Quebec and hockey - the discussion

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu
If the US economy tanks most likely Canada's will as well.

Ah... but that's why I caveated that with "because of high oil prices"... Canada (not necessarily all, but most certainly some regions) will be just fine even in a US recession if oil prices stay nice and high... The dollar is geting higher and higher, our fiscal balance is getting better and better, it's a bit of a dream, but there are possible stars that could align to make some wealth fools that just might buy a hockey team!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Red Bull tastes like a donkeys piss left out in the sun for 3 months, then left in a rotting dead camel. It is then refrigerated and carbonated. Monster is the greatest energy drink there is.

Quebec City Monsters I THINK AWESOME!!!!!

Monster>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else in existence

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
Isnt it too late? I thought Gottesdeiner and the other dude were the only 2 left in the bidding. if he brings them to Quebec, do you think he would consider the Nordiques name?

I hate this pro-Quebec and pro-Hartford and pro-Winnipeg hype when it always falls through.:shakehead

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Isnt it too late? I thought Gottesdeiner and the other dude were the only 2 left in the bidding. if he brings them to Quebec, do you think he would consider the Nordiques name?

I hate this pro-Quebec and pro-Hartford and pro-Winnipeg hype when it always falls through.:shakehead

All the Pittsburgh papers are saying that Gottesdeiner seems to be a distant second in the bidding. Fingold is the front runner.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The two threads on Quebec and hockey are now merged - any further discussion on this should go here and *not* on a new thread.

Kostolany

Apr 26, 2006
Vienna, AUSTRIA
Right, who is doing the negotiating? Wem ist aushandlen mit dem Pittsburgh Penguins?

(Sorry, I'm just kind of looking for an excuse to practice my very rusty Deutsch.)

I was only referring to this article in our newspaper, but unfortunately I could not find any proof in NA newspapers. Dietrich Mateschitz (half owner of RB) is always making quick decisions. Wait and see what will happen in the near future.

thebigstubbs*

Identify those owners. Then demonstrate how they hold those views.

I doubt you can.

If you cannot, then identify your meanderings as mere opinion and move along.

It came from Bettmen, Wirtz and a few others during the lockout

HIs excact comment was the NHL was going forward and not backwards

Houston nearly got he oilers a few years ago

feal free to move along

the nhl will never be back as a team in either Quebec city or Winapeg

some people just to refuse to face the truth

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
too nasty of a response

But

yeah

it has been repeated by severel NHL talking heads that for hockey to go back to Quebec city alot would have to happen

incueding a new arena, quebec tax system reformed and a few other things.

Some people are just in complete deniel over the fact that the nhl will never go back to Quebec city

Anyone who lived in Canada knows that the Montreal Canadians rule Quebec like Toronto rules Ontario

No matter how good Ottawa is--they barely get any talk in the province during hockey season

it is almost impossible to survive in either provinces with the leafs and canadians

I had the link to the comments about Quebec and Winnapeg the Bettmen made

but at the news conference was the guy that owns the Hurricanes and I believe the bruins

The NHL has no interest in going back to Quebec or the peg

WestgateCoyote

Jun 28, 2006
Glendale, AZ
Could you please state more precisely your question? Wem means

whom.

source is www.krone.at

The Kronen Zeitung (that´s how the newspaper is called) isn´t a very reliable source coming out of Austria. They don´t know anything about NHL hockey.

Maybe Quebec City doesn´t have a NHL caliber arena - at the moment. If Mateschitz gets a chance to get a team there he´ll build that arena all by himself - I promise.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I'm sorry I don't have a link because it is just something that I've heard of TV many times before whenever this kind of topic makes it on TSN or something. But... The minimum arena capacity for the NHL is (or at least was) 15,000. When the new Winnipeg arena was being built they wanted to make it with the minimum standards for the NHL, just in case. Perhaps someone in the Peg can confirm this. And I also remember hearing that it was easily expandable.

So Quebec would be okay capacity-wise. Not that I think it matters, just trying to clear that up.

WestgateCoyote

Jun 28, 2006
Glendale, AZ
I'm sorry I don't have a link because it is just something that I've heard of TV many times before whenever this kind of topic makes it on TSN or something. But... The minimum arena capacity for the NHL is (or at least was) 15,000. When the new Winnipeg arena was being built they wanted to make it with the minimum standards for the NHL, just in case. Perhaps someone in the Peg can confirm this. And I also remember hearing that it was easily expandable.

So Quebec would be okay capacity-wise. Not that I think it matters, just trying to clear that up.

Actually the NHL doesn´t require a minimum capacity for an arena.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
no they don't have a min capacity rule

but commen logic would dictate certain things

anything under 20k seeting that does not have lots of private boxes--the nhl will not look at the city

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa

There is no minimum capacity for NHL arenas, and True North (the company who built the building) did check with the NHL if 15,000 seats would preclude them from future consideration. The NHL did not, and does not, have a problem with the size.

As far as expansion goes, there is the possibility of adding 12 additional suites below the current row of press boxes, as well as the possibility of adding one more extra row at the top of the rink. This would add about 500-600 more seats and could easily be done in the offseason.

Beyond that, though, it is not easily expandable. Doing so would require raising the roof and probably annexing at least one of the surrounding downtown streets.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hey, don't take it personally. (We like you, we really really like you.)

Actually, America doesn't get into hockey even when American teams do well.

America as a whole, sure. But America as a whole is a lot larger than Canada, population-wise.

Certain American markets get very into hockey. Others, well, I'm not going to lie and say they do. But to say that Americans do not care about hockey is an overgeneralization.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
America as a whole, sure. But America as a whole is a lot larger than Canada, population-wise.

Certain American markets get very into hockey. Others, well, I'm not going to lie and say they do. But to say that Americans do not care about hockey is an overgeneralization.

Grammer Police

Yes, America is larger when taken from a population point of view

however from a land size perspective Canada is the larger country

GSC2k2*

Grammer Police

Yes, America is larger when taken from a population point of view

however from a land size perspective Canada is the larger country
Perhaps you might want to consider resigning from the "grammer police" until you can actually learn how to spell "grammar".

You might also want to learn how to use punctuation and capital letters.

Grammer police indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad