Quebec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
If quebec does become sovereign, which its looking more and more likely, especially with the new agreements on a quebec national guard, elections coming soon (which the Parti quebecois is supposed to win big), and with a referendum possibly coming in 2 years time, would there be a Quebec national Hockey team?

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Well, I'm not familiar with Canadian political situation but as long as they are part of Canada they won't have their own team.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
CTBruins87 said:
If quebec does become sovereign, which its looking more and more likely, especially with the new agreements on a quebec national guard, elections coming soon (which the Parti quebecois is supposed to win big), and with a referendum possibly coming in 2 years time, would there be a Quebec national Hockey team?

Where do you get your information? I don't think the sovereignty movement really has that much momentum at the moment. Certainly not to the point that seperation is considered an inevitability!

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe gets massive support in confidence vote

Ten years later, Quebec again flirts with independence

Bloc Quebecois leader Duceppe bets army proposal will help separatist cause

FIVE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS TO UNDERSTAND WHY THE PARTI QUÉBÉCOIS WANTS QUÉBEC TO BECOME A SOVEREIGN COUNTRY.

I know this isnt a politics forum, but those are the articles...and the last one is their english website, and they say what has been happening lately.

So I ask the question again. If this happens, will they get their own hockey team?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
CTBruins87 said:
If this happens, will they get their own hockey team?
Of course. Every country can ice its own team. Why in the world wouldn't Quebec have a team ? :confused:

time

Feb 26, 2005
Of course, Quebec could ice a medal contender all on their own. They would be on par with the Slovaks.

But, despite the news stories you cite, it ain't gonna happen. Outright independance will never fly, but the threat of breaking up the country sure does cut La Belle Province some sweetheart deals!

To add substance to this claim: the Clarity Act of the late nineties requires a process that is black and white. Therefore a vote for sovereignty is a vote out of NAFTA, a proportional share of the national debt, compensation for federal lands (like ports and airports) and, most odiously, no guarantee that they will have access to East Coast and Alberta oil.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
CTBruins87 said:
Idk, it took the soviet union and czechoslovakia a while to get one set up.
The last Czechoslovak championship ended in the spring of 1993 and in the summer of that same year Slovakia could already ice a team to take part in an Olympic qualifying tournament (which they won).

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
time said:
Of course, Quebec could ice a medal contender all on their own. They would be on par with the Slovaks.

But, despite the news stories you cite, it ain't gonna happen. Outright independance will never fly, but the threat of breaking up the country sure does cut La Belle Province some sweetheart deals!

To add substance to this claim: the Clarity Act of the late nineties requires a process that is black and white. Therefore a vote for sovereignty is a vote out of NAFTA, a proportional share of the national debt, compensation for federal lands (like ports and airports) and, most odiously, no guarantee that they will have access to East Coast and Alberta oil.

What is Canada going to do? Are they going to bomb Quebec into submission?

Who is honestly going to stop them? If Quebec wants out, they can get it. No one is about to fight an almost pacifist province of Canada.

I dont think the USA will mind. Most other NAFTA nations wouldnt. And honestly, since when has a western nation actually listened to an oganization they have belonged to?

It is a straight referendum vote. They vote that they want out, they get it. Simple as that.

Tokyo Bucks

Jul 27, 2005
tokyo
Just because it's the 10th anniversary of the referendum, there seems to be some noise. Quebec secession doesn't seem economically feasible, but then again economics usually gets trumped by emotion and nationalism/regionalism.

Quebec would field a contender and make international hockey that much more interesting ane exciting.

Would be cool if Quebec had it's own national team as part of it's sovereignty deal (kinda like how the UK fields four football teams) :P But it's also fun to see anglo and francophone stars work together on Team Canada.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
I am of French Canadian descent, and I will no longer support the Canadian National Team as long as Bertuzzi is on it. I never liked him, but after what he did to Steve Moore (a player I particularly liked, being able to watch the Avalanche frequently) I cannot support a country that lets a man like him represent it.

Obviously, this is not why I want Quebec to break away..I have my own reasons for wanting that, I would just love to be able to support a Quebec-only team.

Imagine the jerseys!

time

Feb 26, 2005
CTBruins87 said:
What is Canada going to do? Are they going to bomb Quebec into submission?

Who is honestly going to stop them? If Quebec wants out, they can get it. No one is about to fight an almost pacifist province of Canada.

I dont think the USA will mind. Most other NAFTA nations wouldnt. And honestly, since when has a western nation actually listened to an oganization they have belonged to?

It is a straight referendum vote. They vote that they want out, they get it. Simple as that.

Hey, if the Quebecois vote for independance, I would back up their rights to nationhood. I was just providing my two cents. I grew up in Quebec and am quite sympathetic to the movement. I've even had beers with Pierre Vallieres and other FLQ veterans!

But, my gut tells me that outright nationhood will most likely not happen (of course, my gut also tells me to stop eating burritios and no way is that going to happen).

espo*

I'll say one thing,if it ever does happen....................the newest,most intense international rivalry would come into existence in International hockey overnight.you could count on more then one Piestany Style punch up happening between those teams,at least for the first few years of those two hypothetical teams meeting up.The hatred for the Quebec team by the rest of Canada team(if there was one) would be over the top and would surely trigger punches on the ice somewhere along the line.

It'd get real ugly,real quick. i don't care who may come on here saying it would'nt go down like this between those two teams..............because it would.

I hope it does'nt happen,Quebec hockey players are Canadian hockey players,that's what they are meant to be.

espo*

CTBruins87 said:
I would love that rivalry though. It would make it so much more fun.
Oh,it would definately be interesting that's for sure.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I really havn't heard much in the way of separating lately...

It would be a shame to change the name of such a storied franchise to the Montreal Quebeciens...but c'est la vie, non?

Anyways, untill the Q decides to produce a defenseman or two, their international team would be in trouble

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
CTBruins87 said:
I am of French Canadian descent, and I will no longer support the Canadian National Team as long as Bertuzzi is on it. I never liked him, but after what he did to Steve Moore (a player I particularly liked, being able to watch the Avalanche frequently) I cannot support a country that lets a man like him represent it.

Obviously, this is not why I want Quebec to break away..I have my own reasons for wanting that, I would just love to be able to support a Quebec-only team.

Imagine the jerseys!

Did you support Team Canada after Bobby Clarke broke Kharlamov's ankle?

Just saying, I think it's silly to stop cheering for a team on the principle of not liking one member

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Opened a bit of a can of worms here, haven't we? If this was in a more regularly viewed forum it would have gotten much more savagely political by now. As it is I'm finding myself biting my virtual tongue.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
To the poster who said all countries have a team if they want one. I'd like to point out the England doesn't have a team. We've got Team GB. But in football and rugby we've all got are own teams (Irland plays as a whole, not split into the republic and northen). And in cricket we have England a Wales on the same team and Scotland has thier own.

I've got no idea about Canadien policts so I've got no veiw on it. Jst wanted to say that some conties do share the internatianl teams.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Naru said:
To the poster who said all countries have a team if they want one. I'd like to point out the England doesn't have a team.
England is not an independant country.

Naru said:
We've got Team GB. But in football and rugby we've all got are own teams (Irland plays as a whole, not split into the republic and northen). And in cricket we have England a Wales on the same team and Scotland has thier own.

I've got no idea about Canadien policts so I've got no veiw on it. Jst wanted to say that some conties do share the internatianl teams.
Let's put it this way : the country you live in, the UK, has four football teams for historical reasons, but the football situation is the exception, not the rule -- England can't even take part in the Olympics, they'll have to play as GB in 2012. If anything, it indicates that you don't even have to be an independant country to have your own team.

espo*

arrbez said:

Just saying, I think it's silly to stop cheering for a team on the principle of not liking one member
Yeah,i don't get that mentality.I was'nt always crazy about Claude Lemieux's antics while a member of the Habs but stop cheering for them because of it? No way in hell!!!

espo*

McGuillicuddy said:
Opened a bit of a can of worms here, haven't we? If this was in a more regularly viewed forum it would have gotten much more savagely political by now. As it is I'm finding myself biting my virtual tongue.
I do think political views should have stayed out of it since it is only talking about a hypothetical team and line-up.Peoples views on Quebec sovereignity would'nt seem to really apply here i'd say.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
arrbez said:

I am only 18. I dont have too many memories of the canadian national team before Nagano.

I remember Lillehammer, but not for ice hockey. Sadly I only remember figureskating because of the tonya harding and nancy kerrigan debacle.

I never really liked Bertuzzi. My west team is the Avalanche, and I never really thought much of the Canucks. But when he did what he did, I was offended. I felt that not only him letting down his team, his fans, and the NHL, I felt that he let down his country. Canada can win without him. In my view it was him or me.

I will be taking down my "shrine" of sorts of the Canadian NT that I have on the shelf in my room over christmas vacation. I cannot support Team Canada after this as long as he is there. It goes against what I believe in. And my ongoing hopes for Quebec independence continues, but whether they split or not remains to be seen. I feel I am of French descent, not English. My family that left France in 1620 went to Quebec, and the rest of my Quebec heritage came over from the Isle of Jersey in the 1800s. They also spoke French. I have a connection to Quebec more than the greater Dominion of Canada. I most certainly respect any Canadian, especially one who was born and lives there (I was born in CT). I wish them well this Olympiad, as I do to the USA, and I just hope they dont destroy Slovakia too badly.

This olympics I will be supporting Slovakia and Italy. These are most of the rest of my ethnic background (lithuania isnt good enough to make the olympics yet). I dont expect them to do much. I just want to see good hockey. Maybe the hockey situation will be solved for me by the time the World Cup of Hockey comes around, but if not, I will wait til Winter 2010.

We will see.

espo*

CTBruins87 said:
I am only 18. I dont have too many memories of the canadian national team before Nagano.

I remember Lillehammer, but not for ice hockey. Sadly I only remember figureskating because of the tonya harding and nancy kerrigan debacle.

I never really liked Bertuzzi. My west team is the Avalanche, and I never really thought much of the Canucks. But when he did what he did, I was offended. I felt that not only him letting down his team, his fans, and the NHL, I felt that he let down his country. Canada can win without him. In my view it was him or me.

I will be taking down my "shrine" of sorts of the Canadian NT that I have on the shelf in my room over christmas vacation. I cannot support Team Canada after this as long as he is there. It goes against what I believe in. And my ongoing hopes for Quebec independence continues, but whether they split or not remains to be seen. I feel I am of French descent, not English. My family that left France in 1620 went to Quebec, and the rest of my Quebec heritage came over from the Isle of Jersey in the 1800s. They also spoke French. I have a connection to Quebec more than the greater Dominion of Canada. I most certainly respect any Canadian, especially one who was born and lives there (I was born in CT). I wish them well this Olympiad, as I do to the USA, and I just hope they dont destroy Slovakia too badly.

This olympics I will be supporting Slovakia and Italy. These are most of the rest of my ethnic background (lithuania isnt good enough to make the olympics yet). I dont expect them to do much. I just want to see good hockey. Maybe the hockey situation will be solved for me by the time the World Cup of Hockey comes around, but if not, I will wait til Winter 2010.

We will see.
So what happens if Quebec eventually seperates and some player from the team,say.........................mario "the butcher" Dechastalains or something clubs some poor sap on the ice with his stick in a game against the Blue Jackets in Columbus? Can we conclude you will take down all your Team Quebec stuff and cheer on someone else?maybe even a unified English Team Canada if their behaviour meets your qualifications? And as for cheering for Slovakia this olympics instead of Team Canada because of that terrible Bertuzzi,did you happen to catch Chara's sucker punch of Ivanans against montreal about a week ago?Dangerous stuff!! According to your code of team loyalty.............i suggest maybe you will have to drop Slovakia and put away those flags in your room too.That is..................if you don't entertain double standards.Japan could be available if they are playing.............i have'nt heard of any goonery on the part of the Rising suns players of late.

This all sounds fishy to me.Like Bertuzzi just gave you the excuse you were looking for.I'm sure you will say otherwise but your reasoning does'nt add up well all things considered.There are plenty of Freudian slips i sense in your arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->