Qubax Mock Draft

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Well I'm sure it's not very good...but just putting it here to get some feedback

This is not exactly a mock draft for the NHL... it is a hybrid of where I think a player SHOULD be taken with where he projects to be taken. This year's draft proves to be the most unpredicatable after the Top 10 or so that we've seen in sometime...and even in the top 10 the order is up to debate and somewhat the content.

1 CHI ...Kyle Turris. I actually go against the trend of having Kane number 1 and think that Turris will be selected here. This is for two reasons. I think Turris is the best player however the BCHL does not contain the level of competition that most Junior players must wade through. In this respect he's proven less. I like the comparisons to Sakic and Heatley and I think that Turris will develop into a 90-110 point first liner.

2 PHI ...James vanRiemsDyk. How can your last name not start with a capital letter. I think that's the main issue. Actually I think that JVR is maybe the most complete forward in the draft. That's between him and Voracek. Voracek going 2 was a thought...but since I am making Kane 3rd I figured I'd atleast stick with the same Top 3 as most analysts. Kane to me is a better man's Claude Giroux. I think with big and strong boys like Carter, Richards, Hartnell, Upshall, Umberger...your seeing a Flyers team that looks like it could quickly be made in the Anaheim/Ottawa mold. Big, Fast, Scary etc. JVR fits this mold very well.

3 PHX ...Patrick Kane. If Pat Kane busts and becomes an enigma then he's almost certainly likely to have that occur whilst being drafted by the Coyotes. Kane falling any farther then this is possible, but unlikely. He is what he is...Diminutive, Fast, Skilled, Hockey sense, passing, shooting blah blah. Boy sounds like I really hate the guy.

4 L.A ...Jakub Voracek. I thought that Alzner here is also reasonable. However maybe the Kings will get D through the free agent wire (Brad Stuart). Voracek is virtually interchangeable with the Top 3 but he is also usually seen outside of it. He's maybe the most NHL ready and he is very rounded and complete. He seems like a Milan Michalek type to me with a little less North/South and a little more East/West. Michalek with a little Forsberg in him perhaps.

5 WSH ...Karl Alzner. I'm having Alzner go here simply because it should prove to make the Oilers cry. Both teams could use him...and I'm convinced he'd go 7th if he was available. Semin, AO, Backstrom, Fehr etc give the Caps a nice offensive base to grow from but Alzner is almost a sure fire NHL Dman. I think this pick is based as much on need as anything else.

6 EDM ...Brandon Sutter. I think with Alzner gone the Oilers will either roll the dice on one of McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Ellerby, Blum, Cohen, Petrecki, Cross etc or they'll take one of the good forwards left with 2 more picks in the first round to snag Dmen. This draft is deeper in Dmen in my opinion so they could get 2 of the above later on. As for passing on Esposito, Gagner and Cherepanov the Oilers don't need scoring. They don't even really need forwards as much as D...and I think that they only way they are going to take a forward is to get a player with huge character, no risk, a good upside. Brandon Sutter fits the mold better then anyone I can think of. I see him as a Sutter version of Jason Arnott...to me that is a pretty good player. He seems like a winner and maybe he and Stoll can replace Ryan Smyth. I think if the Oil didn't already have Cogliano, Schremp, Nilsson etc then maybe Gagner, Espo or Cher would make sense here..but I'm going out on a huge limb here and having Sutter go a handful of picks higher then he probably will.

7 CBJ ...Sam Gagner. Again one of the defencemen are tempting. But this draft is deep in dmen. Deeper then we've seen in a few years however they are not top end guys. With the forwards on the board that are still available the Blue Jackets could not pass up on one here. I think that the Zherdev saga has shied away a little of the Cherepanov love and I think that Esposito just looks like a little to much of a project. Would not be surprised if they drafted Sutter if he was available. With Gagner still on the board I see him as a good fit as he is pure hockey sense and smooth silky upside. Low Risk, Med-High Reward.

8 BOS ...Angelo Esposito. I again think that a dman is very tempting but for previously described reasons they pass. Esposito resembles an evening of expectations...Not 1st overall and not 10 to 15 either. I've heard Boston is intrigued by him. Espo's heart, skill, passion and hockey sense have been questioned. But the fact that he has fallen so far only shows how highly he was once touted.

9 STL ...Ryan McDonagh. A potetially nasty two way dman. McDonagh can do it all and has surged in late draft rankings. The Blues could take a forward here but I see them being patient with McDonagh and letting him develop into maybe the best Dman in the draft.

10 FLA ...Logan Couture. We are getting to the point where this draft becomes a crap shoot. Even the 9th pick was getting that way. I see Jaques Martin making a safe heady selection with Couture. His speed and skating have been questioned but he's skilled and certainly not soft.

11 CAR ...Keaton Ellerby. He's drawn mixed reviews. But with Jack Johnson gone the Canes roll the dice that this big, rangy raw defencemen can reach his potential

12 MTL ...Alexei Cherepanov. Would have liked Espo here and didn't really expect Cherepanov to drop this far. Montreal has a nice prospect pool at all positions and rolls the dice on the highly skilled euro.

13 TOR ...Lars Eller. Everywhere I read I see Backlund going to the Leafs. I see Ferguson taking the highest Danish player in the history of the game. Eller has been compared to Forsberg but is still a relative unknown and masked in wierd european obscurity. A little off the board but picks 15-60 aren't really all that different.

14 COL ...Nicholas Petrecki. The biggest, meanest most Robyn Regehr like Dmen that you'll probably find in the draft. He can move the puck okay but the Aves are looking for an OLD NHL Solidifying Willie Mitchell type option. Petrecki has nice upside and I think can be a good Top 4 guy in a few years. Sort of like Matt Greene in Edmonton.

15 EDM ...Kevin Shattenkirk. Lowe snags arguably the 2nd best dmen in the draft. Shattenkirk is smooth at both ends and boasts a nice offensive upside. 1 Dmen down, 1 to go.
(from NYI)

16 ANA ...TJ Brennan. Reading Burkes mind is darn near impossible. Brennan has been compared to a poor man's Dion Phaneuf and although he's ranked a little lower then this I could see Burke making the reach. Also considered Colton Gillies.
(from T.

17 NYR ...Colby Cohen. The run on defencemen continues as big, right handed, and raw Cohen get's snagged. Very nice upside if the Blue Shirts can be patient.

18 CGY ...Jonathon Blum. It was him or Brett MacLean. Brandon Sutter alas is long gone. Some of the previous defencemen taken would have been considered.

19 MIN ...Tommy Cross. Big, stay at home defencemen with enough wheels and smarts to play in the new game. The Oilers would have likely snagged him had he survived.

20 PIT ...David Perron. Had some of the Dmen that were just taken been around then this pick might be different. Perron's a skilled winger who might just play with a decent centremen one day. Passed over entirely in last years draft, Perron has enjoyed a Patrice Bergeron type of climb and has some similarties to his game.

21 PHX ...Brett MacLean. A powerforward. With Mueller on the way MacLean could be another mobile big man to help in the Desert. One of the better Forwards available
(from DAL)

22 MTL ...Thomas Hickey. Could have gone higher, could have gone lower. The Dude's small. He makes Kris Russell look big. Well not quite. Hickey has poise, game, smarts etc. Tough to know if he's gonna be Liles or A. Ference, but Montreal likes snagging him here.
(from S.J)

23 NSH ...Zach Hamill. He could go much higher..but I could also see him going a little lower as well. Hamill helps Nashville restock some dwindling skill upfront.

24 STL ...Max Pacioretty. A raw up and coming powerforward. Some scouts liken him to Erik Cole. Max has little experience at the level that most of his peers have but the potential he has is very high.
(from ATL)

25 VAN ...Michael Backlund. I get the feeling they might trade up. In hindsight Backlund will probably be gone by now but it's impossible to predict what tomorrow will bring. Backlund is a skilled young Swede who was once a consensus Top 5 pick for the draft. He has fallen off those expectations but even now remains the number 2 European available. The Canucks could use scoring and the draft is a good place to start.

26 STL ...Alex Plante. The Blues make out with 2 solid Defencemen and a young power forward. If I were drafting for an NHL team and not for a fantasy team Plante would be a major consideration. He won't likely go much higher or lower then this and I feel that while he is more raw he could one day upend Alzner in the show
(from N.J)

27 DET ...William Sweatt. Bill Sweatt represents a forward that should be coveted in the NHL. Very Fast and strong Sweatt has limited skills but is a character player who is a safe bet to reach his potential.

28 WSH ...Colton Gillies. Well the Caps snag their Avery/Neil type. Gillies arguable may never score as much as those two however he has a great chance to make it to the NHL as a pest. He can fly out their and run you through a wall and he'd add a great dimension to a growing Capitals team.
(from BUF)

29 OTT ...Maxim Mayorov. Some have compared him to a poor mans Radulov. Maxim has great skills and is easily the most skilled player at this spot. Typical European concerns, Transfer agreement and heart...however this late in a mediocre draft Max is a fine pick.

30 EDM ...Nick Ross. The Oilers would have likely preferred Plante, Cross or Hickey but Ross represents another Dmen in the long line of depth defencemen in this draft class. Ross is a big western boy whom the Oil can watch closely. Between Ross, Shattenkirk and Sutter the Oilers add North American Skill and Character.
(from ANA)

For the 2nd round I am not paying attention to where the pick is going I am just giving a mock ranking persay from 31-60

31. Patrick White
32. Simon Hjalmarsson
33. Mark Katic D
34. Oscar Moller
35. Ian Cole D
36. Dana Tyrell
37. Jeremy Smith G
38. Logan MacMillan
39. James O'Brien
40. Taylor Ellington D
41. Stefan Legein
42. Ruslan Bashkirov
43. Kent Patterson G
44. Joakim Andersson
45. Teddy Ruth D
46. Mike Hoeffel
47. Kevin Veilleux
48. Brenden Smith D
49. P.K. Subban D
50. Yannick Weber D
51. Riley Nash
52. Sergei Korostin
53. John Negrin D
54. Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i
55. Kurtis Mucha G
56. Michael Repik
57. Kevin Marshall D
58. Eric Tangradi
59. Nick Spaling
60. Akim Aliu

OntOilFan

Aug 9, 2006
The Oilers don't need scoring?

Umm.

They finished 30th overall in the league in goals for.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
The Oilers don't need scoring?

Umm.

They finished 30th overall in the league in goals for.

Indeed! Edmonton needs powerplay contributors and great forwards!

Gagner at 6, Brendan Smith instead of Nick Ross, I have NO idea about 15 but Shattenkirk is a decent pickup. (Hamill plz?)

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Yah I mean I'm not even sure if I agree with the list and I made it....I just know on draft day you are always surprised by what transpires so I thought that I'd do a few things that would catch me off guard...in all likelyhood my top 3 is wrong(although it's the way I had it) and chances are teh Sutter pick is also off...I do see him going around 10th though...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I could see them picking one up if they are the BPA (Petrecki, Shattenkirk or McDonagh)...but not Cohen, we already took him last year (Sanguinetti)

Gord Clark re-confirmed to Larry Brooks that the Rangers are looking for a player that can play on the top two lines, so a forward is definitely the target. If Backlund's on the board, from what I've pieced together from different things I've read, he'll be the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad