Question about face shields

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Today I bought a new face shield for my helmet. This one is a clear one as opposed to the old cage style that I normally use. The reason I bought a new shield is because I am thinking that it will help me see better on the ice because I sort of have trouble with my vision with the traditional cage style shield. Does anyone else notice a difference between the two styles? are clear shields easier to see out of? what are your experiences?

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
There are pros and cons to each. If you can keep the fogging down clear shields are pretty nice. I have an Itech shield that has wire cage at the bottom with replacable half shield. All in all it's pretty nice. The down side to it is two fold. First, I wear presription sports goggles under my helmet so the combinatoin of the goggles and the shield is a recipe for major fog. Second, you need to replace the clear shield periodically due to scratching. Once it gets a few scratches on it it becomes hard to see through.

Bauer and a few other cage manuafacturers have created low gloss silver cages to make it easier to see through. I haven't tried one personally so I can't vouch for them but both my daugters have them. I have held it up to my face before and I do think it would be easier to see out of than my full black wire cage.

South Florida Canuck

Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
yeah the one I had before is a Bauer helmet with the black cage. The shield I just bought is an Itech. I was wondering if those were pretty good

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I love my combo...and fogging isn't an issue with me. I personally don't have j-clips on my helmet since it don't fit so my shield is farther away from my face, and I smear shampoo all over it and my glasses so keep the fogging low. Scratching isn't an issue either as I always store my helmet in a spare jersey when in my bag.

In addition to the gunmetal cages...Itech has an I2 with black outside and white inside. I've been curious and interested in trying that sometime.

South Florida Canuck

Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
I love my combo...and fogging isn't an issue with me. I personally don't have j-clips on my helmet since it don't fit so my shield is farther away from my face, and I smear shampoo all over it and my glasses so keep the fogging low. Scratching isn't an issue either as I always store my helmet in a spare jersey when in my bag.

In addition to the gunmetal cages...Itech has an I2 with black outside and white inside. I've been curious and interested in trying that sometime.

Do you notice a difference between using the clear shield as opposed to the cage? can you see better out of it?

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Essentially yes....

I'm interested in trying the I2 cage with the white color...cause normal cages, I just can't help but notice the bars in front of me! I'm wondering if the white helps at all in blending in.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Bauer and a few other cage manuafacturers have created low gloss silver cages to make it easier to see through. I haven't tried one personally so I can't vouch for them but both my daugters have them. I have held it up to my face before and I do think it would be easier to see out of than my full black wire cage.

I use the low-gloss silver cage now after previously wearing a black one. I really like it, to me it's much less noticable than the black.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I use a white FM480 cage, switching from a black FM480 and the white really blends in with the ice and boards and the visibility is a lot better, in my opinion.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
I always had planned to get a white or silver wire cage but ended up geting black. I found that the black "faded away", as opposed to white which I initially thought would blend in. But trying them on - black seemed better and I know at least some people prefer black. Silver for the looks is great, but I worried about reflection of it (into eyes), and also whether the paint would be more easily scratched off, leaving the wire metal exposed. (dunno that was a rational fear or not :) )

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I always had planned to get a white or silver wire cage but ended up geting black. I found that the black "faded away", as opposed to white which I initially thought would blend in. But trying them on - black seemed better and I know at least some people prefer black. Silver for the looks is great, but I worried about reflection of it (into eyes), and also whether the paint would be more easily scratched off, leaving the wire metal exposed. (dunno that was a rational fear or not :) )

The black never bothered me. The white blurrs against the white ice and boards background in a way that thows off my focus, though I only used it once and I haven't tried the grey.

Full face visors protect the eyes way better than half visors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad