Quebec City potential owner PKP talks to the Washington Post

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
What Péladeau said sounds like someone who knows it is over/a very long shot.

The league never wanted Quebec City (as it never wanted Winnipeg, but they had no choice at the time). It would have taken extraordinary circumstances for us to get a team. It didn't happen and the league went to Vegas and have been lucky so far. They will go to Seattle, as they should, and succeed if the team is managed properly. That brings you to 32, no more reason to expend. You can go the NFL route and have 8 divisions of 4 teams or stay the course and have 4 divisions of 8 teams each.

As far as relocation goes... Houston seems to be open for business, so they will be target number one. If Florida or Carolina end up moving in Houston, you can put them in the central and move the Hawks or the Preds East. They likely would not complain.

I mean, any way you try and spin it, it is VERY unlikely Quebec City ends up with an NHL team.

Reactions: Rob and Llama19

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
I don’t know why people keep on saying that Quebec City would be the smallest market in the NHL when the city has a metro population of 800 000 people while Winnipeg has a metro population of 778 000 people.

Also, at least 1/3 of the Province would be rooting for Quebec. That is 2.8M people, twice the entire population the province of Mannitoba.

Local population only matter for people that will fill the arena, Nordiques will have acces to a much bigger market for TV rights, merchandise, business support, etc... Local people will fill the arena at NHL price, each night...

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
Local population only matter for people that will fill the arena, Nordiques will have acces to a much bigger market for TV rights, merchandise, business support, etc... Local people will fill the arena at NHL price, each night...
Exactly. Also we need to keep in mind that Quebec City is one the most visited city by tourits in all of Canada and a good part of those tourists come from Northeaster US where hockey is pretty popular.

Also, expect the number of tourists to rise just because of the weed legalisation. I used to work as a cab driver when I was 19 in 2013. Young adults from the US came here to cebrate the their 18th birthday because they could drink and go out in nightclubs. Expect those number to rise with the cannabis legalization.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Montreal and Toronto are very happy with an NHL Franchise in Ottawa. The Senators aren't moving to Quebec City for that reason alone.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Theoretically, the NHL could easily reach 40 teams, if you follow the logic of 32 American teams with 8 Canadian teams. Quebec would easily become 8th Canadian team. Florida is more likely not to succeed unless they move into the downtown Miami. I remember in early 90's, they sell tickets well in downtown Miami at the old arena. Somehow, they choose to move out of the limits and the effect were immediately. So anyways, like 32 NFL teams all over the map, so I think that there could be a few NHL teams. If there's a professional team in North Dakota, I think that it would get some success story even it is a small states, Grand Forks or Fargo. There are a several big cities that could have a NHL teams: Kansas City, Houston, OKC, Hartford, Portland, Memphis, New Orleans and a several candidates. If Sabres didn't exist today and I do not believe that Buffalo would be considered front-runner for an expansion team so North Dakota is not likely to be considered for an expansion. So this proves that a small market teams like Buffalo can thrive in the NHL markets with the way the cap system works that the owners are happy with. But the players are not happy with escrow and Olympic participation so this could complicate things for future expansion past 32 teams.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
32 is the right number. Vegas and Seattle will help with the next US TV contract.

I think Quebec's problem is the owner. Not the market.
Winnipeg had an owner who was respected in the AHL. Impressed the NHL owners with his vision.

Quebec has Jacobs against them. Because Jacobs won't get a cent out of the arena concessions. Montreal is publicly for Quebec, privately probably not willing to support a rival, eating at their profits.

I see only 2 options for Quebec. 1. Ottawa falling through on arena development, Melnyk reacting by moving his team. 2. Florida. Clearly not a hockey market. But the losses are subsidized. Politics can change that.

I'm really in favour of moving Tampa to the Metro, which should be the Atlantic, Tampa is able to survive on their own. And bringing in Quebec to a rivalry division, adding the Isles.

Toronto-Detroit, Montreal-Boston, Montreal-Quebec, Boston-Toronto, Boston-New York, Buffalo-New York, Detroit-Buffalo, Toronto-Ottawa.

Make some money for the broadcasters.

202o I am hoping. 25 years after they left.

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
Florida still has a minimum of 5 years left. By then we'll have a clearer picture. As a fan, its still tough to see the empty seats and only drawing 11-13k, especially with the last two games being on weekends with no excuse about work and travel time.

If that time came I'd be disheartened if they were to move to QC, but not surprised. They need to get their act together and start bringing in more fans. The weekday starts being pushed to 7 doesnt help at all. South Florida traffic is an absolute nightmare. People struggle to get there for a 730 game. Now its gonna be even worse. Even for me who lives about 75 minutes North on a good day with no traffic.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't see Quebec being able to support a NHL team long term. Nice arena and maybe a rich owner will pay for loses, but regardless you need 15000 people to pay NHL prices for 41 games a year, if you want to break even. Just don't know if Quebec has the business or population base to support it.
That being said about my doubts about Quebec, I don't know how the Florida and Arizona and their shell game with arenas, revenue transfer etc are beneficial to the NHL at all.

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
I don't see Quebec being able to support a NHL team long term. Nice arena and maybe a rich owner will pay for loses, but regardless you need 15000 people to pay NHL prices for 41 games a year, if you want to break even. Just don't know if Quebec has the business or population base to support it.
That being said about my doubts about Quebec, I don't know how the Florida and Arizona and their shell game with arenas, revenue transfer etc are beneficial to the NHL at all.

It's nothing more than a tax write off for Viola and the Panthers

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Florida still has a minimum of 5 years left. By then we'll have a clearer picture. As a fan, its still tough to see the empty seats and only drawing 11-13k, especially with the last two games being on weekends with no excuse about work and travel time.

If that time came I'd be disheartened if they were to move to QC, but not surprised. They need to get their act together and start bringing in more fans. The weekday starts being pushed to 7 doesnt help at all. South Florida traffic is an absolute nightmare. People struggle to get there for a 730 game. Now its gonna be even worse. Even for me who lives about 75 minutes North on a good day with no traffic.

Interesting thoughts. I know what the deal is with the county, but another election could rewrite it. Similar to Glendale? Not saying they would. But it seems kind of asshattish to take money from the county while stating that the arena itself makes money, from other events.

I honestly think that the modern players would prefer to play in Miami, in front of empty seats, than Quebec, with high taxes, and a language barrier. Until the lack of revenue affects their salaries, which it doesn't.

Quebec is really in tough to get a team. Even if they could support it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
PKP talks about Quebec City's chances to land a NHL team. For the first time, he publicly states that Quebec may come back in the NHL via relocation. He doesn't point specific markets, but he says:

“At least [team owners] have several scenarios, which is interesting for them and interesting for what other cities in North America are able to provide to the league,” Péladeau said. “At the end of the day, if there is a location where you have a strong business plan and a passionate owner with financial means, you have more possibilities to win and to participate in the total wealth of the league instead of subsidizing continuously some pieces.
“There is a market, but the market’s not there. The arenas are not full. I’m not going to say they’re empty, but they’re far from being full.”

The NHL’s expansion era may be ending with Seattle. What’s that mean for Quebec City?

Mod edit , old thread : Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

I think most of us think quebec comes back via relocation

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Any market should follow the Jets model for getting a team back.

Quiet and methodical.

Being out in the media does nothing but hurt your cause.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Any market should follow the Jets model for getting a team back.

Quiet and methodical.

Being out in the media does nothing but hurt your cause.
Bingo. Look at what Chipman and Thompson did. Shut your mouth and play by Gary's rules. If you go rogue like Balsille, you get black balled

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
At this point, I don't even want the Nordiques to return.

The city doesn't need the Nordiques.
I as a hockey fan doesn't need the Nordiques.

I can enjoy a good quality junior hockey for less than 750$/year my face stamped into the 1st seat and food included.

What I do need tho is the NHL to stop giving us pointless pre-season games of the Habs. They can ship those to Europe...if we trust Bill Daly that should be the next logical expansion for the league.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
At this point, I don't even want the Nordiques to return.

The city doesn't need the Nordiques.
I as a hockey fan doesn't need the Nordiques.

I can enjoy a good quality junior hockey for less than 750$/year my face stamped into the 1st seat and food included.

What I do need tho is the NHL to stop giving us pointless pre-season games of the Habs. They can ship those to Europe...if we trust Bill Daly that should be the next logical expansion for the league.

Europe isn't going to get any NHL teams at all. its not even financially feasible. Cost of 8 teams + arenas.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You have to think that the IIHF would be really interested in having a tourney in Quebecc. Both junior and the World Championships. With 23 years having passed the Nordiques-Canadiens alumni games are getting a little slower, with time, might need a Canadiens vs Russians preseason game to bring more fish in.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Once again, I invite everyone to clalm down.

The US economy is currently doing great and sports team values are exploding upwards.

This wont go on forever. Last recession killed Atlanta's team, the next one will most likely give us our opportunity.

Losing 20-30 millions a year isn't sustainable if team values stop massively increasing and credit freezes.... and that will happen during the next recession.

So, in summary, like the Cubs winning the World Series, it's gonna happen!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Once again, I invite everyone to clalm down.

The US economy is currently doing great and sports team values are exploding upwards.

This wont go on forever. Last recession killed Atlanta's team, the next one will most likely give us our opportunity.

Losing 20-30 millions a year isn't sustainable if team values stop massively increasing and credit freezes.... and that will happen during the next recession.

So, in summary, like the Cubs winning the World Series, it's gonna happen!

Last Recession had nothing to do with why Atlanta team was relocated. The owner of the arena didn't want an NHL team playing there and kicked them out.

And the next recession might not. The NHL isn't just gonna move a team to Quebec just for the sake of doing so. It'll happen when it make sense to while keeping the alignment 16 west located team 16 east located teams.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Last Recession had nothing to do with why Atlanta team was relocated. The owner of the arena didn't want an NHL team playing there and kicked them out.

And the next recession might not. The NHL isn't just gonna move a team to Quebec just for the sake of doing so. It'll happen when it make sense to while keeping the alignment 16 west located team 16 east located teams.

Under the current economic climate they could have found some billionaire who would have happily paid them massively to keep the team in Atlanta as a toy.

Just like some guy was found in Carolina, and might be found yet in Arizona.

But when the economy falls appart it's not that easy.

Let me tell you, if a bunch of teams are in real crisis at the same time because of the next economic crisis.... and it's not nearly possible to save all of them... and action is needed quickly... well... matters of time zones wont be so crucial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad