Quarterfinal Pre-Game Talk • CAN/SUI • FIN/RUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAI77

Feb 18, 2006
NY
Honestly....

There is no team in the world I hate more than the swiss. The calculating basturds are masters of getting out every inch of from the team. You know what I mean. They are Rolexing themselves through every tournament. Masters of trap. I just hate them.

I'll add the fact that as a country they are known for cherrypicking themselves amongst the european treatys and other interstate relationships, Hey, just ask an austrian of what he thinks of a swiss. He can fill it out better than me.

So good luck to you Canucks....

I have to agree and I'm surprised more people don't see it this way. I wouldn't say that I actually "hate" the Swiss since I personally have no reason to but the team's style of play is so boring; really it's anti-hockey. Full credit to them for getting great results in these tournaments, and the more countries playing and caring about hockey the better, but their style of play is excruciating to watch, it makes the Devils look like the Edmonton Oilers of the 80's.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I have to agree and I'm surprised more people don't see it this way. I wouldn't say that I actually "hate" the Swiss since I personally have no reason to but the team's style of play is so boring; really it's anti-hockey. Full credit to them for getting great results in these tournaments, and the more countries playing and caring about hockey the better, but their style of play is excruciating to watch, it makes the Devils look like the Edmonton Oilers of the 80's.

Its interesting you say this because the TSN crew was remarking about how the Swiss dont trap like they used to.

I dont find them to be jacques lemaire boring.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Canada should beat Switzerland pretty easily. I'm hoping that Visentin gets the start and gets a shutout, and that the Canadian defencemen have figured out how to clear the puck out of their zone.

I would guess that Russia beats Finland. While Finland has been very solid so far I expect Russia's elite talent to come through in one of the big games... plus I find that Russia usually does quite well against Finland.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Even if I agree that the Swiss sometimes use a "boring" trapping game plan, I can't really fault them for having that approach against the bigger hockey nations. It's all about making the most of less. If they were to go gung-ho against Canada it would be a slaughter. This way at least they have a chance to win. Especially since they have pretty good goaltending.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I think you might as well go for visentin. In canada, finishing 4th or 5th is just as bad as finishing 2nd, so you might as well use this game to try and get visentin in a groove.

Sure, you can use Roy for this game and he will likely win, but is anyone confident that he can do it again as the opponents get tougher? Based on what we've seen, the answer is no.

You might as well use this game as a starting point for visentin, and see how he reacts against the tougher opponents, and if he ends up crapping the bed against the swiss, so what? It doesnt look like roy was going to get you to the promised land anyways.

I think it is harsh on Roy as the Swedes were better than Canada yesterday but Cameron almost has to go with Visentin unless he truly believes he cannot win with him. It is possible he believes this and I would love to see Roy get redemption.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I look forward to the Russia/Finland game, they both have good teams and the winner of the game will be a tough opponent for Sweden in the semifinals. In 2010 Sweden was clearly superior to Russia this year it was really close, and Russia probably created more chances than the swedes,

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I will be rooting for Finland. We've already met Russia, and well, Tarasenko scares me.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Honestly....

There is no team in the world I hate more than the swiss. The calculating basturds are masters of getting out every inch of from the team. You know what I mean. They are Rolexing themselves through every tournament. Masters of trap. I just hate them.

I'll add the fact that as a country they are known for cherrypicking themselves amongst the european treatys and other interstate relationships, Hey, just ask an austrian of what he thinks of a swiss. He can fill it out better than me.

I believe that it changed a lot ! (as someone mentioned earlier !)

The trap was used when the players aren't skilled !

as skill starts ramping up ... you pass to a more aggressive/spectacular style to optimize the output.

In my view this is what is happening ... therefore people enjoy watching the Swiss ! Because it is spectacular.

The trap is not to be confused with when they are simply territorialy dominated !!
But on that, i am sure that you know enough hockey to see the difference.

nada

Sep 27, 2006
Honestly....

That's probably the stupidest thing I've ever read on here.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
For Finland's -91 and -92 borns, this is a chance to redeem themselves for the choke job in the semifinal of 2009 U-18 WJC. Won their group, played great, face Russia (whom hey beat in the group stage comfortably), can't put two passes together, everyone thinking about the final already, lose 0-4. :shakehead Time for a payback, boys.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
honestly i think finland will destroy russia. few fast goals and its gonna be a ****. the drive in finnish team is as high as it can be and its pretty much the most important game many of these guys will play in whole season. now having said that it probably be the opposite way :laugh:

eberle 144

Dec 22, 2010
How does this roster stack up:naughty::laugh:

Hall Duchene Kane
Shenn Seguin Skinner
Clifford Oreilly Kassian
Foligno couturier Leblanc
johansen

Gormley Ellis
Cowen Gudbranson
Despres Dehaan
Olsen

Visentin

Last edited:

Lehtz

Dec 3, 2006
Russia-Finland should be close one. While Russia has a bit more skill than Finland and so they kinda got upper hand there, I still think Finland will be able to challenge Russia pretty evenly with their solid gameplan and good goaltending.

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Something tells me that when the Canadians beat the Swiss it's going to be a close game. It's not going to be more than 3 goals. I'll predict a 4-1 Canada final.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

How does this roster stack up:naughty::laugh:

Hall Duchene Kane
Shenn Seguin Skinner
Clifford Johansen Kassian
Foligno couturier Leblanc

Gormley Ellis
Cowen Gudbranson
Despres Dehaan
Olsen

Visentin

You forgot Ryan O'Reilly will the Avalanche.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Canada-Swiss should be good. This game will come down to how many mistakes the swiss make and goaltending. Swiss could make it tough for canada if they play as they have against us in recent history.

Finland's probably the better team, but i kind of hope russia wins this. Would be nice to have the classic powers as the final 4.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Both games should be really good. Hopefully Canada can pick up the win and some confidence and momentum at the same time.

Bob Mackienzie says he will be really surprised if they dont start Visentin. As an Oilers fan obviously Id like to see Roy. But as a Canada fan, I dont care, just hope that whoever starts tomorrow can get some defensive support and can get some confidence and hopefully get on a roll.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I think we're getting close to the point where fans and players think Switzerlans has a fair chance to beat Canada. And that's a very dangerous situation, so I expect a blowout.
The only way I see a close game there would be a fantastic Conz and an early lead...

btw, I understand that some of you don't like the fact that the Swiss are able to make the most out of their limited talent, but what has that to do with international relationship?!? Try to stay classy, guys!

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Finns are Russ-killers. My bet is 3-2 Finland.

Switzerland had their one great game against USA, their tank is empty. That along with the fact that Canada is pissed after losing to Sweden. My bet is 6-1 Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->