fingers is just to stiff for me. Please let me know any tips that any of you might have for breaking in new gloves.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
#66 said:
I bought a pair of CCMs about 4 months ago that I just can't break in. While they feel comfortable on my hand, they are grossly stiff and uncomfortable when stickhandling. The palm is fine but the padding on the back of the hand, wrist and fingers is just to stiff for me. Please let me know any tips that any of you might have for breaking in new gloves.

If you've had them for 4 months and they're still extremely stiff and not broken in, it sounds like the padding probably has plastic inserts.

Just take the gloves and bend the fingers back and bend them in every direction, also bend the backrolls on the gloves in all directions, press into them hard, and just really work the gloves in, fold them in half sideways, bend the glove back in half, sqeueeze the padding as hard as you can, etc. Don't be worried about ruining your gloves while doing this.

This should really help soften them up and expedite the break-in process. Also, many gloves on the market are heat moldable just like some skates are, you should definitely call CCM and find out if the particular glove you own are heat moldable and if so, that would be a good option considering it's been 4 months and they're still not broken in and still very stiff.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Accord said:
If you've had them for 4 months and they're still extremely stiff and not broken in, it sounds like the padding probably has plastic inserts.

Just take the gloves and bend the fingers back and bend them in every direction, also bend the backrolls on the gloves in all directions, press into them hard, and just really work the gloves in, fold them in half sideways, bend the glove back in half, sqeueeze the padding as hard as you can, etc. Don't be worried about ruining your gloves while doing this.

This should really help soften them up and expedite the break-in process. Also, many gloves on the market are heat moldable just like some skates are, you should definitely call CCM and find out if the particular glove you own are heat moldable and if so, that would be a good option considering it's been 4 months and they're still not broken in and still very stiff.
Thanks for the info. I've been playing for a long time and I've never had a problem like this. I will admit that I get frustrated with them and haven't used them that much over the 4 months. I've been going back to my old gloves with the holy palms. Maybe they just need some more wear but the comfort level is so low.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
DynamoAO said:
Whoa, pick up those eclipse gloves for $20 man, you can never have too many pairs of gloves...especially for a $120 glove for $100 off...

Yeah I get deals like that every so often. Usually pairs have little default (sometimes big) in em though. But that one pair was perfect except the little peice of fabric on the thumb, that is use to hook it in stores, anyways, that little thing was ripped. So the glove was perfect, still brand new. With a price on them REG: 199.99 and Special : 169.99 . SO I ad no problem selling them 80$

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
I've had a pair of Jofa gloves (whatever their top line is) and have used them for almost five years. Not only are they the most comfortable gloves I've ever had, but I've used them 1-2 times per week over that 5 year period, and they have barely worn, even after being left in my bag without being dried - if you can scrape together the cash, I HIGHLY recommend buying a nice pair of Jofas

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I have a pair of Mission M-2's that still look practically new after about 15 months of use. The older models are marked down to about $40 nowadays.

McBold

Jan 22, 2005
I have a pair of Bauer Supreme 5000's, I think they are 2 or 3 years old now but have held up well except for the bauer writing in rubber letters fell off on both gloves so it's just a little white 'plaque'.

IkeaMonkey*

predhead1 said:
I've had a pair of Jofa gloves (whatever their top line is) and have used them for almost five years. Not only are they the most comfortable gloves I've ever had, but I've used them 1-2 times per week over that 5 year period, and they have barely worn, even after being left in my bag without being dried - if you can scrape together the cash, I HIGHLY recommend buying a nice pair of Jofas

Or Reeboks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->