Question about Buyouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
Quick Question; Can a team, say the Leafs buy out a players contract and then resign them for less? Say buy Sundin out and then resign him for say 3.5 or 4 mil a year instead? Or maybe even less. If you figure that his contract is now 6.8 mil/year for I don't know how many more years, say 1 since I'm not sure. You can sign him to a 3 year deal worth 3 mil/year and with the big buyout that he would get, it would be as if he was making just over 5 mil/year

Nuclear

Jun 15, 2004
PA
Couldn't they just agree to restructure his contract for just a cheaper price?

Deleted member 3032

Nuclear said:

The point of what he was saying is that Sundin would be getting the same amount of money, but that the Leafs would be paying less against their salary cap since the money Sundin gets from the buyout doesn't count against the cap. If Sundin restructured his contract for a cheaper price, he'd be getting paid less then.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nuclear said:

i am pretty sure the NHL nixed this option as well. As for buying out i think the rules are you can't sign the player for a year after you buy them out. One question i have about buyouts, is it a yearly thing or just a 1 time deal?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
boredmale said:
i am pretty sure the NHL nixed this option as well. As for buying out i think the rules are you can't sign the player for a year after you buy them out. One question i have about buyouts, is it a yearly thing or just a 1 time deal?

my guess is its a one time deal. Its a way for teams too have a chance to adapt to the new system.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
boredmale said:

You can always buy a player out, but its a one time deal when the cost of the buyout does not count against your cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad