Quebec-PEI trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't seen Quebec play this year, what's some opinions on the trade and who the Rocket got. Louis-Philippe Lachance, and Jean-François Bernard. PEI seems to be struggling badly, and with Mior struggling this year (or he seems to struggle whenever I see him) I am not surprised that the Rocket made the move, but I assume it's going to get ugly for the rest of the season for PEI.

Really just wanted to get some opinions on Lachance and Bernard.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
montreal said:
I haven't seen Quebec play this year, what's some opinions on the trade and who the Rocket got. Louis-Philippe Lachance, and Jean-François Bernard. PEI seems to be struggling badly, and with Mior struggling this year (or he seems to struggle whenever I see him) I am not surprised that the Rocket made the move, but I assume it's going to get ugly for the rest of the season for PEI.

Really just wanted to get some opinions on Lachance and Bernard.

Bernard has been a little rough, and became especially expendable when the Remparts acquired Jonathan Boutin. I'm a little surprised because Maxime Joyal has had a pretty solid season whereas Boutin slid a little after a fast start. I wouldn't say that Bernard is the centerpiece of the trade anyway, as I like Lachance a little better.

Put it this way...I'd be surprised if Bernard started over Mior.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
I have seen Québec play here in shawinigan and i think they are ready for the playoff. They have a Big, heavy team.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Boutin is an awful, awful, awful goaltender.

He had this ridiculous start that fooled some people, but when you ask most people that actively follow the QMJHL, there are very few that would want him on the team that they follow.

His consistency makes Roman Cechmanek look like Martin Brodeur. Other than that start, even when he has been "good" he has not been good.

I don't understand the choice of getting Boutin. I'd much, much rather have Joyal in net, and I'm no fan of Joyal. Just my opinion, but I think most Moosehead followers have a similar view on Boutin.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:
Boutin is an awful, awful, awful goaltender.

He had this ridiculous start that fooled some people, but when you ask most people that actively follow the QMJHL, there are very few that would want him on the team that they follow.

His consistency makes Roman Cechmanek look like Martin Brodeur. Other than that start, even when he has been "good" he has not been good.

I don't understand the choice of getting Boutin. I'd much, much rather have Joyal in net, and I'm no fan of Joyal. Just my opinion, but I think most Moosehead followers have a similar view on Boutin.
Well,that certainly seems like
a biased view.He played well last year especially in the playoffs. There was alot
of pressure on him to do it all as the Rocket were young and weak on defence.
Some of his problems may be mental attitude but personally I think he has a
chronic nagging groin injury.He's never moved the same since he came back
from the injury (supposedly recovered).

LHJMQFAN

Oct 30, 2004
This year the defense is young on PEI but last year they had 3 D who were 20 years old. Boutin did good in the playoffs but this year after a very good start he gave up some nasty goals that usually made a difference. He is very commited and works a lot he will probably help the Remparts but can he lead them all the way? I am not sure, he is sometimes unpredictable...

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Watched Louis-Philippe Lachance play for the Rocket last night and he doesn't impress me much. Looks over matched in terms of size on the ice and looks to get overpowered in battles on the boards. He was a plus 17 on the Remparts. Was that just becuase he played on a good team and was the beneficiary of playing with a great team or is he good and maybe just had an off game last night??

Reminds me of a very poor mans Marc-Andre Gragnani, who BTW, was outstanding for the Rocket in last night's game. Korpinen was also solid for the Rocket and with Gragnani, I don't see why the Rocket would want another player of their stature and playing style in Lachance.

Back to Gragnani though, very impressed with his steady play throughout the season and to me, is improving everynight. If he fills out and puts on some more muscle , he could be a second or third round selection as an offensive D-man.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sotnos said:
Boutin is not "awful" by any stretch. He's not top-end and he's not perfect, but to me awful implies untalented, and he's certainly not that.

Boutin has no mental toughness.

As a 17 year old he was the #1 goalie in Halifax. November roles around an dhe ***** the bed and is relegated to #2. He also gets disgruntled because the Mooseheads traded for Lavallee at the deadline. Not sure why he was pissed...he couldnt handle the load.

As an 18 year old he was once again annointed the #1 goalie in Halifax. November roles around and Churchill steals the job away from him. The Mooseheads continue to give Boutin starts because after all he is NHL drafted and Churchill played JR A last year. Well Boutin's play gets worse and worse and he starts allowing goals goalies in Bantam turn away easily. Once again he gets pissed off that Churchill is getting more and more starts.

He is then traded for essentially a GOON.

As a 19 year old he is once again the #1 in PEI...after a torrid hot start to the season a November collopse haunts him again. Then he battles an injury and plays well again only to be traded.

Moral of the story is BOUTIN HAS NO CONSITANCY IN HIS GAME. When Boutin showed up here as a 16 year old i was really impressed with his technical game. By the time he was 17 everyone knew Bouts had great talent, good size and was quick. He just didnt have a mental game.

Mental toughness is what seperates the NHL goalies from the rest because all goalies even in the ECHL are talented.

Jonathan Boutin will have a carrer similar to Simon Lajeneuse or JF Damphousse unless he gain some cosnistancy in his game.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Lajeunesse was actually the name I was going to toss out as a comparison. Boutin seems like the skill is there...but like you said...there's something in his mental game that you're just not sure time can fix. He'll make an excellent minor league goalie..probably bouncing between the AHL and the ECHL, but I'd be shocked if the NHL was in his future beyond spot backup duty when someone gets hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad