WC: Quarterfinal Pre-Game Talk | FIN-NOR | RUS-CAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy*

Norway's captain Tollefsen told media they'll create HELL in Bratislava :laugh:

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
In all fairness, Finland has mostly European based players save very few stars from overseas. Bastiansen was the SEL playoffs MVP for instance, a league where several Finns play in or equal(SM-liiga). Bastiansen, Tollefsen, Olimb and Holtet are better than quite a few players on the Finnish roster, or at the very least play like it in this short tournament which is what matters for the moment.

Finland's European players are throughout a notch above, but it's not a landslide since many of them play in the same league. Both nations play like teams, which is their main strength. But on top of that Finland has some gamebreaking players and the advantage in net. Still, it's just one game.

In all fairness there is not a single player that would fit in our team. But there is a few that migh on swe judging by their sel points, sel is simply just not that good of a league anymore.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
In all fairness there is not a single player that would fit in our team. But there is a few that migh on swe judging by their sel points, sel is simply just not that good of a league anymore.

Maybe those top scorers would.. but as said its allways not about those points. We need fast energy players who finnish their checks. I would not change Komarov or Pihlström to Ovechkin, Radulov or any player in this tournament right now and thats not a Joke, they are so important for us, but probably that will sound like a joke for one who hasn't watched our games. Anyway, they who think its a joke just dont know what they are talking about. Building the team is not just taking the best scorers around euro leagues or team full of NHL grinders who just dump it and grind. We have a good player in every role. We have good grinders, otherwise good energy guys, good playmakers, two way players, even good finnishers who just havent been netting the goals enough (havent been mattering so far) and about now they need to start it.

member 116805

That was said in the same sentence where he said he wanted CZE in the QF.
Funny, and the sort of thing I am not surprised hearing from Tollefsen at all haha

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

You do realize that Finland plays with Pyörälä and Jaakola right? What an ignorant reply to my serious and objective notes..

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
You do realize that Finland plays with Pyörälä and Jaakola right?
Yeah.. damn you jalonen. We had better players for them but no, ofcourse not. Well, pyörälä in first line (moved from 4th line) has started working, as hes a 2way forward, he gives Mikko Koivu more freedom to play offensive game without worrying about defence all the time.

Jaakola.. What can i say. Probably sohuld just say Karalahti, and hes not only one who could have been selected here..

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
You do realize that Finland plays with Pyörälä and Jaakola right? What an ignorant reply to my serious and objective notes..

yes and that says a lot about elitserien too. they have done nothing to be on this team. but theyll most likely be the last sel players in a long time.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
yes and that says a lot about elitserien too. they have done nothing to be on this team. but theyll most likely be the last sel players in a long time.

If you want to discuss league statuses why don't you come over to the Swedish board.. This thread is about the quarterfinals, and my original post had nothing in it trying to start a hissy fit. Stop trying to put words into mouths and stay on topic, so that we can have a reasonable discussion. Thanks.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

I see it the way sel players have skill, but they have adjusted in a playing style in sweden that wont fit our game plan or wont make a good mix with our top end forwards. Jaakola has been having problems for example to start offensive game fast, what would give room to top end forwards and make it hardred to trap that center-ice. Even Väänänen, not referred as "puckhandling skilled" (wtf) D-man starts offensives faster.

Imo our team overral style is more like fast paced tough hockey were we put the puck to the net, and some of players specially D's cant play that style good and thats the problem. If they could, we could change our style better uring the game like from puck control team who makes passes at its own end and traps the play to dump&forecheck north american style grinding.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Czechs have been the class of this tournament, but the U.S. has a shot if the goaltending is up to snuff. Ty Conklin-channel 2004! Where is Andy Roach? :laugh:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I see it they way sel players have skill, but they have adjusted in a playing style in sweden that wont fit our game plan or wont make a good mix with our top end forwards. Jaakola has been having problems for example to start offensive game fast, what would give room to top end forwards and make it hardred to trap that center-ice. Even Väänänen, not referred as "puckhandling skilled" (wtf) D-man starts offensives faster.

Imo our team overral style is more like fast paced tough hockey were we put the puck to the net, and some of players specially D's cant play that style good and thats the problem. If they could, we could change our style better uring the game like from puck control team who makes passes at its own end and traps the play to dump&forecheck north american style grinding

Same problems for us. We have a few teams like Djurgården, AIK and Luleå(Jaakola's team) trying to play a more straight-forward type of hockey, but other than that the hockey that is played doesn't translate well into our strategy on Team Sweden(or internationally), so you really have to cherry-pick the players. That is also why we have so many youngsters from NA on our team, we don't have more than a handful of good middle-aged guys at home.

Stifmeister

Feb 23, 2010
CZE-USA 3-1
GER-SWE 2-5
FIN-NOR 2-0
RUS-CAN 2-3 [ot]

Now go make some bets! You can thank unca Stif later...

svea

Feb 18, 2006
They will need to; while Finland's roster is nothing impressive, their spirit is.

Norway will need feverish defense to stop the Finns, who have exhibited a knack for slowly pulverizing the opposing team's lead.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
So Canada goes undefeated in the tournament, and gets to play Russia in the quarterfinals? Looks like another early exit.

Russia wins 5-2. With the firepower that the Russians have, there is no way that this game is even close at any time.

Mhs

May 1, 2011
Norway reaching the quarter finals, is more than anyone would have dared to hope for in Norway prior to the championship. Its the teams spirit to never back down, and just work hard shift after shift. And they have gotten good results due to that, everyone is laying it on the line for team.

And thats why a lot of Norwegians, myself included, think that we got a good shot against Finland.

No one is claiming that we should win, Finlands advantages are stacked to high for that. But we are allowed to hope. And I dont care wich god damned league the players play in or what "quality" the leagues are considered to have. Because its the players playing like a team beneath the red white and blue that matters. FYI that team is acording to iihfs team stats ranked higher in this tourny (so far) at every major stat exept attendance, although norway have taken 6x2 more penaltys.(its ranked by higest amount of peanltys,

So as long as Norway can stay out of the box more than the finns, I say we got perhaps our best shot ever at getting to the semi finals.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Czech Republic >>> USA
Sweden > Germany
Finland > Norway
Canada >>> Russia

Sweden > Czech Republic
Canada >> Finland

Canada > Sweden
Czech Republic > Finland

So Canada goes undefeated in the tournament, and gets to play Russia in the quarterfinals? Looks like another early exit.

Russia wins 5-2. With the firepower that the Russians have, there is no way that this game is even close at any time.

Because their firepower even comes close to ours? Realistically this is Canada's tournament to lose. Despite our goaltending situation, and our average (for Canada) blueline, our forward lines are really good and there's no reason to believe any team, on paper, should beat us.

Nordic Pride

Jan 20, 2011
Sweden
I think hockey is the only sport where I actually root for Norway. Can't stand their success in ski sports but when it comes to hockey I actually want them to do well. I must be sick...

Doubt that you can upset Finland though, but like someone else said. This must be the best (only?) oppurtunity so far to actually be able to play for medals.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Anything can happen in one game. I think it will be tough for Germany, Norway or USA to advance, but they all have a shot if their goaltending can carry them. I have no idea what will happen in the Canada vs Russia game. I could see either team win it. Too bad that most of us will be at work when the game is on.

Nordic Pride

Jan 20, 2011
Sweden
Anything can happen in one game. I think it will be tough for Germany, Norway or USA to advance, but they all have a shot if their goaltending can carry them. I have no idea what will happen in the Canada vs Russia game. I could see either team win it. Too bad that most of us will be at work when the game is on.

That's what paid sick days are for...

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Czech Republic >>> USA

...Because their firepower even comes close to ours? Realistically this is Canada's tournament to lose. Despite our goaltending situation, and our average (for Canada) blueline, our forward lines are really good and there's no reason to believe any team, on paper, should beat us.

i say canada over russia in this one but lol at this statement, its always canadas tournament to lose :)

The Right Price

May 9, 2010
This version of Team Finland is one I haven't seen pretty much since the World Champs 07. This group plays as a team and have shown tremendous resiliency in their games. Our biggest disadvantage is which goalie to roll with. Our targers should be to score the first goal of the game.

And it's exactly there where Norway's chance lie. Get the first goal of the game past the 30 minute mark and trap it down.

Sweden-Finland in the finals if Russia beats Canada. Sweden-Canada otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->