Quebec City getting a franchise ?

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
I think this is probably the most deserving place of another franchise, but I also think it's by far the least likely. It doesn't have the arena, nor does it have anyone who would be interested in building the arena, paying the franchise fees and all that. A team isn't going to magically show up there because the league feels it's a good idea.

The city needs some rich ass, french Canadian owner to show up, build an arena, and turn out his pockets to get a team there. Otherwise ya, it won't happen.

Hopefully if the league does indeed expand, it considers Winnipeg first (which I've heard plenty that it's their top choice for Canada.)

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Hopefully if the league does indeed expand, it considers Winnipeg first (which I've heard plenty that it's their top choice for Canada.)

What does that mean?

I'd imagine that the league's "top choice for Canada" would be Yellowknife if some billionaire wanted to front the cash.

Fugu

Because, duh, he would add a bunch of Canadian teams, the league would sink into obscurity akin to the NLL, but hey, at least it would be back in the hands of those that matter the most.

They're right, though. 52 million is a high salary cap...won't it be better when the cap is 13 million?

I'd like to see a link where Yzerman discusses the size of the league and future of the NHL. Almost everything I've seen from Yzerman has him staying in Detroit, but apparently some of you guys know his thoughts on these matters.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I'd like to see a link where Yzerman discusses the size of the league and future of the NHL. Almost everything I've seen from Yzerman has him staying in Detroit, but apparently some of you guys know his thoughts on these matters.

It wasn't a commentary on Yzerman so much as it was the prevailing, 'OMGZ WE NEED THE GAME BACK IN THE HANDS OF THE GOOD OL' CANADIAN BOYZ, THEY'LL FIX THINGS AND PUT TEAMS IN FLIN FLON AND LABRADOR, LIKE THEY BELONG" attitude on this and many other boards.

Fugu

It wasn't a commentary on Yzerman so much as it was the prevailing, 'OMGZ WE NEED THE GAME BACK IN THE HANDS OF THE GOOD OL' CANADIAN BOYZ, THEY'LL FIX THINGS AND PUT TEAMS IN FLIN FLON AND LABRADOR, LIKE THEY BELONG" attitude on this and many other boards.

It sounded like it was a commentary on Yzerman since that's who the original poster brought up as the person who should become commissioner. Just getting the facts straight, that being that Yzerman has never suggested or shown any interest in that type of role. He also has not spoken out against the current league size or make up. The fact is... Yzerman is 'management' now and likely a part of the Wings operational future.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

As a forum moderator you should be above this kind of garbage. Stupid people say stupid things. It your job not to perpetuate this.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Quebec City isn't getting another team. Not without a new arena (which isn't coming soon) and some serious financial backing (which no one has stepped forward to offer up).

Hartford has a better shot at getting a 2nd chance than Quebec City ... and Hartford's chances are slim at best.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Nobody speaks English in Quebec City. Why would an UFA sign here ? Many players would probably pull a Pronger.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
As a forum moderator you should be above this kind of garbage. Stupid people say stupid things. It your job not to perpetuate this.

I see nothing wrong with what nomorekids said - it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you've been here awhile it's funny. Furthermore, why should becoming a moderator automatically exclude one from enjoying themselves on the board?

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Nobody speaks English in Quebec City. Why would an UFA sign here ? Many players would probably pull a Pronger.

Well, when the nordiques existed, the language didn't see to bother the players...

Also, Marc-Andre Bergeron once said, he and many other players he knows would like to play in quebec city.

He's the quote :
Si les Nordiques renaissaient, j'aimerais aller terminer ma carrière à Québec. Je ne suis pas le seul. Plusieurs gars dans l'équipe seraient heureux que Québec revienne dans la ligue. C'est une belle ville, une bonne ville de hockey.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I see nothing wrong with what nomorekids said - it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you've been here awhile it's funny. Furthermore, why should becoming a moderator automatically exclude one from enjoying themselves on the board?

I'll take your word for it and chalk it up to having a little fun since I am new here.
However, I would say that lately these boards have been full of insults over who deserves hockey the most and I do not get the sense that they are being spoken in jest.

puckhead103*

Well, when the nordiques existed, the language didn't see to bother the players...

Also, Marc-Andre Bergeron once said, he and many other players he knows would like to play in quebec city.

He's the quote :
could you translate it into english, please?

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005

He's the quote :

Of course Bergeron would play here. Quebec is probably the greatest city for a francophone. However, this city is not friendly for English persons... And the winter is very rough. And the airport sucks. Etc...

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
could you translate it into english, please?

No problem sir.
"If the Nordiques revive, I would love to play there at the end of my carreer. And I am not the only one. Many other guys in the team would like to see Quebec City getting an nhl team back. Quebec is a beautiful city and a city of hockey."

habitue*

Expension is crazy !

Nashville- Florida and even Tampa Bay are struggling franchises at the gate. And how popular is hockey in Southern California ? Just look at the BBQ in the Pond's parking lot for the Stanley Cup Champions... Pity !

I would like to see these three teams relocated in Winnipeg - Hamilton/or Kitchener and Quebec City: three real hockey cities with strong fans bases.

habitue*

Of course Bergeron would play here. Quebec is probably the greatest city for a francophone. However, this city is not friendly for English persons... And the winter is very rough. And the airport sucks. Etc...

'Not friendly to English persons"... ? That is probably why hundreds of thousands of Americans and English Canadians are visiting it and enjoying it each year !

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003

Yeah. I know what you mean. But, still, many francophones would love to play here.

And it's certainly not the weather that's going to prevent us of getting an nhl team. In Edmonton, I don't think the weather is much better.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
'Not friendly to English persons"... ? That is probably why hundreds of thousands of Americans and English Canadians are visiting it and enjoying it each year !

There's a difference between visiting the Old Quebec where everybody is bilingual, and living in a suburb where nobody speaks English... Believe me, I live in Quebec city... We only have 2 English high schools in the whole city. We got no English newspaper.

Last edited:

SoCalPredFan

Apr 14, 2007
Portland, OR
Expansion will be out West .... there are already way too many teams concentrated in the northeast. Western teams (Seattle, Portland, KC, Vegas, Winnipeg, etc) make more sense to help put more teams in western side of the continent. Detroit and Columbus (both in EST) are "west" teams --- that's a problem, IMO.

-t

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Until Quebec City has an arena, it will not be considered. Nevermind the standard market size, corporate sector and oppressive tax scheme problems.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
However, I would say that lately these boards have been full of insults over who deserves hockey the most and I do not get the sense that they are being spoken in jest.
Damn straight they're not spoken in jest. Is it any wonder why a Nashville fan would make some snarky (though amusing) comments? They've been getting crapped on around here for years and it's gone up tenfold in the past few weeks. See comment quoted below (i.e., typical uninformed person with no actual clue about attendance #s and bringing in some silliness about "real hockey cities"), and see if you can figure out why some of us get annoyed.

Expension is crazy !

Nashville- Florida and even Tampa Bay are struggling franchises at the gate. And how popular is hockey in Southern California ? Just look at the BBQ in the Pond's parking lot for the Stanley Cup Champions... Pity !

I would like to see these three teams relocated in Winnipeg - Hamilton/or Kitchener and Quebec City: three real hockey cities with strong fans bases.
Please find me #s that show Tampa is struggling at the gate, thanks.

habitue*

There's a difference between visiting the Old Quebec where everybody is bilingual, and living in a suburb where nobody speaks English... Believe me, I live in Quebec city... We only have 2 English high schools in the whole city. We got no English newspaper.

How many unilingual Anglophones are leaving in Quebec City ? Anyway, you have all the English-written national and international papers available. And you have the CBC.

Learning a second language (the language of your surrounding majotity) never killed anybody.

A lot of unilingual English speaking players or Euripeans have played with the Nordiques over the years, and I don't remember a lot who did not enjoyed it. The Statsnys learned French in half a year !

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
How many unilingual Anglophones are leaving in Quebec City ? Anyway, you have all the English-written national and international papers available. And you have the CBC.

Learning a second language (the language of your surrounding majotity) never killed anybody.

Try to convince a Russian or Swede that: not only does he have to learn English as a 2nd language, but he must also learn French. Good luck.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
The NHLPA gets to see and audit all the financial info from each team now under the CBA.

The salary cap is based on league-wide hockey related revenues not the economic health of any particular franchise.

One of the criticisms of the new CBA was that revenue sharing did not go far enought to level the playing field.

So, if the salary cap increases every year, it means the revenues are bigger. How in hell can the revenues increase like that if half teams of the league loses money ? I mean, okay, the price for tickets are higher every year but that's not suppose to make a huge difference like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->