Question about football 'per week' salary quoting

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
Since I'm a native English speak (or at least American speaker ;)) I get a lot of my footie news from UK sources. I've always been confused by salaries that are quoted in 'GBP per week' numbers.

What does that number mean per year, is it just multiplied by 52 or does it depend upon how many weeks your team has matches?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
It's their annual salary(bonuses not included) divided by 52 weeks. Why Europe prefers to quote weekly figures over yearly I don't understand but once you figure out how they break the numbers apart it's easy to convert it to what you know

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I assume it's to make the numbers more relatable while taking under consideration the fact that football schedules are very week-based.

I'm in the Czech Republic and here normal people speak of salaries at a monthly rate, which is much easier to gauge against expenses, which tend to be monthly. Annual salary figures are actually exceptionally abstract.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I assume it's to make the numbers more relatable while taking under consideration the fact that football schedules are very week-based.

I'm in the Czech Republic and here normal people speak of salaries at a monthly rate, which is much easier to gauge against expenses, which tend to be monthly. Annual salary figures are actually exceptionally abstract.
It's the same everywhere except in GB.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It's their annual salary(bonuses not included) divided by 52 weeks. Why Europe prefers to quote weekly figures over yearly I don't understand but once you figure out how they break the numbers apart it's easy to convert it to what you know

Europe prefers monthly figures. It's just in some sports that weekly salaries are prominent.

jniklast

Sep 28, 2007
I think it was/is common in GB to get a weekly paycheck (literally), hence why salaries (including those of athletes) is still mostly stated as a weekly figure. It's different in the rest of Europe, where the average Joe salary is usually stated in monthly figures, while big salaries are mostly stated as yearly sums.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->