Quarterfinal Pre-Game Talk • CAN/SUI • FIN/RUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
honestly i think finland will destroy russia. few fast goals and its gonna be a ****. the drive in finnish team is as high as it can be and its pretty much the most important game many of these guys will play in whole season. now having said that it probably be the opposite way :laugh:

Frankly I think that Finland has an upper hand only in goaltending.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
I cheer of course for Switzerland and Finland but I think the Swiss are without real chance against Canada while Finland is may be able to beat Russia if the goalie plays really well and they play disciplined.

So I expect an easy win for Canada while Finland-Russia will be a very close game. I hope Finland will leave the ice as winner. If they win only with 1 goal difference 3-2 or 2-1 or something like that I hope.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009

Haven't seen any of russia's games yet but i'd go as far as this might be the best offence we've had in 2000-century. We have been offensivly dominant so far in every game this year and to some extent versus Usa too.

Now I can't say the same thing about last couple of years.

Last edited:

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
As per Fin Rus ... The Finns are really good this year ! mabe they will go up to the final ... and who knows ... Become WCJ Champions !!

Yeah, well, they have been solid so far, but you seem to have forgotten the rule that Finns never win finals, though they play gloriously well in bronze matches... Anyway, I don't think we have the material to get to the final in the first place. Not that this lack would be anything really new - I simply don't get this doom and gloom about international hockey based on WJC results. Has no-one taken a look at the tournament history? These games have always had a much narrower top competition than on the men's level. That's just the way it is - if anything, with Switzerland and Germany sometimes pulling upsets, it's more even than it used to be.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Finland plays better as a team. Also coaching is very good for finland. Marjamaki has created system which fit perfectly for finland and its amazing how these players are committed to it. My prediction is that finland will dominate the game shoot more and russia struggle to get past neutral zone. However russia can win this game with their invidual skill and bobkov has to be good today. I hope marjamaki stays as a head coach of u-20 because he is very talented and he get the team together makes them believe in the system and the players buy it and everyone is 100% committed to it. Btw marjamaki is 33-years old?

Sep 19, 2008
Bob McKenzie insists that Visentin will start tonight

http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=347641

Canadian coach Dave Cameron says he's not a fan of trash talk but couldn't resist a response to a perceived slight from Swedish coach Roger Ronnberg at the world junior hockey championship.

After Sweden downed Canada 6-5 in a shootout, Ronnberg raised some eyebrows when he said his team's defence was tested more in earlier games against Russia and the Czech Republic than it was against the Canadians.

Cameron's reaction?

"I'll answer that in two parts, is that fair?" he said with a smile as he met with media Saturday morning. "The first part is, they beat us. He's the king of the mountain right now and he can say what he wants.

"The second part is I wish part of this tournament was a shinny game between coaches, with no media."

Watching the TSN videos, apparently Conz "really struggles" against Canada. Here's to a big win.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Finland plays better as a team. Also coaching is very good for finland. Marjamaki has created system which fit perfectly for finland and its amazing how these players are committed to it. My prediction is that finland will dominate the game shoot more and russia struggle to get past neutral zone. However russia can win this game with their invidual skill and bobkov has to be good today. I hope marjamaki stays as a head coach of u-20 because he is very talented and he get the team together makes them believe in the system and the players buy it and everyone is 100% committed to it. Btw marjamaki is 33-years old?

In the latest two games Russia played very well as team, scoring goals off good combinations. We have to see how this works with better competition, though.
And I don't think that any team will "dominate" the other in this game. It's a close game and both teams can win. The win might well be achieved with a 1-goal difference.
I can't wait for the game to start.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
In the latest two games Russia played very well as team, scoring goals off good combinations. We have to see how this works with better competition, though.
And I don't think that any team will "dominate" the other in this game. It's a close game and both teams can win. The win might well be achieved with a 1-goal difference.

Yeap its still what 12 hours?!*!#*¤*¤!%*¤&!*&

I think ill take some beer and put the sauna on :)

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Finland has played good as a team in every game and it has getting better in every game. I truly believe after seeing both russia and finland games that finland will dominate this game slightly but i won't predict who wins. It's a good game.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Finland plays better as a team. Also coaching is very good for finland. Marjamaki has created system which fit perfectly for finland and its amazing how these players are committed to it.

I hope marjamaki stays as a head coach of u-20 because he is very talented and he get the team together makes them believe in the system and the players buy it and everyone is 100% committed to it. Btw marjamaki is 33-years old?

Yeah. Marjamäki is 33 years old.

His main work is asst. coach for Blues, Espoo. After this season Marjamäki will be Head Coach of Blues... I think he will no longer be U20 coach.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Living in Finland for 10+ years I'll have a tough time choosing which team to cheer for. In the last few tournaments it looks like a must for Russia and Finland to play against each other in the elimination round :(

I do like team play of Finland. Up to this point they are the best in this component. They certainly don't look like U20 team... very mature, calm with the puck, smart passes, no panic. Frankly, I don't see a way how Russia can overcome this. Kitsyn, Tarasenko, Orlov, and Kuznetsov all need to be at their best invividual performances for Russia to win. Anyway, it'll be close game as usual. Something like 2:4, 2:3, 1:2.

Go Russia, go Finland!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canada still has a favorable road to the gold medal game. I can't see them losing to the Swiss (I'll go 5-1) and any potential game against the U.S. is a toss-up. Finland/Russia is much more interesting IMO. A true contrast in styles. I like Russia in that one (4-2).

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
I think the Swiss will make it a war for Canada tonight. Conz was unbelievable Friday night and i think hell stand on his head again, however in a losing effort. 4-2 Canada and 5-3 Finland tonight

pouskin74*

dominate means shoot more?:sarcasm: struggle in what? ok. we will see :nod:

MR50goalscorer

† Assyrian MMA †
Jan 26, 2008
Canada
i think the Swiss will keep this to a close game, we seen it against the U.S.

Canada has the capability the score an insane amount of goals given the chance...

Canada should win this one 5-2 due to Canada's success in the PP while the Swiss struggle on their PP

pouskin74*

didn't you really unerstand what he wrote? I guess he more or less clearly explained that we're going to have trouble entering their defensive zone. And I agree. They have a system, we don't.

:laugh: keep going

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I will be rooting for Finland. We've already met Russia, and well, Tarasenko scares me.

Have to agree. Russia is not the team I want Sweden to be up against in a semi. Tarasenko might just pull it off all by himself :laugh:

Last edited:

cenas*

Finland rarely beats anyone by a big margin in goals. I think it will be close.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
My prediction:

5-2 Canada over the Swiss.
4-3 Russia over Finland (could go either way, maybe the finns take it 4-3 instead. It will be a close one)

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
As much as it pains me I must root for Canada today. That way when we repeat gold no one can say " It doesn't count you didn't have to play canada "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad