Quebec City potential owner PKP talks to the Washington Post

AllezlesBleus

Mar 8, 2012
Belgium
PKP talks about Quebec City's chances to land a NHL team. For the first time, he publicly states that Quebec may come back in the NHL via relocation. He doesn't point specific markets, but he says:

“At least [team owners] have several scenarios, which is interesting for them and interesting for what other cities in North America are able to provide to the league,” Péladeau said. “At the end of the day, if there is a location where you have a strong business plan and a passionate owner with financial means, you have more possibilities to win and to participate in the total wealth of the league instead of subsidizing continuously some pieces.
“There is a market, but the market’s not there. The arenas are not full. I’m not going to say they’re empty, but they’re far from being full.”

The NHL’s expansion era may be ending with Seattle. What’s that mean for Quebec City?

Mod edit , old thread : https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/has-quebec-city-been-priced-out-of-the-nhl.2420645/

Last edited by a moderator:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
While Vegas has been more of a success than I thought they'd be and Seattle should have got a team yrs. ago I still think Quebec City definitely should have got a team. Maybe Florida or Carolina should they move.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
While Vegas has been more of a success than I thought they'd be and Seattle should have got a team yrs. ago I still think Quebec City definitely should have got a team. Maybe Florida or Carolina should they move.

Carolina can't go anywhere for the next 7 years.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yeah, QC has a bit of a wait to go.

I can't see the league expanding past 32 immediately, though the Seattle domino needs to fall first.

After that, it seems Houston is next in line based on Jacob's comments.

There's no obvious eastern team that's a candidate. Despite the mess in Ottawa, there are potential owners that want to keep the team there. Only possible is somehow Lebreton goes nuclear.

Florida and Carolina, their respective leases expiration/out clause are too far away right now to even speculate.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I don't think PKP talking in the media about struggling franchises with empty seats is a good look for a guy trying to acquire a team. You think BOG around the league like this? Doubt it. You know Bettman hates this

I think it's a nothing comment. No teams were mentioned and no obvious hints were dropped either. PKP was more or less just stating the obvious

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think NHL ends expansion era at 32 given. With current price being 650m never mind would be higher later on, its no longer justifiable for groups/markets to pay that kind of prices or even higher than what Seattle paid.

Reactions: DaveG

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Atlanta -> Winnipeg has been a success story so far, Québec is a safe bet but the ceiling is obviously not as high as Houston (or Atlanta).

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Alright 2nd smallest. Greenbay is a very unique situation that only works in football.

And, while I tend to think Quebec would work, I don't think the league is at all excited about it.

Quebec and Winnipeg are very close in size.

Quebec would add little to anyone else in the league except solving a problem.

It's a distance off yet

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumbledore

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I did, what was listed didn't seem that glaring.

The whole political issue if i can recall correctly is he is associate with a political party that wants Quebec to be their own country. Someone can correct me if i am wrong. If i was the league i wouldn't want an owner that is involved with governmental politics.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The whole political issue if i can recall correctly is he is associate with a political party that wants Quebec to be their own country. Someone can correct me if i am wrong. If i was the league i wouldn't want an owner that is involved with governmental politics.

Not to get into politics, but the issue is as quiet as it as it's been in years. The party PKP was with was defeated soundly in the last 2 elections.

Saying that, the article is more about strife between members within Quebecor. One of the minority shareholders using emotion by bringing up the Nordqiues for their own hopeful gains in the company.

The NHL board would like not be persuaded by this either way, nor the political views of any hopeful.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
I hope i'm wrong , but the PKP situation looks more and more like Jim Balsillie 2.0.

I agree....... Not sure why PKP thinks it's a good idea to talk about it in the media. Bettmans rules are pretty clear, keep your mouth shut and stay in the shadows. Thompson and Chipman played Gary's game, and received a team because of it

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Quebec City got screwed over by the whole dollar thing. They're probably going to have to take a team via relocation, either Carolina, Arizona or Florida. An expansion would happen for them if they were one of four teams.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->