Question about 3 Florida panthers

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks fan coming in peace. I noticed neither skille matthias or ellerby are playing in the ahl or overseas (matthias only having played 4 games) which seems bad for development since they are still young

What's going on with them? All 3 statistically haven't shown much in the NHL so I was wondering what they project as and how they are valued

CoolburnIsGone

Canucks fan coming in peace. I noticed neither skille matthias or ellerby are playing in the ahl or overseas (matthias only having played 4 games) which seems bad for development since they are still young

What's going on with them? All 3 statistically haven't shown much in the NHL so I was wondering what they project as and how they are valued
Skille and Matthias both played briefly overseas. Skille's contract was just until the Dec 31st anyway so his time in Europe was never suppose to be long. That said, he was playing decent in Norway but had to leave because a death in the family and never returned. He was practicing in the New York area at one time with Sid the Kid and others.

Matthias suffered an injury, I believe a concussion, while playing in Austria. I believe he was injured fairly quickly into his contract overseas too.

All 3 players are not eligible for the AHL because of their contract status and amount of games played professionally. Also, keep in mind that the guys that did go play over in Europe during the lockout have to pay their own insurance so that can be quite costly.

As far as projections or what is holding that back, I think all three lack in the hockey IQ department. That seems to be what has always been their problem. That is something thats hard to change too.

Skille has also been injury-prone so he's never hit his stride because of that either. That may be a product of how he plays because he's a physical player who likes to hit. Matthias played better last yr but wasnt consistent down the stretch. I think both Skille & Matthias are 4th liners for the near future.

Ellerby has more skill than both of the other guys but just hasnt put it together really. He's always been known to be a defensive d-man with good mobility so maybe he can eventually develop into a #4 d-man. But I think right now he's probably destined to be a #5-6 guy. In another org, he may get a better chance to become a #4 but dont see him being more than that honestly.

You should check out the lockout thread we had for what was going on with Skille & Matthias: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1268815

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Hmmm, just as long as this has nothing to do with Luongo. :skeptic:

Last edited:

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Skille and Matthias both played briefly overseas. Skille's contract was just until the Dec 31st anyway so his time in Europe was never suppose to be long. That said, he was playing decent in Norway but had to leave because a death in the family and never returned. He was practicing in the New York area at one time with Sid the Kid and others.

Matthias suffered an injury, I believe a concussion, while playing in Austria. I believe he was injured fairly quickly into his contract overseas too.

All 3 players are not eligible for the AHL because of their contract status and amount of games played professionally. Also, keep in mind that the guys that did go play over in Europe during the lockout have to pay their own insurance so that can be quite costly.

As far as projections or what is holding that back, I think all three lack in the hockey IQ department. That seems to be what has always been their problem. That is something thats hard to change too.

Skille has also been injury-prone so he's never hit his stride because of that either. That may be a product of how he plays because he's a physical player who likes to hit. Matthias played better last yr but wasnt consistent down the stretch. I think both Skille & Matthias are 4th liners for the near future.

Ellerby has more skill than both of the other guys but just hasnt put it together really. He's always been known to be a defensive d-man with good mobility so maybe he can eventually develop into a #4 d-man. But I think right now he's probably destined to be a #5-6 guy. In another org, he may get a better chance to become a #4 but dont see him being more than that honestly.

You should check out the lockout thread we had for what was going on with Skille & Matthias: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1268815

Thanks and I never knew they were ineligible for the ahl. Still don't completely understand why. I thought as long as they had an nhl or ahl contract signed for the year and they were 20 or older or had 4 years of juniors under their belt if under 20, that they were eligible.

Are they considered veterans where a team can ice only a certain amount of veterans in a game? Even then they would be allowed on the roster and at their ages I don't think they qualify for veteran status

Or would they have had to clear waivers and have to have been sent down by sept 15? Even then they could just sign ahl contracts as that's what Vancouver did with Steve pinizzatto. They didn't want to risk losing him on waivers so shortly after sept 15th he signed an ahl contract with our affiliate

CoolburnIsGone

Thanks and I never knew they were ineligible for the ahl. Still don't completely understand why. I thought as long as they had an nhl or ahl contract signed for the year and they were 20 or older or had 4 years of juniors under their belt if under 20, that they were eligible.

Are they considered veterans where a team can ice only a certain amount of veterans in a game? Even then they would be allowed on the roster and at their ages I don't think they qualify for veteran status

Or would they have had to clear waivers and have to have been sent down by sept 15? Even then they could just sign ahl contracts as that's what Vancouver did with Steve pinizzatto. They didn't want to risk losing him on waivers so shortly after sept 15th he signed an ahl contract with our affiliate
The 20 yr old age factor only matters in relation to an agreement between the NHL & CHL but that agreement has expired if I have read correctly. And yes, it does matter if they have either an NHL or AHL contract signed. If they have an NHL 1-way contract, that means they dont have a contract to play in the AHL. If they have a 2-way contract, then yes they can play in the AHL. All 3 players are on 1-way deals (Matthias' contract was funny in that he signed a 2-way contract for last season but it was 1-way for this current season) so that would require them to sign a separate AHL contract.

And yes they would be considered veterans because of the number of professional games they have played (this includes both AHL & NHL games). Skille has played in 327 pro games, Matthias has appeared in 293 games, and Ellerby has played in 266 pro games so all 3 would be subject to the AHL's veteran rule.

Because all 3 are veterans on 1-way contracts, yes they would need to clear waivers to play in the AHL. Also they would need to sign PTOs (Professional Try Out) contracts to play in the AHL and those are generally limited in length as well. Not wanting to lose any of the above to waivers, I'm sure thats why the Panthers never wanted them in the AHL. Also, both Skille & Matthias signed overseas so that didnt hurt them since they would still be playing.

Just an FYI, but Pinizzatto does have a 2-way deal so he was allowed to go play in the AHL because he has both an NHL & AHL contract. Thats different than the above 3 players.

Florida did have 1 player in d-man Tyson Strachan signed to a 1-way deal and playing in the AHL. But he was put thru waivers and was able to sign a PTO to play with the Rampage during the lockout. Not sure how much longer his PTO is for but usually they are 25 game contracts. And he can only be signed to two 25 game contracts so that is a limitation on what teams can sign veterans players to. With the lockout possibly coming to an end within the next 2 weeks, we may not even see Strachan get a 2nd PTO contract.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
The 20 yr old age factor only matters in relation to an agreement between the NHL & CHL but that agreement has expired if I have read correctly. And yes, it does matter if they have either an NHL or AHL contract signed. If they have an NHL 1-way contract, that means they dont have a contract to play in the AHL. If they have a 2-way contract, then yes they can play in the AHL. All 3 players are on 1-way deals (Matthias' contract was funny in that he signed a 2-way contract for last season but it was 1-way for this current season) so that would require them to sign a separate AHL contract.

And yes they would be considered veterans because of the number of professional games they have played (this includes both AHL & NHL games). Skille has played in 327 pro games, Matthias has appeared in 293 games, and Ellerby has played in 266 pro games so all 3 would be subject to the AHL's veteran rule.

Because all 3 are veterans on 1-way contracts, yes they would need to clear waivers to play in the AHL. Also they would need to sign PTOs (Professional Try Out) contracts to play in the AHL and those are generally limited in length as well. Not wanting to lose any of the above to waivers, I'm sure thats why the Panthers never wanted them in the AHL. Also, both Skille & Matthias signed overseas so that didnt hurt them since they would still be playing.

Just an FYI, but Pinizzatto does have a 2-way deal so he was allowed to go play in the AHL because he has both an NHL & AHL contract. Thats different than the above 3 players.

Florida did have 1 player in d-man Tyson Strachan signed to a 1-way deal and playing in the AHL. But he was put thru waivers and was able to sign a PTO to play with the Rampage during the lockout. Not sure how much longer his PTO is for but usually they are 25 game contracts. And he can only be signed to two 25 game contracts so that is a limitation on what teams can sign veterans players to. With the lockout possibly coming to an end within the next 2 weeks, we may not even see Strachan get a 2nd PTO contract.

Ah I see thanks!

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
You see, Floridian hockey fans are always willing and ready to help our Canadian hockey fans understand the ins and outs of their game:sarcasm:;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad