Quebec: Cancelled to AUgust 31st

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
All sports competitions have to be sanctioned by their respective governing bodies (e.g., Hockey Canada sanctions all USports hockey). Without that sanctioning, there will be no liability insurance or referees, as happened at the University Cup this year.

There is ZERO chance any Athletic Director would allow their teams to compete in unsanctioned events.

I can't imagine somebody at USports refusing to sanction teams that are able to play an exhibition season.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I can't imagine somebody at USports refusing to sanction teams that are able to play an exhibition season.

I don't think you understand what the term "sanction" means here, or its implications.

USports is just one amateur league amongst many. Each sport in which USports competes is overseen by a separate governing body (e.g., Hockey Canada, Rugby Canada). Those governing bodies manage everything from coaching certification to referees, and provide liability insurance. They must sanction an event for liability insurance to be in effect.

Using hockey as our example, Hockey Canada does the sanctioning - not USports. If Hockey Canada says "no hockey" (as they did in March), then USports is powerless.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I don't think you understand what the term "sanction" means here, or its implications.

USports is just one amateur league amongst many. Each sport in which USports competes is overseen by a separate governing body (e.g., Hockey Canada, Rugby Canada). Those governing bodies manage everything from coaching certification to referees, and provide liability insurance. They must sanction an event for liability insurance to be in effect.

Using hockey as our example, Hockey Canada does the sanctioning - not USports. If Hockey Canada says "no hockey" (as they did in March), then USports is powerless.
They would have to cancel all games for all leagues for that to happen. In that case, there would be no teams to play against. If some provinces can play, I don't see HC stopping them.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
They would have to cancel all games for all leagues for that to happen. In that case, there would be no teams to play against. If some provinces can play, I don't see HC stopping them.

As opposed to how Hockey Canada cancelled all hockey, in all leagues - including a certain National Championship that had already started - without warning on March 12th? I think you underestimate Hockey Canada.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box

As others have said, it's not up to the Univerisity or U Sports wether we are allowed to play to start off with. Without the NSO's sanction, no university in their right mind would allow it's student-athlete's to participate in any game and/or practices. There are too many risk factors in organised sports going forward without NSO santioning it and allowing their liability insurance.

As for some provinces being able to play and other's not, what would be the point? Let's see for the AUS, if we exclude NS (which is likely at this point) we get:

- Football : 1 team (if NS is a no-go, QC likely will too, so no Bishop's)
- Basketball (M/W) : 2/2
- Hockey (M/W) : 3/5
- Soccer (M/W) : 4/4 (5 on both sides if MUN is in)
- Volleyball (M (RSEQ)/W) : 1/2

So there you have it, the only league that would operate at more than 50% of membership is Women's hockey, and you'd still eliminate the top-2 seeds from last year. Men's and Women's soccer would be at an even 50% but you'd eliminate the top-2 on the men's side (4 of the 6 playoff teams would be out) and the top-4 on the women's side (5 of the 6 playoff teams if MUN isn't there!) .

So I don't see any of that being plausible to have a season if things don't get better in the other provinces. And I don't want to play meaningless exhibition games either. You increase the risk of injury, the risk of players doing something stupid (won't hurt the standings/doesn't count) and costs money for no good reason and exhibition games rarely bring in a decent crowd, no matter the league or level of play.

To put on a game costs me 420$ in officials, 300$ in minor officials (bare minimum, lot more than that for regular ops), 225$ in security (have to have it if the bar is open), and about 1000 $ in potential ice rental revenue. Away games aren't any better, 1,500$ for the bus ride, 400$ for meals it all add's up pretty quick.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
As others have said, it's not up to the Univerisity or U Sports wether we are allowed to play to start off with. Without the NSO's sanction, no university in their right mind would allow it's student-athlete's to participate in any game and/or practices. There are too many risk factors in organised sports going forward without NSO santioning it and allowing their liability insurance.

As for some provinces being able to play and other's not, what would be the point? Let's see for the AUS, if we exclude NS (which is likely at this point) we get:

- Football : 1 team (if NS is a no-go, QC likely will too, so no Bishop's)
- Basketball (M/W) : 2/2
- Hockey (M/W) : 3/5
- Soccer (M/W) : 4/4 (5 on both sides if MUN is in)
- Volleyball (M (RSEQ)/W) : 1/2

So there you have it, the only league that would operate at more than 50% of membership is Women's hockey, and you'd still eliminate the top-2 seeds from last year. Men's and Women's soccer would be at an even 50% but you'd eliminate the top-2 on the men's side (4 of the 6 playoff teams would be out) and the top-4 on the women's side (5 of the 6 playoff teams if MUN isn't there!) .

So I don't see any of that being plausible to have a season if things don't get better in the other provinces. And I don't want to play meaningless exhibition games either. You increase the risk of injury, the risk of players doing something stupid (won't hurt the standings/doesn't count) and costs money for no good reason and exhibition games rarely bring in a decent crowd, no matter the league or level of play.

To put on a game costs me 420$ in officials, 300$ in minor officials (bare minimum, lot more than that for regular ops), 225$ in security (have to have it if the bar is open), and about 1000 $ in potential ice rental revenue. Away games aren't any better, 1,500$ for the bus ride, 400$ for meals it all add's up pretty quick.
None of those costs would increase.

It may be that conferences and Usports deny recognition of championships but that's another matter.

A lot of leagues will have to decide if teams based in unsafe areas are allowed to play. Maybe the MJHL could proceed and the AJHL could not. Maybe the WHL would proceed with just Manitoba and Saskatchewan teams.

HC would be unlikely in my view to deny teams from safe areas from playing.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
The costs wouldn't increase, but there's no point in paying them if there's no point to the games. No one in any organized league starts a year thinking "Bah, let's just play for shits and gigggles this year and no bother having a Championship". Besides, like I said I'm not going to be hosting exhibition games in empty arenas (wether fan are allowed or not Ex games only usually pull in 2-300 fans, not worth it). I'm also not going to play a 3-team league with UNB and UPEI, we all know how that would end up, and I'm sure Forbes and Gardiner and all others concerned would agree with me that that wouldn't be practical or benificial to anyone.

I don't think you quite understand the situation as well as you think. The AUS can't just decide right now to go ahead with all the teams. For one, some universities might not allow athletics in the fall for all we know. For another thing, if they do and want to procede, who's to say all the athletes will come back? If one my teams travels to NS right now and comes into contact with residents of Nova Scotia while there, they have to self-isolate for 14 days when they get back in New Brunswick. Doesn't sound very practical to me.

I'm not sure why you keep beating a dead horse with the Hockey Canada thing. Did you not notice they stopped all of the leagues at all levels in the middle of March? Quite a few of them in the middle of playoffs and/or National Championships? All other NSO's did the same thing to. Baseball Canada has already cancelled all their Championships for this summer, and at this point it is unlikely that there will be any baseball played at all under their direction.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Two main things;

1) Hockey NB, Hockey NS and Hockey PEI, with permission from Hockey Canada, have to be 'open' for play at close to the same time. It's been hinted from HC, in Calgary, that they are likely going to work with each provincial body and that province's Health Authority on when they can open. We (the AUS) need that so we have some Officials. USPORTS is a Hockey Canada partner so as much as they could go out on their own - it doesn't make much sense. We've spent a lot of time building that relationship (USPORTS v CanJr, USPORTS wearing HC jersey's at FISU, etc). No need to burn that bridge now. This applies to any game - Regular Season, Playoffs and Exhibition. No HC support, you get no Refs and you lose their insurance, so you would have to get your own. It's just messy and not worth it.

2) Inter-Provincial travel between NB/PEI and NS is required to finish the season. You can play a bias local schedule for part of the season, but eventually you need to play the other side and hopefully it's sooner than the finals - I don't believe there would be much of an appetite to watch UNB play PEI and UdeM 8 times (each).

If you have no UCup, you'd at least have an AUS Season and Title

As for start dates across USPORTS - don't care. To each their own. It's already pretty random.

As for students on campus, I believe it's going to happen for the Fall, definitely for the Winter term.

Regardless of all other talking pionts, if you can't satisfy #1 and #2, you have no league, so it's moot.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
USPORTS is a Hockey Canada partner so as much as they could go out on their own - it doesn't make much sense. We've spent a lot of time building that relationship (USPORTS v CanJr, USPORTS wearing HC jersey's at FISU, etc). No need to burn that bridge now. This applies to any game - Regular Season, Playoffs and Exhibition. No HC support, you get no Refs and you lose their insurance, so you would have to get your own. It's just messy and not worth it.

There's not a single University President in Canada who would support going against Hockey Canada. Not one.

As for students on campus, I believe it's going to happen for the Fall, definitely for the Winter term.

The Winter Term will present a bigger risk on campuses than the Fall Term, with people traveling to/from home and then being stuck inside.

Most universities have already stated that their Fall Term will be online as much as possible, and I don't see any of those universities then pushing for a change in the Winter Term.

This doesn't mean that some students won't be allowed on campus. But it's not going to be business as usual at any point this coming year.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Indeed. I don't see this as something where the CW or anybody else would have to "go against" Hockey Canada. If the sport is not banned, they'll have to allow university teams to play.

And in Manitoba they announced that baseball and softball would be starting up.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Canada West leads the way in canceling all Fall Sports.

I was talking to UNB coach G-Mac about hockey in the fall. Not really a lot to say. Hoping for a few Ex games in Nov-Dec time frame and meaningful games Jan-Mar. With no TV contract for Nationals the championship can be played "almost" any time. He did say, and I tend to agree, that everything will be predicated on the NHL starting in August and playing into Sept-Oct. If that doesn't happen or it starts and fails (for health reasons), then there'll be no other hockey at any level.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
French article going around on Facebook, out of Quebec saying that 3/4 U Sports conferences (CW, AUS and OUA) have agreed to cancel all fall sports and that an announcement should be coming tomorrow.

In a way it sucks, but it's the right decision. I'm hoping we can have a shortened season in the winter term + Nationals and hoping that the U Sports doesn't dock athletes an eligibility year for it, but I think that's a pipe dream.

I was talking to UNB coach G-Mac about hockey in the fall.

Still working for him are ya. Haha.

Reactions: AUS Fan

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I was talking to UNB coach G-Mac about hockey in the fall. Not really a lot to say. Hoping for a few Ex games in Nov-Dec time frame and meaningful games Jan-Mar. With no TV contract for Nationals the championship can be played "almost" any time. He did say, and I tend to agree, that everything will be predicated on the NHL starting in August and playing into Sept-Oct. If that doesn't happen or it starts and fails (for health reasons), then there'll be no other hockey at any level.

I would go a step further and say that, even if the NHL is successful this Fall, there may still be some lower levels that opt to not start playing.

The NHL is doing this for the money, and is thus willing to assume some risks - or pay more to mitigate them (e.g., through testing, quarantining in hotels) - that other leagues are not (or cannot) assume. Just because the NHL returns in January does not mean that USports will.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I've been seeing stuff on Twitter where UofA will play some ex games "sometime" against some regional teams. Not a lot of info on this. Did see this morn where MacEwan has stated that they will Not play any games against UofA.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Manitoba baseball is up and running and hockey is planning business as slightly-unusual. Here's a sample return to play document:

Return to Play Document | Baseball Manitoba

Each sport needs to submit this type of plan to re-open. There is no gum or sunflower seeds allowed at baseball now!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The biggest cuts will occur when NCAA football is cancelled. Football pays for most other sports. People fail to realize the obscene amount of money that a school gets from football.

Reactions: northvanman and Rob

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Many conferences are saying conference play ONLY for football. The Ivy League has said nothing until 2021, just like USports. Oddly, football gets enough tv revenue to make it viable with empty stands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->